I'm a news crackaddict. I now have the following newsreaders installed:
    1. Viigo (CNN, BBC, google reader sync, NY Times)
    2. Wsj
    3. AP News
    4. Reuters
    5. Newsgator (Economist, FT)
    6. BNet
    7. Forbes

The last 6 are all made by freerange so I have branded freerange apps installed 6 times on my phone. Does anybody know any 1 freerange app that has all these rss news feeds pre-installed in 1 portal? I don't hv too many other apps installed and everything is optimized for best memory usage but I never get beyond 25mb memory even on reset and then it dwindles over time so I hv to reset the phone often. And I'm scared what I will do to myself if NYTimes comes up with a blackberry app. Can't live without news. Any solutions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 04:56 PM
    I am on os 266 so I know its not an inefficient os problem...
    05-31-09 05:11 PM
    Can't you just use one of the freerange based apps (forbes or reuters) and add the rest based on keyword searches?

AP News doesn't seem necessary with Reuters either...

If you don't modify your GR subscriptions often I'd just bite the bullet and manually add those feeds to freerange. ~250k vs 1+mb, Viigo is just too large to use as only a RSS reader.
    Last edited by papped; 05-31-09 at 05:24 PM.
    05-31-09 05:17 PM
    Yes you might be right about viigo. It is a memory hog. Also thought of using only one freerange app but the problem is that I want to see things ordered in tabs and any feeds added to these show up in just one tab. Also typing in all rss feed names is a big big pain. Hv also contacted freerange. Let's see if they hv a solution...

05-31-09 09:31 PM
    Also I am curious how we can figure out how much memory each app is using. I remember seeing it when I was on the phone with at&t tech support but I hv forgotten now. How do we do that? Thanks

05-31-09 09:37 PM
    i use viigo for RSS and i rarely use it for anything else.

id be really interested to know what people think is the best RSS reader and why?

i dont really notice memory issues with viigo but if theres a better option out there im more than happy to try.

thanks!
    05-31-09 09:49 PM
    Viigo is 1+mb, FreeRange is something like 250k. That's why a lot of people find it bloated if you only use the rss.

Also FreeRange pro version supports GR integration I believe, which means I'd be surprised if they made it work in the free version.

05-31-09 10:17 PM
    cheers papped.

sorry for the newb question but what is GR integration?

also, is either any better or worse in terms of functionality and/or how each displays content etc?
    05-31-09 10:45 PM
    They're both free, so I'd just try them out to see what you like better.

GR = google reader

05-31-09 11:18 PM
    cheers papped.

sorry for the newb question but what is GR integration?
    Google Reader

http://reader.google.com
    05-31-09 11:23 PM
    Yeah, google reader for me... No app to install = no memory used up at all :-)

05-31-09 11:28 PM
    Viigo is 1+mb, FreeRange is something like 250k. That's why a lot of people find it bloated if you only use the rss.

Also FreeRange pro version supports GR integration I believe, which means I'd be surprised if they made it work in the free version.

well viigo is only best rss feeder for blackberry and windows mobile

06-01-09 12:28 AM
    well viigo is only best rss feeder for blackberry and windows mobile

Hmmm... What about the well documented memory leaks???

06-01-09 12:33 AM
    Guys. I deleted viigo and moved all subscriptions to newsgator go and I gained 5mb???? From 25mb on reset I'm now at 30.5???? How the heck is that possible? Maybe 1.! Is just the installation file for viigo but it seems to bloat up v fast! I love the viigo interface but losing 5mb is pretty severe. Unfortunately if u have way too many subscriptions, google reader does not suffice either on a blackberry. I'm going to try to move everything to newsgator (its not pretty but it does the job). Will keep u guys informed. At first blush though viigo is definitely not a recommended solution if u need $e$ory for other apps. It seems to use up way too much memory. Just way too much to give it a chance.

06-01-09 12:33 AM
    Viigo is massive.

1+mb is only the install and does not account for all the cache it uses for the other crap. Not just RSS, but podcasts and other features also.
    06-01-09 12:46 AM
    I have Google Reader set to my homepage. Works great, no memory, when im browsing, I just hit 'H' to go back to the homepage and see my news.
    06-01-09 08:17 AM
    Ok. Deleted viigo, bnet, forbes. Just hv wsj, newgator go and ap news and thomson reuters (which will be merged into either wsj app or apnews app) installed. Memory is now almost at 40. Took a while to do it but the newsgator app is extremely powerful and could handle all the feeds I dumped into it. Its not pretty but it works beautifully. And I can sync newsgator account thru feed demon (pc at office) or netnewswire (mac at home). Much better now. For serious news junkies I would recommend newgator. Thanks for all the comments and help people. Viigo was definitely the biggest memory hog, period.

06-03-09 02:28 PM
    Yep, viigo was probably using more room than all of the other apps combined...
    06-03-09 02:41 PM
    Yep. Viigo doesn't get to live on my phone for exactly this reason. I use about 50/50 Google Reader vs. the native RSS support of the browser.

06-03-09 08:14 PM
    way too many newsreaders imo. i would stick with ap news or viigo. i am at 21.5 mb of app memory.
    06-03-09 11:03 PM
    21 is pretty low also...easy to dip down to 15 and then the clocks start showing up...

06-04-09 12:40 AM
    Is AP News considered an RSS reader? Does it offer anything that a news reader doesn't have. I'm considering removing it to free up memory.

BTW, downloaded NewsGator Go!. I like it a lot. I'm going to test it for a couple days and probably dump Viigo. I'm getting tired of the sluggishness. I also like how I could add the feeds on my laptop and sync with my BB.

Thanks for all the info. everyone.
    07-30-09 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD