I bought a 9930 off a guy I work with to upgrade from my 9670. Since I have been reading all these complaints about the camera I took side-by-side pictures to see for myself. I was horrified to find that the picture from the high-tech 9930 had only half the clarity of my 4 year old phone!

Now I'm kind of on the fence about using this thing. I'll give it a shot, but if the camera gives me fits then in the drawer it goes.

And yes, I do have a Canon that I take when I know I'm going to take pictures that count, and NO I am not going to lug the thing around for every little thing I want a shot of, especially when I am going to want to send that picture to someone! (Serial # tags, documents, parts, etc.)

If they put an autofocus camera in the new units (and maybe also have an option to switch to EDOF mode for fast shots) I just might have to buy one, and pawn my current 9930 on some poor unsuspecting bastid.
    03-31-14 08:08 PM
    I'm sure it will have a much better camera.
    03-31-14 08:37 PM
    No development work is being done on these phones - nothing is changing. They're simply producing another run of these phones (likely 9900/9930). BB no longer has a BBOS hardware division - those folks were all either let go or reassigned, so there is no one to design, integrate, program, test, and certify new hardware, and even if there were, that would add months of delay and would cause the new phones to have to be re-certified for their security authorizations.

So, expect the new 9900s to be exactly the same as the old 9900s. There is absolutely no evidence, and no reason, to expect anything else.
    03-31-14 09:08 PM
    Have to agree with you there Troy. Also as another poster said, 7.1 from O2 UK is so stable, why bother to change it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-01-14 12:03 PM
    So just from changing 1 part they'd have to go through the whole security certification again?

Oh well, it's still a good phone and the Q20 will be out soon no doubt with a good camera.
    04-02-14 09:12 PM
    Ya I would expect it to be 100% the same. They are just restarting the production line so to speak
    04-02-14 09:33 PM
    So just from changing 1 part they'd have to go through the whole security certification again?
    A new camera would require new drivers which would require re-certification, yes. That's due to the (very outdated) architecture of BBOS. The same would not be true of any modern smartphone OS, including BB10 - they are modular enough that a recertification wouldn't be needed.
    Ray III likes this.
    04-02-14 10:50 PM