Help! I have stopped getting any kind of data connection on my blackberry bold.

Here's what happened:
    - I am running the Bold on T-Mobile and have been for the past 8 months with no problem whatsoever. I am not on BES.
    - Prior to the problem, I was running the Bold on OS .247 East Asia pack.
    - About 3 weeks ago, I upgraded to OS to .297 East Asia pack. Everything works fine after the upgrade.
    - Then about 5 days later I started to notice that once in a while my browser would fail to access website (it took forever requesting the page until it got timed out). At first it wasn't that apparent but it got more and more frequest.
    - I noticed that the problem only occured when I'm not on Wi-Fi. When I'm connected to Wi-Fi, I would received messages on BBM that was sent to me hours ago when I wasn't on Wi-Fi. From my friends' reports, I could send out messages on BBM while I was on T-Mobile network (no wi-fi) but I couldn't receive their replies until I am back at home with Wi-Fi connection.
    - All emails/BBM/browsing worked fine when I was on Wi-Fi.
    - Yesterday, I upgraded to OS .301, hoping that it wold fixed the problem.
    - Problem got worsed! My browser became a Hotspot browser only, I couldn't change it to Internet Explorer. I can't get receive any email even when I'm on Wi-Fi. I can't send PIN message (tried it by sending PIN message to myself).
    - I tried sending BBM message, it didn't seem the message was sent out because I got the usual check but without the letter D (usually indicated when message got sent out) and then my BBM contact face icon turn to red X, but surprisingly my friend said she got my message, she replied back but I didn't get the message.
    - I've done the battery pull restart with no luck. I have EDGE in all capital letters. Service book is missing some stuffs, notably the 2 service books for IPPP for BIBS (or something like that).
    - Under Managed Connections->Service Status, Blackberry Internet Service Connection:not connected, Mobile Network EDGE, Mobile Network Provider T-Mobile.
    - I did Diagnostic Test under Mobile Network Options, the result: Radio Access EDGE, Network T-Mobile, ICMP Ping Echo Yes, Blackberry Registration Yes, Connected to Blackberry Yes, Blackberry PIN-PIN No. It also shows the server name of my email, my email address, but it shows Connected to xxx@gmail.com: No.
    - I have dowgraded back to OS .247 but still no luck. I have restored my phone with the backup that I did prior to upgrading to OS .297 but it still didn't fix my problem. I'm back on OS .301 now.
    - I've called T-Mobile for 2 hours. They forwarded me from one department to another, even to RIM, spoke to two people on RIM, and then finally got forwarded back to T-Mobile. 2 hours wasted with no solution.
    - Tried inserting my SIM card to a different Blackberry Bold, and it worked fine! Put it back to my own Bold, and it's back to my problem

Sorry for the long post but I want to be as thorough as possible with the detail. This is very confusing to me. Has anyone experienced similar problem? If so, how did you fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    09-28-09 11:44 AM
    I've been having almost the exact same problem today. This morning I started getting an uncaught exception when starting up, so I ended up wiping the device (Curve 8900) and reloading the OS. I've been using a non T-mobile version for a while (4.6.1.250) so I reloaded that. I couldn't it to register to the network and show BIS connected. After several tries at that, I reloaded the official OS from T-mobile (4.6.1.231). Still no luck. I'd rather not call their support number because they've never been any use to me, so I'm about to go up to the store where I bought it and see what they can do.

ETA: Just got back from TMO store. They said there's a BIS outage right now. Haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere though. I just submitted a new thread to the outages forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f156/se...sa-bis-324602/
    Last edited by c.nugget; 09-28-09 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Add new info
    09-28-09 01:31 PM
    Could TMobile be having out outage right now?
    09-28-09 03:13 PM
    Update: I just tried inserting my SIM card to my friend's curve 8900 and my friend's SIM card to my Blackberry Bold. Both of us are T-Mobile customers. My SIM card works fine on her Curve 8900, all internet browsing are working like normal, BIS is connected. On the other hand, her SIM card doesn't work on my Bold. Same issue, no BIS connection, no internet browsing even after registering her SIM card on my blackberry.

So I know that there is no blackberry outage in my area (I'm in Seattle) and the problem is with my Blackberry. I thought once I register my friend's SIM card with my Bold, it would receive the missing IPPP for BIBS service books, but nope, still couldn't get that missing service book.

At least I know now that there is nothing wrong with my T-Mobile account since my SIM card works just fine with my friend's Curve 8900. But I am still pissed and confused Should I get a new Blackberry device? sigh...
    09-28-09 06:15 PM
    Did you try logging into your BIS account and resend the service books?
    09-28-09 06:27 PM
    Yes, I've tried logging into my account and sending the service book. It said service book has been successfully sent, but I didn't get anything on my Blackberry.
    09-28-09 06:39 PM
    I've been getting the same thing all day ES1978. When I went into the T-Mobile store earlier, they made a phone call and said that there was a BIS outage. That was around 3pm EDT. I called back at 7pm and they had no clue what I was talking about. But it didn't sound like she knew what BIS was, so who knows.
    Just call t-mobile and tell them your problem. Maybe if enough of us do that they'll get it together.
    09-28-09 07:32 PM
    My problem started yesterday at around 8PM PST after I updated the OS to .301. But I've been having the problem even before that since about 2 weeks ago but the problem worsen after yesterday update. Before the update, I can receive emails and bbm when I'm on Wi-Fi. After update, I can't receive anything, not even under Wi-Fi. The only thing works is the hotspot browser, but I can't change it to internet explorer browser default, can't receive bbm or emails even under wi-fi.

I called T-Mobile yesterday, spoke with several different people and all of them insisted there was no BIS outage.

I'm starting to give up on this already... sigh...
    09-28-09 08:04 PM
    Im experiencing some problems right now on my 8900. I've got a surprisingly low signal. Like 1 bar low
    09-28-09 08:55 PM
    Update: I managed to partial solve my problem. My friend has an ATT Blackberry service so I inserted his SIM card into my Blackberry Bold. As soon it was restarted, I got back the missing service book. When I replaced my own T-Mobile SIM card into the Bold, I am now able to use the browser and the BBM. But somehow I still can't setup my email! (I stupidly deleted my email account before).

Is T-Mobile somehow blocking non T-Mobile Blackberry to run on T-Mobile Blackberry network? How come I can't get service book pushed from T-Mobile to my Bold but I can get them from AT&T... I guess now I know that the fault is not with the phone, but it's with crappy T-Mo...
    10-03-09 04:00 AM
    I had the same problem.

Try deleting the service books on the device before resending them.
    10-13-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD