I bought a sim card for my Bold at Dollarama to see if it would be possible to make calls etc in 2022.

Upon rebooting it post-installation my password didn't work. Every few tries I got the message 'Enter BlackBerry to continue' and I continued thus, still to find my password was incorrect.

If nothing else works I'll have to let it wipe and then see. I'm on 8/10 now; leaving it till morning in case the count rolls back.

I don't know if it's user error or machine error. Is it possible that this is caused by inserting a sim card? That's the only variable I know of; I hadn't used a sim card in it before.

Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.
    01-14-22 03:18 AM
    Count won't roll back...

Never heard of a SIM Card causing a password issue, either way let it wipe and go from there.

If whoever your carrier is, isn't purposely blocking it... it should work as a phone. But you may need to tinker with it, check out The Bold Explorer
    01-14-22 08:02 AM
    I bought a sim card for my Bold at Dollarama to see if it would be possible to make calls etc in 2022.

Upon rebooting it post-installation my password didn't work. Every few tries I got the message 'Enter BlackBerry to continue' and I continued thus, still to find my password was incorrect.

If nothing else works I'll have to let it wipe and then see. I'm on 8/10 now; leaving it till morning in case the count rolls back.

I don't know if it's user error or machine error. Is it possible that this is caused by inserting a sim card? That's the only variable I know of; I hadn't used a sim card in it before.

This much I know for sure: the device requires the password upon a SIM state change. If you still have the original SIM that you used when the device was set up, you can insert it, restart the device, and you won't need the password.

If you're entering the correct password and it's failing, that may be an indication that a handshake with BlackBerry's servers is involved. I can't remember for sure (maybe @Lex24 or another user will recall), but I think on the SIM state change it was asking for your BBID password rather than a device password, and that might explain the failures. But I could be wrong. It's been a while since I wiped my device and set it up without a BBID.
    01-14-22 08:47 AM

Obvious check here but you are actually typing the word "blackberry " first aren't you? .
    Shuswap likes this.
    01-14-22 09:15 AM
    Yes, I entered 'Blackberry' when requested. I tried pulling the SIM card and had two more tries at the passcode. Both failed.

What's of interest is that my Bold reset, did the factory wipe or whatever and rebooted normally except that everything was wiped. I think there was some question about whether a BBOS device could reset without entering an endless loop of calling home to nonexistent servers.

I was quite relieved; it's such a cute little thing though I don't know what use I'll have for it. I'll load up Shuswrap's utilities and see what I can do.

It couldn't login to my WiFi, I think no change from before. What is very strange is that it had the correct date/time. Where did it obtain that information from I wonder.

But as with the three devices I autoloaded the time was correct for Reykjavik. Why Iceland?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-22 12:27 AM
    But as with the three devices I autoloaded the time was correct for Reykjavik. Why Iceland?
    GMT
    01-20-22 07:26 AM
    I wouldn't have expected Iceland and Greenwich to share the same time zone! Funny the description doesn't say 'London' though.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-22 08:58 AM