Hi everyone,

I've read the reviews but I'd be really interested to hear your real life experiences of internet on the Bold.

I imagine it's unfair to hope it could be anywhere near as good as on the iphone. How have you all found it??

I saw the youtube video comparing rendering speeds. Have you found the Bold slow?

And what about the page rendering? Is it like a desktop experience?

And finally, do you miss not having any flash content? I noticed that the nokia e71 has full flash compatibility and this appeals to me...

Lots of questions!!

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Nick
    08-28-08 03:19 PM
    Personally I find its ok. Since ive not owned a previous blackberry, i can hardly compare it to older models but Im pretty sure the browsing experience is at good as it gets when it comes to blackberries. Concidering that the main features of the blackberry isnt browsing, I find they did a very good job.

But considering the size of the Iphone's screen and the use of Safari, the iphone outperformes the "browsing experience" of the Blackberry. By this I mean it is more easy to browse from an iphone then it is on the Bold.

Various speed test shows the iphone loads pages faster then the Bold but not by that much. The main difference I find is that Safari starts showing objects as they are downloaded whereas the Bold seems to wait until it has all it needs before starting to display the page. So while the iphone is showing images, the bold is showing a blank (white) page and makes it look like its taking alot more time to load.

In my humble opinion if the Bold Browser displayed the images as soon as it received them, it would of been harder to see a major difference between the speed of both browsers.

But the "browsing experience" is better on the iphone
    08-28-08 04:22 PM
    thanks Evil.

I actually find your response a little depressing (nothing personal!!!) in so far as if I switch to BB, the multimedia element is going to be very important. When you say internet is not what a Blackberry is for, you are right. But if I accepted that, I would be better off getting a smaller curve than a Bold.

The problem of course is no single phone solves all the questions!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    08-28-08 04:34 PM
    Seriously consider what you plan on doing with the device
    iphone = entertainment
    blackberry = work

But it is important to remember that both phone do both but each phone has their advantage/disadvantage.

One major advantage to makes people get the Bold however (since most use it mainly for work purpose) is the physical keyboard. Virtual keybaord on the iphone is nice but isnt as reliable as a physical keybaord. So it really boils down to wether you want a multimedia device or a work device.

Although the BOLD is more stylish then previous blackberry and seems more multimedia oriented, its still a work phone.

If eye candy is what your looking for, definetly an iphone.

Remember one thing, which I find is really important is that Blackberry has expandable memory whereas iphone doest not. And if you understand this you know how iphone makes it money. They do it with ipods they will do it with the iphone. If you want to upgrade your iphone memory you will need to wait until they start selling and upgraded version and buy a new version. An example of this is current iphones are selling in 8Gb and 16Gb flavors wheras the blackberry sells as 1 flavor and you ugrade it to fit your need!

The blackberry blod currently supports up to 32Gb of MicroSDHC memory which you will be able to buy as soon as they become available without having to buy a new Blackberry. that is something important to consider when buying such device
    Last edited by evilstrike; 08-28-08 at 05:55 PM.
    08-28-08 05:48 PM
    I got it earlier this week and have done almost all R&D on it. Internet experiance is pretty much same as curve. Its good and Blackberry must be working overtime for this and upcoming devices
    08-28-08 05:53 PM
    If I want a full desktop experience I go to a full desktop and Firefox and all my beloved extensions. End of.

When mobile and I want to check this or that info, search for an answer... the Bold, Viigo, it's native browser and/or Opera Mini more than suffice.
    08-28-08 05:56 PM
    Evil: I will have to disagree with you a bit when you say the page load times are "not that different". 11 seconds is a pretty good difference to me.

That was one of the big benefits of 3g, browsing speed. When someone who just got a Bold, relates the speed to that of a curve.................Somethin' ain't right................

I use my mobile internet access quite a bit for my job. I check stock, place orders, check backorders, etc. multiple times a day.

Looks like my wait has been for nothing.

Thanks RIM.
    08-28-08 06:33 PM
    Threads such as this are pointless IMHO: we all live in different locations, on different carriers and visit different sites so it's impossible to compare experiences. All I know is that with Wi-Fi off and 3G on my Bold is damn fast at doing what I want to do. For many reasons I mainly use Opera Mini (bookmarks syncing across multiple devices etc) more than the default browser, but both perform as I would expect.
    08-28-08 06:42 PM
    b00001: 11seconds is minor is you remember when you were browsing on EDGE! However like I mentionned,
    Safari outperforms the BB browser in speed which makes the iphone,
    A better device if your main use for the device is "browsing"

BUT remember that the BB browser is software which means in time is quite possible that it can be easily upgraded
    Without the need of buying a new device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by evilstrike; 08-28-08 at 06:47 PM.
    08-28-08 06:44 PM
    b00001: 11seconds is minor is you remember when you were browsing on EDGE! However like I mentionne,
    Safari outperforms the BB browser in speed which makes the iphone,
    A better device if you main use is of the device is "browsing"

BUT remember that the BB browser is software which means in time is quite possible that it can be easily upgraded
    Without the need of buying a new device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good Point!!!!

When my local ATT gets some, I will go in and demo them a bit before passing judgement.

Thanks!
    08-28-08 06:48 PM
    Evil:
    That was one of the big benefits of 3g, browsing speed. When someone who just got a Bold, relates the speed to that of a curve.................Somethin' ain't right.................
    You have to also take into account that the person who stated the speed of bold is equal to that of the curve is using it on t-mobile, who doesn't use the 3g freq. the bold supports
    08-28-08 08:56 PM
    Okay I just tried my wifi with the Itouch and yes its faster comparing it with the BB browser but when comparing using Opera Mini its the same.

You guys are correct in saying that BB Browser displays the pages differently, Safari displays the page as it loads and BB browser waits then loads wich sucks big time but I just found my new browser OperaMini is better and it loads the pages like Safari hopefully RIM does an update to their browser but then again its as simple as downloading OperaMini to fix the problem
    08-29-08 07:51 AM
    Seriously consider what you plan on doing with the device
    iphone = entertainment
    blackberry = work

But it is important to remember that both phone do both but each phone has their advantage/disadvantage.

One major advantage to makes people get the Bold however (since most use it mainly for work purpose) is the physical keyboard. Virtual keybaord on the iphone is nice but isnt as reliable as a physical keybaord. So it really boils down to wether you want a multimedia device or a work device.

Although the BOLD is more stylish then previous blackberry and seems more multimedia oriented, its still a work phone.

If eye candy is what your looking for, definetly an iphone.

Remember one thing, which I find is really important is that Blackberry has expandable memory whereas iphone doest not. And if you understand this you know how iphone makes it money. They do it with ipods they will do it with the iphone. If you want to upgrade your iphone memory you will need to wait until they start selling and upgraded version and buy a new version. An example of this is current iphones are selling in 8Gb and 16Gb flavors wheras the blackberry sells as 1 flavor and you ugrade it to fit your need!

The blackberry blod currently supports up to 32Gb of MicroSDHC memory which you will be able to buy as soon as they become available without having to buy a new Blackberry. that is something important to consider when buying such device
    I absolutely agree with you 100%
    08-29-08 09:55 AM
    I own a Bold and I have to admit that the browsing experience is a little dissapointing to say the least, I hope that Rogers comes up with a fix soon to get rid of the browsing issues. A good friend of mine let me try her iPhone and I must admit that the browsing experience on the iPhone is much better than the Bold, It seems faster and it's much easier to navigate as opposed to the Bold using the trackball. Like I said, I hope Rogers puts out a fix really soon. Either than that I love my Bold!
    08-29-08 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD