It would be incredible if it could take advantage of the 7.2 mb/s speed as opposed to the 3.2 mb/s speed of traditional 3G.

Anyone have any ideas?
    06-23-09 12:46 PM
    I personally haven't heard any specifics. All I have read is that is will be 3g.

here
    support for the 3G HSDPA network
    06-23-09 03:22 PM
    It would be incredible if it could take advantage of the 7.2 mb/s speed as opposed to the 3.2 mb/s speed of traditional 3G.

Anyone have any ideas?
    UMTS (in release 99 form) was rolled out at 384kbits/sec

This is the "traditional" speed of 3G

HSDPA comes in the variants of 3.6, 7.2, 14.4 and 21 mbits peak throughput at present, with power to cell, volume of handsets on the cell and backhaul bandwidth from cell all contributing to the actual end download speed, you as a user will see on your handset.

The change from UMTS to HSDPA is a far more logistically troublesome transfer, than between speeds in the HSDPA schema, where the backhaul link to the basestation becomes the more troublesome area.

In addition, HSUPA provides higher upspeed from your handset to the cell. Networks range from having 1.4mbit/sec to 2mbit/sec currently with some poised to launch around the 5.8mbit/sec area, if they support HSUPA, otherwise the uplink will still negotiate at 64kbit/sec, which is "traditional" 3G uplink speeds.

The Bold as far as I am aware, is HSDPA capable at 3.6mbit/sec, I have no idea what the Onyx is, it is HSDPA capable, but maybe at a slightly higher rate of 7.2mbit. Whether it will be HSUPA compatable, I have no idea yet . . .

Hope that clears some stuff up for you
    06-23-09 09:01 PM
    Question is, when will Rogers actually have it available, period!
    06-24-09 12:34 PM
    yes they will
    06-27-09 09:00 AM
    yes they will
    Can you please provide proof?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.
    06-30-09 03:18 PM
    As ever, trade speed for power consumption. Want it fast? Expect worse battery life.

How on earth will you USE the difference in speed anyway? *IF* faster speeds are available, you then have to worry about the BB's ability to process data at that speed, either to render web pages, video, or act as a HSDPA modem...

As any 3G/HSDPA phone user knows (Bold, for example) running at 3G or higher speeds is not the best of all worlds. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying...
    06-30-09 03:25 PM
    That is true, having blazing fast speeds will drain your battery, and then, slow down applications that the phone is using

There is a tradeoff

However, the Bold and iphone are already engineered to take advantage of ATT's upcoming improved network speed, so Im sure the Onyx will as well.
    06-30-09 03:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Now being as rogers has announced the new 21 mbit/second wireless that it is rolling pi next month, what are the chances that the onyx (being released after the upgrade) will beable to take advantage of it?
    You can find out more info about the 21 mbit/second announcement in the rogers forum on cb posted by myself.
    Thanks for your replies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 09:19 PM
    i'm sure the onyx will be able to to handle the 21mbit/second network, lets just hope it has enough RAM and processing speed to be able to keep up with the network... thats where the bold falls short... it cant keep up with the networks but then again AT&T's 3G network is major FAIL. so only time will tell what the onyx will do... its pointless to ask all these questions and such when we can prove any of it until the device comes out
    08-02-09 07:57 AM
    Yeah 3.5G No doubt since they had that huge bandwith upgrade!
    08-02-09 08:11 AM
    First, you're not going to see real world speeds that high. Not happening. My AT&T 9000 works as good and fast as my Rogers 9000. For anyone to describe it as major fail, would simply not be accurate.
    08-02-09 09:11 AM
    First, you're not going to see real world speeds that high. Not happening. My AT&T 9000 works as good and fast as my Rogers 9000. For anyone to describe it as major fail, would simply not be accurate.
    I fully understand that the real world speeds will not be the full 21 mb/s. It never is, even with hardwired internet.

@ c_scheuer: The 9000's hardware is only capable of 3.6 mb/s, and if both Rogers and AT&T's networks are capable of the same speed and freq, they will respond the same based on the service area.
    08-02-09 09:26 AM
    I fully understand that the real world speeds will not be the full 21 mb/s. It never is, even with hardwired internet.

@ c_scheuer: The 9000's hardware is only capable of 3.6 mb/s, and if both Rogers and AT&T's networks are capable of the same speed and freq, they will respond the same based on the service area.
    Many people get hung up on a number. 3.6, 7.2, etc. If really doesn't mean much. In a lab environment, a test site with no other users on it, connected with a full unchannelized DS3 can achieve speeds of 7.2 or 21, etc.

Your actual speeds will vary depending so many factors that it's nearly impossible to list them all here but they include...

Distance to local cell tower
    How many other data users are on at that moment in time
    Software revisions of cell site equipment
    Software revisions of any of the 10 or 12 pieces of switch equipment
    Size of the data connection between cell site and switch (T1(s), DS3c, Ethernet, etc)
    RF parameters that dictate how much of the connection to use for Data traffic vs voice traffic.
    and the list goes on....

PG
    08-02-09 03:49 PM
    Many people get hung up on a number. 3.6, 7.2, etc. If really doesn't mean much. In a lab environment, a test site with no other users on it, connected with a full unchannelized DS3 can achieve speeds of 7.2 or 21, etc.

Your actual speeds will vary depending so many factors that it's nearly impossible to list them all here but they include...

Size of the data connection between cell site and switch (T1(s), DS3c, Ethernet, etc)
    RF parameters that dictate how much of the connection to use for Data traffic vs voice traffic.
    and the list goes on....

PG
    I also fully understand these concepts.
    The question is simply:
    Will the Onyx be physically capable of connecting at these speeds in the HSPA+ network of (advertised) 21 mb/s?
    08-03-09 12:43 AM
    Does anyone know if the Onyx/Merlin will support UMA/TalkSpot on the Rogers network?
    08-05-09 10:09 PM

and the list goes on....

PG
    Thanks for the info. As a new BB user, I wondered why my Bold seemed faster some times in comparison to other times. This explains why there is a difference.
    08-06-09 05:53 PM
    Wao this is a very good explanation of how 3G data works and how it is allocated for many users. Thank you.
    08-06-09 10:21 PM
    i think 3g
    08-07-09 02:54 AM
    My carrier is the worst... our 3G feels like GPRS.
    FML
    08-08-09 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD