If this is true that carriers do indeed tweak OS for their network then installing OS from different carrier is not recommended.
    I have no proof but I feel that they must do so. Carriers spend ages testing OSs for compatability with their hardware and software. It is the most important thing for them. An OS must not do any damage to the rest of their users/network/reporting. It would seem to be sensible that they would tweak timeouts, resposes and other stuff that I can only imagine. On the other hand all GSM networks must have a massive level of commonality to insure interoperability.

I have spent a fair part of my professional life in the telecoms sector and I know that engineers just cannot help tweaking stuff.
    04-30-10 06:24 PM
    If you are having battery life issues, it is one of two things. The TMO network in your area is not properly tuned so the mobile is constantly at high power levels or there are applications running in the background like Facebook, BB Maps or Twitter etc eating up battery as the constantly update. 593 works great on my 4 ATT phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 04-30-10 at 07:26 PM.
    04-30-10 07:23 PM
    You can use a PC application like BBSAK or CrackMem to WIPE you device and load the OS... of course that is if you have deleted the previously loaded Blackberry OS versions from your PC and loaded the T-Mobile version.

And of course that is only after you have backed up EVERYTHING... using DM > Backup/Restore... and your 3rd party apps.
    I'm an idi0t, I should have explained myself more thoroughly. :P

What I meant to ask was is there a way to do this without wiping my device...like upgrade from .593 to .593? Haha.

Thanks!
    04-30-10 07:54 PM
    DL tooooooo slow, 9hrs :-(
    I know...I'm downloading at a blazing fast 2kb per second. All the download servers must still be using that space-age technology known as "dial-up". Either that, or everyone and their mother (literally) is downloading that file at the exact same time.
    04-30-10 07:54 PM

What I meant to ask was is there a way to do this without wiping my device...like upgrade from .593 to .593? Haha.

Thanks!
    No as far as I know. The app loader should back up everything anyway when u install

04-30-10 08:17 PM

Thanks!
    It would seem possible. I finally found another source that made for an actual broadband speed download, and got the T-Mo update file. I had connected my phone to DM to make a backup file. Didn't find any updates...blah blah blah. I uninstalled the CSL OS I was running from my computer, and installed the T-Mo OS. When I reconnected the phone to DM, suddenly there are updates available! My phone is updating as I type, and I didn't need to wipe or downgrade or anything.
    04-30-10 09:20 PM
    Very interesting. Well, I don't know if this is the real thing...

I installed it over my previous .593, and no Mobile Backup was there in my options.

So I wiped my device including the OS, And installed this "T-Mobile" .593 again. Still no Mobile Backup in the options, and that is supposed to be included in the new update.
    05-01-10 12:36 AM
    I thought OS .593 was OS .593 and if there was any differences it would be OS .594

05-01-10 12:51 AM
    It's supposed to have all of this:
    Bold 9700 Software Upgrade Coming May 11th | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

The new software upgrade will include:

* Increased general OS stability (less battery pulls/lag etc.)

* Improvements to the messaging experience such as, a separate icon for BES e-mail, improvements to chat view SMS interface, and an improved BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) client.
    * General Visual Voicemail improvements
    * Resolve 3G drop call issue
    * Mobile Backup Support
    * Improvements to TrackPad performance

I do not see any "Mobile Backup Support" when I installed .593 from this so-called T-Mobile USA version. So I firmly believe that this .593 is fake (not a T-Mobile USA version). I think that .586 is the version that T-Mobile USA is releasing on May 11th.
    Last edited by Nuggstein; 05-01-10 at 01:13 AM.
    05-01-10 12:52 AM
    If I don't live in a 3G area for T-Mobile will this allow me to get 3G from other networks?

05-01-10 01:29 AM
    I do not see any "Mobile Backup Support" when I installed .593 from this so-called T-Mobile USA version. So I firmly believe that this .593 is fake (not a T-Mobile USA version). I think that .586 is the version that T-Mobile USA is releasing on May 11th.
    100% agree. No idea what the OS in this thread is, and I don't particularly care, but according to all the rumours .586 is heading to TMO US... not .593

05-01-10 02:13 AM
    If I don't live in a 3G area for T-Mobile will this allow me to get 3G from other networks?

That'd be a trick!

...no, us non-3G people have to suffer with Edge / GPRS until T-Mobile decides we deserve better.
    05-01-10 11:27 AM
    Just run the load and check performance. You might be very happy and no longer care what OS is official from your carrier... :-)

You can run any load you like at that point that works best for you.

05-01-10 11:40 AM
    Because the T-Mobile version fixes 3G issues. The .593 that I have currently does not. Plus it also will add Mobile Backup.
    What you guys are not understanding clearly is that, no matter who you download .593 from, it's the exact same OS build. The carrier you download it from does not matter, as the build number is the same. If you have a problem with .593 from CSL or O2 UK, and you think downloading it from T-Mobile will completely change your situation, then you have a lot to learn.

I would guess that a lot of people experiencing these "problems" are not deleting the vendor.xml file before installing the OS to their phone.
    05-01-10 12:20 PM
    What you guys are not understanding clearly is that, no matter who you download .593 from, it's the exact same OS build. The carrier you download it from does not matter, as the build number is the same. If you have a problem with .593 from CSL or O2 UK, and you think downloading it from T-Mobile will completely change your situation, then you have a lot to learn.

I would guess that a lot of people experiencing these "problems" are not deleting the vendor.xml file before installing the OS to their phone.
    The build numbers might be the same, but I believe you're wrong.

So you're telling me, if I go and install the leaked .586 right now, it's going to have Mobile Backup and fix my 3G issues?

Or, you're wrong, and the .586 that T-Mobile is releasing is still the same (with regards to build numbers)...but with some minor tweaks and modifications...

If you were right, then why would carriers release their own versions of the same builds? ... Instead, RIM would allow you to just download a generic OS whenever they released one...
    Last edited by Nuggstein; 05-01-10 at 12:44 PM.
    05-01-10 12:33 PM
    The load is a load is a load as far as RIM is concerned with the base. What language packs and extras a carrier might tack will vary but that will not change the base.... End of story otherwise it will NOT be 593 for example.

05-01-10 12:37 PM
    Yes that means if you run a load and have issues, you will still have those issues if it becomes official from your carrier and you install it. This assumes it is not some type of corruption issue related to your PC or the actual install etc.

05-01-10 12:43 PM
    The build numbers might be the same, but I believe you're wrong.

So you're telling me, if I go and install the leaked .586 right now, it's going to have Mobile Backup and fix my 3G issues?

Or, you're wrong, and the .586 that T-Mobile is releasing is still the same (with regards to build numbers)...but with some minor tweaks and modifications...

If you were right, then why would carriers release their own versions of the same builds? ... Instead, RIM would allow you to just download a generic OS whenever they released one...
    I bolded the most telling part of your quote.

It's quite clear to me that you do not understand enough about how RIM releases OS builds to carriers to keep up in a converstation. I suggest you no longer install anything other than official carrier releases, as you lack an understanding of this situation and are in over your head. Mmmkay?

For your second point; no, that is not what I'm saying at all. This goes back to my previous point in that you do not understand enough to carry on this conversation. Mobile backup is something that the carrier adds to the OS build, not something provided by RIM. Follow?

Your third point further proves that you do not understand what the build numbers represent. An OS build (for example, 5.0.0.593) is the same build no matter who it is released from. The only difference between, for example, a Rogers build and a T-Mobile build will be carrier applications that are added to be included as bundled software. Follow? This has nothing to do with the core functionality of the OS itself.

The last point, I really give up. If you don't understand by reading what I have above, then sadly you never will. However, enjoy your false sense of knowledge and continue to do things incorrectly, expecting carrier applications to be bundled as core OS applications.

Summary: you're wrong.
    05-01-10 01:03 PM
    Majarvis, you make me giggle...

You basically restated what I said in my post. I don't feel like getting into a ridiculous argument over an internet message board...but dude, what you just told me is exactly what I said. The build numbers are the same, the core functionality is the same, but the carrier can tweak/add/modify some things while keeping the build numbers the same.

Therefore, my question is still valid. If I install the leaked non-T-Mobile version of .586, will I have Mobile Backup and will my 3G issues be fixed?

And don't tell me I don't understand anything about this. I'm 21 years old and I have a plethora of knowledge in computers and technology. Don't try and make it seem like you're mister know-it-all by stating the obvious.

To finalize everything, it's better to install T-Mobile's .586, than the leaked version, because there are minor modifications and additions to the software, from T-Mobile itself.
    Last edited by Nuggstein; 05-01-10 at 01:19 PM.
    05-01-10 01:10 PM
    That's exactly what happened when I installed the leaked .586 earlier before .593 came out...
    05-01-10 01:13 PM
    And don't tell me I don't understand anything about this. I'm 21 years old and I have a plethora of knowledge in computers and technology. Don't try and make it seem like you're mister know-it-all by stating the obvious.
    My apologies. I was not aware that you have learned everything there is to learn. I am so, so very sorry.

And no, what you said before is not what I said. Please re-read more carefully. If you have 3G issues with .593, it will not matter who you install that from, as the radios will be controlled by the same algorithms no matter who you download .593 from.

Also, .593 is not leaked! It's an official build from both CSL and O2 UK (maybe even more).
    05-01-10 01:22 PM
    -_- you know what I meant.

And yes. I don't know what to do with my life anymore because I know everything about everything. Might as well drop outta school now.

To sum EVERYTHING up and to end this nonsense, this .593 build supposedly from T-Mobile, is in fact, not from T-Mobile.

Oh, and if in fact what you say is all true, why is the OP stating that this .593 is fixing 3G issues, while the CSL version of .593 has 3G issues, just something to think about. :P

Apologies for my nonsensical disagreements.
    Last edited by Nuggstein; 05-01-10 at 01:33 PM.
    05-01-10 01:28 PM
    There "might" be a fix in 593 for TMO but if it is there, it would be seen by those already running 593 on TMO.

05-01-10 02:12 PM
    Oh, and if in fact what you say is all true, why is the OP stating that this .593 is fixing 3G issues, while the CSL version of .593 has 3G issues, just something to think about. :P
    Simple: either the OP did a poor OS load and caused something to not install correctly (it happens), or it is mere perception (testing the connection issue in different areas under non-consistent conditions).

You still have a lot to learn, kid.
    05-01-10 02:45 PM
    This thread is funny
    05-01-10 02:57 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD