Finally I made up my mind. I'm going to buy the Bold 9700 instead of Nokia's E72. I'm not a hardcore e-mail user, but the BB has a nicer screen, and looks better IMO.

But then someone told me that the browser on the Bold 9700 is really crap. I found a video on youtube, that showed a bold on 3G was a little faster then the same bold on wifi. (when loading a website)

When I read reviews here, I hardly see people complaining about the browser. Just how bad is it, compared to, say the Nokia e72? Im not expecting a iPhone like browser on a blackberry, but if it's really as bad as I heard, I'm better off with the E72.

Has it improved (or will it improve) with firmware updates? Or is everyone using Opera mini?
    11-30-09 01:13 AM
    I would like to know this aswell.
    11-30-09 01:25 AM
    The browser is pretty bad but I think we will see some big improvements soon. RIM knows it is their weak spot and are working hard to fix it. In the meantime there are third party browsers that work very well, namely Opera and the Bolt browser.
    11-30-09 01:32 AM
    I don't think the browser is that bad at all. But then again, I'm coming from IE mobile on WinMo, which is gawdawful.
    11-30-09 01:38 AM
    The browser is rather weak when compared to some others, but it really shouldn't be a dealbreaker - IMO. Between the native browser and Bolt, I get any web sufing taken care of rather nicely.

Bold 3G faster than on WiFi?? Ummmm... Don't know about that one. My tests in the General Discussion forum say otherwise. lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 01:40 AM
    If you are not a big email user then maybe you should consider an android device. BB is the king of messaging. Browsing is horrible, even while using those other clients, and everything else is pretty...mediocre, like youtube, gaming, or media management for instance.

I like android because it, at this moment, provides a nice middle ground between iPhone and BlackBerry...I am waiting better enterprise support and security before I completely abandon BlackBerry.
    11-30-09 01:55 AM
    browser isn't that bad imo, but i don't use it that much either
    11-30-09 02:05 AM
    It's not bad nor is it great, but OperaMini and Bolt works better.
    11-30-09 02:07 AM
    iunno im still thinkin about switching from iphone... but this is my only reason not to.
    11-30-09 02:57 AM
    It's not bad nor is it great, but OperaMini and Bolt works better.
    There is always one lol. The browser is dookie lol straight up ****, I use my 9700 for work only and to post on cb of course, and my droid for everything else, and from the sounds of your post a berry might not be for you maybe you should check out android, or webOS.

11-30-09 04:51 AM
    I use the browser everyday and I fine it OK. I'm not sure what people want from a browser that the BB browser doesn't do. Maybe I need to read more about what Opera or Bolt does.
    11-30-09 05:01 AM
    I use the browser everyday and I fine it OK. I'm not sure what people want from a browser that the BB browser doesn't do. Maybe I need to read more about what Opera or Bolt does.
    People want better quality, a better picture, better video, and not a choppy one things of that nature Just check out some youtube video of an iphone browser, or a droid browser not just the speed but the picture quality, and how videos look when they play, then maybe you will understand a bit better

11-30-09 05:06 AM
    well browser is not the most modern but it works fine.

- the thing is that RIM bought a company to develop a web kit browser
    like safari .. so its coming pretty soon

and there are already a few other browsers on BB
    to use besides the BB one.

like Opera Mini
    and Bolt Browser ..

I would not worry too much about that - the hardware is sound
    and platform growing. BlackBerry App World - Home

there are lots of apps around .. CB has tons too BlackBerry Apps and BlackBerry Themes- Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

chill out .. its all good man.

11-30-09 05:18 AM
    The BlackBerry browser is great for viewing mobile sites. Not so much for html sites.

i browse a lot and use Bolt for full sites, which is good. Renders pages nicely.

Thankfully many sites have mobile versions or apps so i find myself using the BlackBerry browser (with wap sites) more than Bolt.

11-30-09 05:19 AM
    I briefly browsed on my brother's E71 while ago, compared to that BB browser is more or less on par. Not sure about the E72 though.
    11-30-09 05:27 AM
    coming from the best non-touchscreen browser (s60's webkit, used a E71 for around a year before getting the 9700), i can say, yes, the webkit browser is better, but the 9700's standard browser is more than adequate to even view more complex webpages like digg or engadget.
    what i also noticed is that due to some kind of reduction algorythm thingy (whatever), the 9700 is faster than my E71 (both on the same wifi), especially on more complex pages.
    hope that helped you (i too had to decide between the E72 and the 9700 and i'm sooo happy with my choice :-).

11-30-09 06:00 AM
    I am just a regular personal user of the Blackberry and I know how people always have a go at the browser on every BB, but really it is absolutely fine! People seem to be expecting high-speed broadband connections, but it works just great most of the time. (Vodafone UK)
    11-30-09 06:04 AM
    it really depends on your connection to the network, i know the browser takes a while to render pages but its more than adequate for asking google the odd question and light browsing, if you want full internet, grab a laptop and away to go, its a better experience than on any phone.
    11-30-09 06:29 AM
    There is always one lol. The browser is dookie lol straight up ****, I use my 9700 for work only and to post on cb of course, and my droid for everything else, and from the sounds of your post a berry might not be for you maybe you should check out android, or webOS.

Yes and he should take your advice based on your "dookie" comment....

The browser is not the best but it does what it should. Display websites. It should not be a deal breaket.

11-30-09 06:33 AM
    Thanks all, for the usefull replies. The E72 has a slightly better browser, but the Bold has a nicer screen, and looks better. My guess is that the E72 has a better navigation software available. (for Europe)

Choices, choices.
    12-01-09 01:22 AM
    Thanks all, for the usefull replies. The E72 has a slightly better browser, but the Bold has a nicer screen, and looks better. My guess is that the E72 has a better navigation software available. (for Europe)

Choices, choices.
    my advice would be to check out both browsers in person. If browsing is your priority, there are definitely better choices than BlackBerry.
    12-01-09 01:36 AM
    I don't think it's "bad."..especially when compared to a plethora of other phones. There are certainly some major improvements which could be made, but in my opinion it's definitely not "bad."

I'll be really pleased when we get some tabbed browsing, tho! Still eager to get some skyfire luv too!

12-01-09 01:51 AM

Choices, choices.
    Decided to do some research on this question, and found a great review highlighting some good pro's of the E72 vs the tour although I know your decision is between the bold. This write up and then reading bold 2 post may better help you make your decision. As far as gps yes the E72 does have a better gps then the blackberry. As well as video conference call capabilities, this could be a deal breaker for you or not.

http://mobile.pcworld.com/htmlsite/html_article.php?id=1&CALL_URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pc world.com%2Farticle%2F166737%2Fblackberry_tour_vs_ nokia_e72_the_battle_for_business.html

12-01-09 03:07 AM
    I don't think it's "bad."..especially when compared to a plethora of other phones. There are certainly some major improvements which could be made, but in my opinion it's definitely not "bad."

I'll be really pleased when we get some tabbed browsing, tho! Still eager to get some skyfire luv too!

Also this is a matter of personal opinion because I have compared the berry browser to a plethora of phones out there and it DEFINITLY is BAD, the only phones it is beating are strictly messaging phones. Smartphone wise it is putting up a strong bid to come in last place

12-01-09 03:10 AM
    I don't find it bad at all. As one poster mentioned coming from using IE on WM phones, I find the browser to be quite good.

12-01-09 06:44 AM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD