I for one am excited and like everyone else can't wait for the release of the 9900. What I do know is, I really really want this BB but also know its a one and done phone. I want to wait for the next generation (QNX) but I really don't know what I'm waiting for. So can someone please help me understand how a QNX device should operate....what exactly am I waiting for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 12:11 AM
    "Jim and Mike, customer enquiry in aisle nine!"

Sorry, apart from a select few RIM execs' I don't think anyone knows.
    07-28-11 12:16 AM
    QNX is only part of the answer. The rest is what does TAT bring to the OS. RIM acquired TAT recently and they are an interface design group, although that is to oversimplify, but TAT does have some really tremendous thoughts and ideas. Look up TAT and se what kinds of things they envision.

Put those visions on top of QNX and you have some blockbuster potential.

That said, I would not wait for QNX phones unless you just got a new BlackBerry. No doubt RIM will still deliver the BlackBerry classics of great security, BBM, autotext, great battery life, security, best real keyboard, etc.

07-28-11 07:36 AM
    Think of QNX as the foundation of the OS. That is basically what it is. What the OS looks like, what features it possesses, how it works, and what the end user experience is the house itself. And, that stuff is dependent on RIM's ability, or lack thereof, to build a good OS. In and of itself, QNX means nothing in terms of what we'll actually see and use. It allows RIM to do some neat stuff, but it is up to RIM to take full advantage of it.

I would honestly forget about 'QNX' and ask yourself whether you believe RIM can and will build a top notch OS. You'll also have to ask yourself whether or not developers will suddenly come on board and build for the new phones. There is nothing in RIM's past to make us think that developers' attitudes towards BBs will change.

Another way to think about QNX is this, if you are into sports...

QNX is like having top notch practice and training facilities. In no way shape or form does it guarantee that you'll field a good team. There are many, many other, more important factors that need to be taken care of to attain the ultimate goal.
    I think I'm starting to get it, the fog is lifting. Your point on RIM taking full advantage of this technology should raise some eyebrows. With the development of the playbook I hope RIM is on the right track and will come out swinging for the fence. They may not hit it out the park first time out...but can we at lease get to the warning track!!?

07-28-11 09:22 AM
    Id get the 9900. The reason it won't get qnx is because qnx is all touch. Who knows when they will offer a style similar to the bold. I personally, don't think qnx will be all that great. I think the 9930 will be my last bb.

07-28-11 09:31 AM
    The architecture of BBOS is like steel. It is difficult to work with but makes for a solid product.

The architecture of QNX is far more malleable. It is like a ninja, rock hard but flexible. It can assume new forms and positions easily, but still has tremendous strength.

JAGWIRE likes this.
    07-28-11 09:31 AM
    The architecture of BBOS is like steel. It is difficult to work with but makes for a solid product.

The architecture of QNX is far more malleable. It is like a ninja, rock hard but flexible. It can assume new forms and positions easily, but still has tremendous strength.

Great analogy in its simplicity...I got it. TANKS!!!

08-02-11 09:03 AM
    great way to describe it
    08-02-11 01:25 PM
    Id get the 9900. The reason it won't get qnx is because qnx is all touch. Who knows when they will offer a style similar to the bold. I personally, don't think qnx will be all that great. I think the 9930 will be my last bb.

I cannot and will not believe that BB is gonna give up the keyboard, not even on a QNX phone, it's one of their main selling points and I don't think they will ever leave that format.
    QNX will be great and there will be a 9900 type (keyboard and touch) phone that runs it, I am confident!
    But first, let's enjoy the 9900
    08-02-11 01:30 PM
    I cannot and will not believe that BB is gonna give up the keyboard, not even on a QNX phone, it's one of their main selling points and I don't think they will ever leave that format.
    QNX will be great and there will be a 9900 type (keyboard and touch) phone that runs it, I am confident!
    But first, let's enjoy the 9900
    I agree totally. Alsot the native SDK should be out in September/October Devcon then that's when we'll see some UI stuff... supposedly

But is it worth waiting for??? Who knows, os7 is kinda sweet. As I see it QNX phone isn't worth waiting for if you have an os5 phone but maybe if you have os 6. I put os5 on my gf 8330 (for BB Bridge) and it gets bogged down fast. So I'll buy her a new phone in a couple weeks a 9900. Me I'm waiting for the QNX next year.
    08-02-11 07:54 PM

That covers what potential QNX has, but I think he's asking more about what the look and feel of the OS will be like, in which case nobody knows.

The PlayBook may be a decent reference, but at the same time, it's a tablet, not a phone. Nobody knows what a QNX phone will offer other than up-to-par specs and a decent amount of potential (which I think will be too little too late).

Get a 9900; your contract will probably be up again by the time QNX is polished enough for use anyway.
    08-02-11 08:01 PM
    QNX is Linux, just far more speed, security and performance optimized. But besides that, why rush it? Have patience and just wait it out. I'm still rocking my 9700 until my term is up with telus and then... I'll have the 9780 on wind, or the 9900. Whichever comes out, i'll take it. Just my two cents.

08-02-11 09:50 PM
    No one knows for certain yet, but from a look and feel perspective it is logical to assume that a lot of what is in the playbook was done with the new phones in mind.

08-02-11 10:04 PM

It will be mine too if it ships on AT&T soon and at a reasonable price, otherwise my 9700 may be my last BB.
    08-02-11 10:20 PM

No. QNX isn't "all touch". The �QNX Neutrino Kernel� simply offers a core-system; a wide range of platforms are supported. The 1.2 GHz processors of the new OS7-devices can run QNX without a doubt.
    I�m sure if there will be a QNX-based OS that can do things OS7 can�t or there will be other advantages (we now simply don�t think about) the guys at RIM will sooner or later build a version running on these devices.
    No reason to wait until next year.
    08-03-11 12:55 AM
    QNX is Linux, just far more speed, security and performance optimized.
    No it is not Linux. QNX is a microkernel real time operating system designed from the ground up as it's own kernel and OS, Linux is just the kernel of an operating system and as originally designed by Linus Torvalds, is only the kernel, not an entire operating system. And Linux is not by design a real time OS.

QNX will be quite speedy and hopefully can be quite secure, we'll leave that to RIM to get the BES/BIS security levels high. In short, QNX is merely an operating system to run your smartphone. It will be faster than java and such, so we'll all have to patiently wait for it to be the OS of BB in the near future.
    08-03-11 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD