i had 1.2gb free on my blackberry, this was built-in memory

i only took a few pictures with my phone and only download apps such as whats app, Facebook, and screenmuncher.

once i used 200mb of memory on my phone, it said that i did not have any memory left.
    i was suppose to have well over 800mb worth of memory.

i tried deleting pictures, but still i was not allowed to take as many as i had deleted.

today i deleted everything off my phone. it said i had 42mb left. i took about 10 pictures and it said i have 2.0mb left.
    i deleted those 10 pictures and it still says i still have 2.0mb left of free built in memory.

this is reallly annnoyyyingggg me!!! so much. i have deleted everything and have 2.0mb worth of memory left. I don't understand how it got from 1.2gb to 2.0mb

i haven't put a memory card into it and i don't want to because it may do the same thing.

i feel like throwing it at a wall, its just eaten all its memory

12-30-11 02:02 PM
    Use a memory card for your media, it won't do the same thing... and try a battery pull.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 02:07 PM
    Use an Sd card and do Battery pulls with the phone still on!

Then get rid of Apps you don't use.

Then Connect to Blackberry Desktop which you should have on your computer and back it all up.

Also Whats App was playing up on my phone so I removed it.

Good Luck!

and look for all updates
    12-30-11 02:41 PM
    Dude, feed your poor 9900 once and a while then.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 03:31 PM

i only took a few pictures with my phone and only download apps such as whats app, Facebook, and screenmuncher.

once i used 200mb of memory on my phone, it said that i did not have any memory left.

i tried deleting pictures, but still i was not allowed to take as many as i had deleted.

today i deleted everything off my phone. it said i had 42mb left. i took about 10 pictures and it said i have 2.0mb left.
    i deleted those 10 pictures and it still says i still have 2.0mb left of free built in memory.

this is reallly annnoyyyingggg me!!! so much. i have deleted everything and have 2.0mb worth of memory left. I don't understand how it got from 1.2gb to 2.0mb

i haven't put a memory card into it and i don't want to because it may do the same thing.

Hello my 1st ? Is have u clean ur memory on ur phone next time don't delete ur pics apps n vids hold delete ur browser history even the push content n clean ur call logs n messages n then hold down the alt key n type lglg ur event log will appear click menu n clear log then pull ur battery put it back n after 10 seconds and when power up look at ur memory u should b good to go
    12-30-11 06:30 PM
    Hello my 1st ? Is have u clean ur memory on ur phone next time don't delete ur pics apps n vids hold delete ur browser history even the push content n clean ur call logs n messages n then hold down the alt key n type lglg ur event log will appear click menu n clear log then pull ur battery put it back n after 10 seconds and when power up look at ur memory u should b good to go
    All that will do is release a small amount of Application Memory... not Device Memory.
    12-30-11 06:42 PM
    Are you talking about app storage or built in media storage? I'm confused because you said you used to have 1.2GB free but that's much less than the built in media storage and much more than the app storage. See attached screenshot of mine.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    12-30-11 08:53 PM
    Check the size of the .dat files in /device memory/appdata/rim/media

Appdata is a hidden folder, so you'll have to change the filanager prefrences for it to show up.

If you have no media card I'm guessing those files are in the 500+mb range. Its safe to delete the .dat files, they are indexed thumbnails. (They will recreate and repopulate with new thumbnails as you access pictures etc.)

And if you are subscribes to any podcasts check to see if they are set to auto download
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-30-11 at 09:14 PM.
    12-30-11 09:11 PM
    Are you talking about app storage or built in media storage? I'm confused because you said you used to have 1.2GB free but that's much less than the built in media storage and much more than the app storage. See attached screenshot of mine.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    its not app storage its built in media storage, i was suppose to have 6.2gb when i first got my phone but it kept going down, i never noticed until i saw 1.2gb left. Then i kept an eye on it and it kept going down every day. i really dont know whats going on, im not going to delete my apps i dont even have that many, my brother has the same phone and he does not have this problem. he has 5.4gb of built in media memory left
    12-31-11 11:09 AM
    It could be that you have some poorly written software on your device and your brother does not.
    12-31-11 11:20 AM
    One thing I do all the time (because I'm slightly obsessed with free memory) is on my PC, I use a program called WinDirStat to show me every directory and file size. You can use it to see any attached storage device. Use that or a similar utility to see what's on your internal storage. Or, as mentioned above, open Files application, click File Folders, then click menu then Show Hidden. Click on Device and see what's there that shouldn't be.
    12-31-11 11:25 AM
    its not app storage its built in media storage, i was suppose to have 6.2gb when i first got my phone but it kept going down, i never noticed until i saw 1.2gb left. Then i kept an eye on it and it kept going down every day. i really dont know whats going on, im not going to delete my apps i dont even have that many, my brother has the same phone and he does not have this problem. he has 5.4gb of built in media memory left
    Did you even read my post or check the size of your thumbnail .dat files?
    Do you have a media card installed? Does your brother? I'm guessing you don't and your brother does and your thumbnails are eating your memory.

But I can't help you if you don't check for yourself
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-31-11 at 08:19 PM.
    12-31-11 02:38 PM
    Did you even read my post or check the size of your thumbnail .dat files?
    Do you have a media card installed? Does your brother? I'm guessing you don't and your brother does and your thumbnails are eating your memory.

But I can't help you if you don't check for yourself

i dont have a media card, but i put my brother media card into my phone, he had 1.4gb free on it and after 20minutes it dropped down to 1.2gb while i had it in my phone. my phone is just eating them up and im so confused, i deleted all my apps now
    01-01-12 07:22 AM
    by the way, is it possible for blackberries to get a virus??
    01-01-12 07:28 AM
    i dont have a media card, but i put my brother media card into my phone, he had 1.4gb free on it and after 20minutes it dropped down to 1.2gb while i had it in my phone. my phone is just eating them up and im so confused, i deleted all my apps now
    Memory will go up and down while using the RIM OS. It always has and best to just ignore it as it is not a problem. As it needs more memory it will dump what it does not need. Momey and the amount free is NOT static on RIM devices, it changes all the time, ignor it unless you are having a problem.

Like the others said you NEED to get you a Micro-SD card, they are cheap and there is little excuse to not keep you data on one to leave the memory open on your device.

by the way, is it possible for blackberries to get a virus??
    You will find little to no problems with viruses on RIM devices. There are just none around to worry about.

You need to relax and enjoy your device. You are obcessing on things so badly you have ruined you enjoyment of owning the phone!

Save your worry for things like waking up in the morning and your phone is bricked!
    01-01-12 08:52 AM
    Just a quick note:
    Built in Media Storage of 6GB is used for media and not for apps
    The Application storage is 512MB is used for the OS, Apps, and PIM storage, messages.
    Media Card extends the Media Storage for Media

There are times where apps use the media memory for the content which are not part of the programs such as
    BB Podcast app - downloads media files from various shows
    Kindle - Books
    Slacker- caching the stations

I am so used to not using the BlackBerry for storage that I store all my media on a 32 GB (29.5 GB Useable). I have 6 GB free on the built in storage which further tells you that its not the Apps or anything due to the OS since these functions use the App memory of 512 MB.

When I take pictures, each image is 1.2 MB.
    I suggest you plug your phone into a PC and see what media file is taking up the most space.

I think it was a big mistake to delete all your apps. Good luck
    Last edited by maxknux; 01-01-12 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Wrong word
    01-01-12 11:31 AM
    The Application storage is 512MB is used for the OS, Apps, and PIM storage, messages.
    Application Memory is 768MB on the 9900/9930
    01-01-12 11:35 AM
    Oh opps,

768MB is the total memory but why does it say 512 MB in My World in App World?
    01-01-12 11:38 AM
    Oh opps,

768MB is the total memory but why does it say 512 MB in My World in App World?
    I believe 256MB of that memory is reserved for the GPU
    01-01-12 11:45 AM
    I have the same problem.

It affects both my device and media card memory. Replicates files etc. i cannot access any content that is saved on my device. Any word on how to fix this?
    02-23-12 02:05 AM
    I have the same problem. My 9900 says it should have 6.5gb of free space and i've even checked all the memory-eating applications, none of which are significant enough to almost eradicate my memory completely.
    The problem 1st started when my phone told me i could only take 10 more pictures and video camera had no more space. Now that i backed up my pictures and videos and deleted them from my phone the problem remains the same, in fact now to the point where i can't even snap a photo. I've tried rebooting it several times. Any suggestions???
    05-16-12 11:54 AM
    I have the same problem. My 9900 says it should have 6.5gb of free space and i've even checked all the memory-eating applications, none of which are significant enough to almost eradicate my memory completely.
    The problem 1st started when my phone told me i could only take 10 more pictures and video camera had no more space. Now that i backed up my pictures and videos and deleted them from my phone the problem remains the same, in fact now to the point where i can't even snap a photo. I've tried rebooting it several times. Any suggestions???
    If you have 6.5 gb of free memory it certainly means that your SD card has that amount of free space. It is possible that you camera is set to save pictures in the buit in memory. You need to change that so that media is always saved in the SD card.

The reson for which you get the no more memory messages is because you have been saving files in your built in memory.... Go to: options - device - storage and check your free memory (Built in Media storage and Media card) to confirm what I say.

Then go to your camera app... menu, options..-and change the store pictures option so that images are saved in your media card..

Now you need to delete or move images from your built in memory to the sd card... use the File app.. or any other app to copy or move the files..

This should do the trick....
    05-16-12 12:47 PM
    Check the size of the .dat files in /device memory/appdata/rim/media

Appdata is a hidden folder, so you'll have to change the filanager prefrences for it to show up.

If you have no media card I'm guessing those files are in the 500+mb range. Its safe to delete the .dat files, they are indexed thumbnails. (They will recreate and repopulate with new thumbnails as you access pictures etc.)

And if you are subscribes to any podcasts check to see if they are set to auto download
    it worked out for me just fine when i did it..thanks alot #sucha relief
    now the question is how can i stop it from creating the thumbnails if possible...THANKS AGAIN!
    09-27-12 06:31 PM

You should have 6.2 GB free memory with a clean phone. You have obviously loaded a ton of files into that space - probably a few video's, pictures etc...

Just use the built in "files" application to see what kind of junk you've loaded into that memory area. You'll be quite surprised to find out just how much crap you loaded in there and aren't thinking about.

And now, the obvious questions: why in God's name aren't you using a Micro SD card again?

and...

Have you bothered to see what it is that's filling up your memory? Despite whatever you may think, trust me, that memory doesn't eat itself. It is NOT used to run applications, only as storage and nothing more. Your BB does not have a memory eating virus...you just need to go and find out what you have stored in there, then you'll know what to do (get a memory card and stop pressing the video record button)...and, stop downloading e-mail attachments if you don't want your RAM to fill up
    09-27-12 08:01 PM
    I have the same problem... I have no memory card. I was advised by the blackberry staff to remove it because whenever I inserted it, my phone would not work. I have just a few pictures saved, absolutely no videos, music, podcasts or anything like that. According to the memory chart thingy, the pictures are using up just a few MB and so are the 2 apps that I have. However, under "other" memory something is using up almost 5 gigs. What should I do? I keep deleting and deleting, I've gone through all the tutorials and advice I've found online and nothing has fixed it yet. I really do feel like my memory is eating itself as well. And I always do an alt+aA+del every other day. I don't know what the problem could be. Maybe I should go back to using my phone in safe mode every day?
    04-22-13 11:15 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD