Good morning everyone,

Well I finally took the plunge and got a 9700.

I am, however, really struggling with the inbox. I just cannot get it organised. From what I can see, there are no filters, or icons, or organisational tools at all.

So I basically have a long list of incoming emails and outgoing emails and I just cannot tell the difference between them. I don't know what I have replied to, nor where the reply is...

I have tried the alt-o and alt-i commands but when I do that, the folders contain incoming and outgoing calls too, which makes it even more confusing! Also, the inbox still opens in its default state, so I have to manually click alt-o each time.

Admittedly I came from an E71 where everything was organised as in Outlook (using Good Mobile Messaging) but I am not looking to totally replicate that. It just feels that the BB inbox just goes to completely the other extreme.

I am hoping that I am completely missing a point here and that someone will enlighten me and show me what I should be doing!

Sorry for being such a newbie!

Many thanks

Nick
    Last edited by nickcoffer; 01-17-10 at 03:48 AM.
    01-17-10 03:44 AM
    You know, I'm in exactly the same boat, having moved from an E71 to the 9700 (although I still have the E71 and it's still in service for the time being).

Here's what I've found so far - but I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to show us how to do it more efficiently?

You can enable and disable various accounts from the combined inbox - go to options from the BlackBerry menu, then Main Message List Settings, then you can turn on and off different accounts here.

For showing your calls, go into the Phone app, then options, then in here, select Call Logging - you can show or hide calls in your inbox.

That's about as far as I have reached. I also use Facebook; the option to show or hide these messages is in the Facebook app itself.

Good luck!
    01-17-10 04:11 AM
    You can create custom search filters within the main messages folder, just go into your main messages folder and press [s] for search, then from there you can create and save filters for any type of message, incoming from any specific account, outgoing from any specific account (or all), by name, subject, keyword, by message type (email, sms, mms, pin, etc,), by status (flagged, etc), basically anything you want. Then once saved, while in your messages folder, just press alt+x or whatever letter you saved for your filter and you will see the results...

01-17-10 07:11 AM
    RIM has always sucked here!

How hard would it be for RIM to give us the ability to set up folders and allow us CHOICES as to where we save our email. I thought that MAYBE with OS v5 we would have this option but not!

Come on RIM!
    01-17-10 07:18 AM
    Oh that's a powerful little feature... I like. Now to experiment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 08:30 AM
    thanks for the great tip re filters. Seems astonishing though that a device which is touted as a messaging powerhouse requires such heavy handed workarounds.

Plus I still find it absolutely astonishing that there is no icon to demonstrate whether an email in the inbox has been replied to... I am going to find it really hard to keep up with what I have replied to and what I have not yet replied to...

It just seems really really lazy to me on the part of RIM...
    01-17-10 12:01 PM
    YES Mookish, i tried the solution and it works perfect.
    I can now easily filter all on these 'read:' messages and delete them.
    But I was really looking for an email filter in order to keep these messages from coming in to to my device, do you have a solution for that?
    06-15-10 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD