I just reactivated my 9930 and am trying to get my email set up. I didn't have any issues with GMail, but I can't get my work email to send and receive. I know I had a hard time last time, but I can't remember how I got it to work. We are a small firm and do not have BES. We use Microsoft Exchange and while my BB says it has successfully set up the email, I am not able to receive any new emails. I have not had any problems on IOS or Android other than having to have a password on the phone before it would work. I looked around the forums and did't see anything that helped me. If I missed something that is out there please let me know. Thanks.
    03-30-13 06:37 PM
    03-30-13 08:05 PM
    Ok now it seems that I can get email. It's just coming to the BB about 10 to 15 min later than my laptop or ipad. Not sure why but at least it's coming. Now to figure out why it's slow.
    03-30-13 08:55 PM
    If you are on BIS, the Blackberry servers only poll your email server for new mail at 20min intervals. If there is mail, it is pushed to your phone and the polling time is shortened so new messages come quickly. After new messages stop coming, the period between polling for new messages gets longer in steps until back to the longest polling time.
    03-31-13 06:03 AM
    If you are on BIS, the Blackberry servers only poll your email server for new mail at 20min intervals. If there is mail, it is pushed to your phone and the polling time is shortened so new messages come quickly. After new messages stop coming, the period between polling for new messages gets longer in steps until back to the longest polling time.
    Has it always worked the same way? I feel like I used to get my emails faster on my BB than on the PC. I am not on BIS though and I wasn't a year ago when I last used this BB. I'm just trying to make sure I have it set up the best way possible. Thanks.
    03-31-13 09:50 AM
    It has been that way since I started using BlackBerry in 2008. If you are not on BIS or BES, your email and other features of the phone would not work. If you were previously on BES, the emails are pushed instantly.

In regards to your PC, it may have been set to check emails every 15min and the BlackBerry just happened to check first. Once your BlackBerry got an email, it would go into the quick polling mode and if you had another email in a short time, it would be pushed to your phone, while the PC would always wait another 15 minutes before checking again.
    03-31-13 10:01 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I admit that I was confused. I guess that I am using BIS and not BES. The emails seem to be coming in fine. I had quite a few this morning and the more i received, the faster they arrived. Now if I can figure out how to access all of my folders all will be good. I can see all of my gmail folders but not all of the folders in my work email. I am sure that there is something I am missing. Any suggestions?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-31-13 12:31 PM
    Not the case.

RIM's mail servers will do a check on your mail server when you 1st setup the account.

BIS email is push email by default (if you server can deal with a persistent IMAP IDLE connection. If you can't it falls back to poll mode which is every 5 - 20 Mins and correct in respect to whats been written by 'Robsteve'

I can send you mail server logs showing BIS push in action for people who 'doubt' what I'm writing.

You would have 2 choices to be honest - either talk to you IT dept and try them to check what the mail server/firewall is doing. Failing that your stuck with message polling and there is nothing *you* (as an end user) can do about it.

Sorry.

IPads etc implement there email in a slightly different way (Hence it generally always works)
    cwbcpa likes this.
    04-02-13 12:06 PM
    Sorry - via BIS you only get your 'Inbox' 'Sent Items' and that's it...
    cwbcpa likes this.
    04-04-13 02:54 AM
    If you're using Microsoft Exchange through OWA there will typically be a slight delay in receiving email. Anywhere from 5-15 minutes as you mentioned is normal.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 12:46 PM