What is the reason and function of the 4 Blackberry dots in-between my 3G signal and my network signal? Sometimes its there sometimes not�regardless if its there or not I can use the BB service?
    06-04-10 01:31 AM
    pretty sure it means you have connection to Blackberry servers (for BBM and such)
    Last edited by chrispipe; 06-04-10 at 01:42 AM. Reason: because i spell like a 4 year old
    06-04-10 01:41 AM
    Thanks... but even when they are gone and im on GPRS and EDGE i still have BB service... when it switches to gprs or gsm i cant...
    06-04-10 01:48 AM
    bumping up ???
    06-04-10 03:23 AM
    the dots will show only next to "3G", not next to EDGE or GPRS/GSM. it is to indicate that you are connected to the RIM network and a 3G connection. if the display shows "3g, edge, gsm or gprs", you arent connected to RIM data (lowercase letters).

sometimes ive noticed on my 9700, the 3G icon will remain, but the dots symbol disappeared. however, i still have a blackberry data connection. i think its just a network issue, since a reboot or resending service books brings it back if it doesnt come back on its own.

in the end, its just an indicator that sometimes goes away or doesnt indicate properly. as long as the phone says 3G, EDGE, GPRS and GSM in uppercase letters, you still have blackberry data regardless if the dots symbol is there or not. dont use it to tell what kind of connection you have, go by the upper/lowercase lettering.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 06-04-10 at 03:48 AM.
    06-04-10 03:46 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I am pretty sure that the 3G icon includes the four dots. This would make sense since the EDGE icon fits the same space. This would mean that the four dots are just there to look pretty alongside the 3G characters.

Do not bump threads in CrackBerry.
    06-04-10 03:49 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I am pretty sure that the 3G icon includes the four dots. This would make sense since the EDGE icon fits the same space. This would mean that the four dots are just there to look pretty alongside the 3G characters.

Do not bump threads in CrackBerry.
    correct. as i stated, i think its mostly cosmetic to fill the space in next to "3G". but it is know to disappear, yet not have an effect on data connections.
    06-04-10 03:54 AM
    What is the reason and function of the 4 Blackberry dots in-between my 3G signal and my network signal? Sometimes its there sometimes not�regardless if its there or not I can use the BB service?

Its just RIM way of joking...
    Just some fancy dots... Which looks great

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 04:02 AM
    correct. as i stated, i think its mostly cosmetic to fill the space in next to "3G". but it is know to disappear, yet not have an effect on data connections.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure but it seemed reasonable given the amount of screen real-estate that the words EDGE and GPRS take up that the 3G icon was a little lost in all that space.

I only ever built one theme but it did teach me that much - hehe.
    06-04-10 04:13 AM
    Thanks, I wasn't sure but it seemed reasonable given the amount of screen real-estate that the words EDGE and GPRS take up that the 3G icon was a little lost in all that space.

I only ever built one theme but it did teach me that much - hehe.
    considering its not there when EDGE and GPRS show, i would only assume its a nice cosmetic touch next to the 3G symbol. but as i told the OP, the most important thing to look for is the upper or lowercase in order to tell what kind of data connection you have. and sometimes they dont indicate properly at all either.
    06-04-10 04:18 AM
    considering its not there when EDGE and GPRS show, i would only assume its a nice cosmetic touch next to the 3G symbol. but as i told the OP, the most important thing to look for is the upper or lowercase in order to tell what kind of data connection you have. and sometimes they dont indicate properly at all either.
    Our discussion has made me wonder if the four dots are the equivalent of uppercase EDGE/GPRS. lowercase edge/gprs could have its 3G equivalent of 3G with no four dots.

What do you think?
    06-04-10 04:41 AM
    Our discussion has made me wonder if the four dots are the equivalent of uppercase EDGE/GPRS. lowercase edge/gprs could have its 3G equivalent of 3G with no four dots.

What do you think?
    i do not believe so. you can have the 3G without the BB symbol and still have BB data connection. if you have a 3G signal without BB data, it will say 3g and no symbol. basically leading me to think its cosmetic.

the 3G (uppercase) symbol will go to "3g" (lowercase) in the event of no BB data and the BB symbol will disappear. the presence of the BB symbol is irrelevant, but will only show next to an uppercase "3G".

man this is getting confusing.....

3GBB or 3G = 3G connection with BB data
    3g = 3G connection with no BB data
    Last edited by dictoresno; 06-04-10 at 04:53 AM.
    06-04-10 04:50 AM
    shot guys !!!! Any one joining us here in South Africa for the world cup ?
    Go Bafana Bafana !
    spamming your own thread newbie?? LOL
    06-04-10 04:51 AM
    i do not believe so. you can have the 3G without the BB symbol and still have BB data connection. if you have a 3G signal without BB data, it will say 3g and no symbol. basically leading me to think its cosmetic.

the 3G (uppercase) symbol will go to "3g" (lowercase) in the event of no BB data and the BB symbol will disappear. the presence of the BB symbol is irrelevant, but will only show next to an uppercase "3G".

man this is getting confusing.....

3GBB or 3G = 3G connection with BB data
    3g = 3G connection with no BB data
    You are right, this is not clear.

3GBB, 3G, 3gBB, 3gbb, 3g. Very confusing indeed.

Since I have good BIS, I only ever see 3GBB.

I think I'll leave it at that.
    06-04-10 05:02 AM
    From the Quickstart Manual:

3GBB:
    You can use the phone, send and receive email messages, PIN messages,
    text messages, and multimedia messages, and use the browser simultaneously
    with high speed data connection.
    Translation: Full and complete data service.

The two times I did not have 3GBB (just 3G) I could not BBM, browse or email.
    but I could tether.
    06-04-10 05:08 AM

3GBB:

Thanks AG.

I was wondering what the 3G equivalent of edge/gprs was. The four dots may be the clue. Dunno. To hard for me.
    06-04-10 05:12 AM
    Thanks AG.

I was wondering what the 3G equivalent of edge/gprs was. The four dots may be the clue. Dunno. To hard for me.
    The 3G equivalent of edge/gprs (which I have never seen) would be 3g
    Voice services work. Data services will not.

You can use the phone and send and receive text messages
    06-04-10 05:19 AM

3GBB:

The two times I did not have 3GBB (just 3G) I could not BBM, browse or email.
    ive been able to BBM and use data on 3G (without the BB symbol). hmmmmmm.
    06-04-10 05:20 AM
    Thanks AG.

the equivalent is "3g" (lowercase G) and no BB symbol.
    06-04-10 05:21 AM
    JUst relax!
    06-04-10 05:46 AM
    the equivalent is "3g" (lowercase G) and no BB symbol.
    That sounds logical.
    06-04-10 05:50 AM
    That sounds logical.
    logical and 100% i know im right. when i reboot my BB, once it detects the network sometimes it shows 3g before it changes to 3GBB. just like my 8900 used to show edge then EDGE once it acquired a connection to RIMs network.

to test, in theory, turn off all data connections. the phone should switch to 3g from 3G.
    06-04-10 07:10 AM
    When I don't have 3GBB I can't use the app store or "connect to" certain apps (like Weatherbug). I can email and use the browser just fine though. A temporary solution seems to be connecting to a Wi-Fi connection (so that the icon changed from 3G to UMA), opening the app so that it connects, then turning off the app and then the Wi-Fi. Usually once the UMA icon switches back to 3G the BB symbol will pop up a few milliseconds later and then lasts until I turn off my phone again. It's annoying to have to do it every time I turn my phone back on, but it's better than not being able to connect at all.
    11-21-10 04:31 PM
    When I am 3G I have the 4 dots on the top line between the 3G and Signal Strength icons. When I am WiFi only, I have the 4 dots next to the WiFi icon on the second line. When I am both WiFi and 3G I most often show the 4 dots next to the WiFi icon. Still not sure what this mini-icon signifies.
    02-24-11 11:07 PM
    These missing dots are definately to do with the connection between the phone and 3G and /or Wi-Fi.

I have a Torch.

If Wi-fi is activated - I have 3G connectivity - with no dots.

If Wi-fi is NOT activated, I have 3G WITH dots.

So logic dictates that the dots are BlackBerry's "own" equivilent Wi-fi network? Yes?
    Last edited by KillerHeels_UK; 05-09-11 at 02:53 PM.
    05-09-11 02:45 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD