I just got a blackberry 9900
    I can't use my headphones with my BB. After reading different forums, I changed my headphones (to headphones without a mic), deleted BBM and downgraded and upgraded my OS and it started working. I woke up this morning only to find the problem was not resolved. I downgraded and upgraded again, but this time it doesn't work. Media only works through the speakerphone or through the headset, but not through the headphones?
    Are there any other suggestions to resolving this problem?
    05-04-13 05:18 AM
    Odd that you got it working once. Weird, but have you tried a 30 second batter pull (without turning the unit off first)?

Also, did you try with the default headphones for the device?
    05-04-13 11:59 AM
    Try pushing the headphone jack in and out rapidly 5 or 6 times. Works for many of these problems. It seems that the quality of the sockets used are inferior and by doing this it improves the connection.
    05-04-13 06:47 PM
    try a battery pull long one. there probably is no point in re flashing the os.

might be a loose connection inside.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-05-13 08:41 AM
    I didn't try the headphones that go with the phone because I didn't get the headphones, gift from the parents after my previous smartphone died (a phone that was used for about 3 months). The thing is it's a Rogers BB (Canada) that i had unlocked and that I'm now using in France(SFR, eventually Boygues B & You), would that make a difference? (as I have limited knowledge in technology)
    It could be a loose connection because it starts to work then cuts in and out...with the little icon of speakerphone headphones showing every time it cuts in and out, then goes back directly to speaker. So I know that when it is working, the BB is detecting the headphones when it's plugged in. But once it stops working, it stops working all together, and I'm left with the headset.
    i will try a long battery pull without turning off the phone, if that doesn't work, would it be a good idea to get the jack repaired or is there something I can do myself to repair it?
    05-06-13 03:14 AM
    I didn't try the headphones that go with the phone because I didn't get the headphones, gift from the parents after my previous smartphone died (a phone that was used for about 3 months). The thing is it's a Rogers BB (Canada) that i had unlocked and that I'm now using in France(SFR, eventually Boygues B & You), would that make a difference? (as I have limited knowledge in technology)
    It could be a loose connection because it starts to work then cuts in and out...with the little icon of speakerphone headphones showing every time it cuts in and out, then goes back directly to speaker. So I know that when it is working, the BB is detecting the headphones when it's plugged in. But once it stops working, it stops working all together, and I'm left with the headset.
    i will try a long battery pull without turning off the phone, if that doesn't work, would it be a good idea to get the jack repaired or is there something I can do myself to repair it?
    What carrier you are on makes no difference to how the hardware works.

it is either a software(OS) problem, just try installing the latest .923 OS.

or its completely a hardware fault, which means you dropped your phone somewhere, banged it somewhere or used it in a way its no meant to be. A lose connection internally maybe?

05-06-13 04:01 AM
    also have you tried using a different pair of headphones or earphones?

As long as the headphones arent audiophile level, which require external amps, then its your phone's fault.

05-06-13 04:04 AM
    Go to www.etradesupply.com and get a new headphone jack, and anything else you wanna replace. Make sure to buy the correct T-driver to open up the phone, and replace your headphone jack.

If you have the tool, you can open the phone and inspect the jack. If its clean than compress the gold pins on the jack to make sure they are making a good connection.

I had a similar problem and I found some Blackberry (no BS) jelly in mine and I was able to clean it and put the phone back together and its all good now.

Replacement jack should be super cheap.

You can find dis-assembly videos on YouTube.

Your 9900 is the easiest Blackberry to take apart that they ever made.

6 screws and keypad cable.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by olblueyez; 11-10-13 at 06:29 AM.
    05-10-13 02:38 AM