I get Activation Required message when I turn hotspot on on my 9900 with 7.1.0.1098 OS, but when I put the same SIM in other phones that I have: 9930 with 7.1.0.1066 OS from Verizon and Nokia Lumia 365 from T-Mobile - hotspot works! I'm with Walmart Family Mobile on T-Mobile network. Now, on 9930 hotspot didn't work at first either and gave me the same message, but then it started working without me do anything in particular!

Any suggestions on how to get my hotspot working on my 9900.
    01-02-18 10:54 AM
    I pretty amazed you have a prepaid plan and it works with BIS......

Are the Service Books the same on both BBOS devices?
    rayporsche likes this.
    01-02-18 11:25 AM
    What I do is load non BIS service books (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...books-1136221/ Click HERE!), then I register my handheld on the network for BIS books to come in. It doesn't rewrite Anworm book, but it does MMS. Then I delete WAP BrowserConfig service book. This way I'm able to watch videos on YouTube, visit all websides, use Blackberry World and navigation, but I can't send/receive picture messages!
    01-31-18 10:25 PM
    Should there be any particular book responsible for hotspot? Because BIS books look the same on both phones - at least they have the same names!
    02-01-18 09:21 AM
    What I do is load non BIS service books (https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...books-1136221/ Click HERE!), then I register my handheld on the network for BIS books to come in. It doesn't rewrite Anworm book, but it does MMS. Then I delete WAP BrowserConfig service book. This way I'm able to watch videos on YouTube, visit all websides, use Blackberry World and navigation, but I can't send/receive picture messages!
    It is possible, but involved and time-consuming, to alter a set of service books to enable MMS on your network. There's a learning curve.

Here are a couple of guides I wrote:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-bis-1105542/

See post #6 in this thread too: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-books-998875/ Note that where it says that you should read the BlackBerry Support Forums article, those forums are shut down, and that article was moved to CrackBerry. It's the 'how to enable MMS without bis' link I provided above.

Editing custom service books involves a lot of trial and error. You edit, install, and try to send yourself a picture message. If it doesn't work, try to figure out what other setting you might change. You can't know precisely how the network has their service books set up. It's a good idea to find as many versions as you can online to get a sense of the possibilities. I've had people ask me in the past to do it for them, but it's too cumbersome when you're not on their network yourself.

That being said, I have a set of working MMS service books for Koodo prepaid if anyone wants them.
    02-01-18 09:33 AM
    If you'd clicked on the link I provided, you would've seen my other thread where I explained that I'd created a custom service book for MMS to work, but the problem is that it gets re-written with BIS's which doesn't work!
    02-01-18 09:53 AM
    If your device didn't keep re-installing the service books, after registering, you could re-install the custom MMS book, and be fine as long as you didn't hit register again. However, that point is moot, since your device keeps re-installing them with each re-boot.

With respect to the hotspot service book, I've seen a number of suggestions here on CrackBerry that a service book does control the hotspot capability. I don't know if anyone truly knows that. People often say more than they know.

Again, if your device didn't constantly re-install, one strategy would be to grab the service books from the working device, one at a time, and install them over the ones on the non-working device. You might potentially stumble on a fix that way.

But as things stand, it's just going to re-register and overwrite them.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 02-01-18 at 07:57 PM.
    02-01-18 07:39 PM
    It's the carrier, not the servicebooks. Hotspot works just fine on my bold 9900.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    02-02-18 01:03 AM