06-16-09 12:37 PM
47 12
tools
    I have been told by the att reps to turn it off for about 15 min each day (5:45 am to 6am for me) so that att can send updates. Sounding like I don't need to do this??
    No need at all
    06-16-09 12:07 AM
    I have a question along these lines (one that I asked before but never got an answer). When you hold down the red button, the device eventually says that it is turning off, then it goes blank. However, when you turn it on, it only takes a few seconds to come back up. So, the question is, if it really is "off", why doesn't it take as long to come back up as it does when you reboot?

Thanks ahead!
    C

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:08 AM
    I've never turned any of my phones off over the years. The ringers on the other hand is a different story
    06-16-09 12:26 AM
    Firstly just to answer the most recent question, holding down the End key just puts it into an ultra low standbye state. There is no real way to power the phone down other than taking out the battery.

But more importantly, how do all you guys leave your phone on for so long without a bettery pull? For me, and I barely have any apps installed, I feel like my phone gets sluggish every few days and I need to do a batt pull to clear the memory. Especially when using Google maps which doesn't clear from memory the maps it stored while it was on.

How do you guys do it? What's your memory usage like? The phone is not slow? Maybe you're just used to it. I wonder

06-16-09 12:42 AM
    What OS are you running kingbear? My phone has been on now for over 650 hours, about one month. I really do not experience and memory issues.

Chris
    06-16-09 01:20 AM
    No need for a battery pull just a soft reset is kosher for me...

06-16-09 03:07 AM
    never turn it off charge and then use..
    06-16-09 07:19 AM
    What OS are you running kingbear? My phone has been on now for over 650 hours, about one month. I really do not experience and memory issues.

Chris
    9000/4.6.0.266

It's not just me though. Everyone I know does a batt pull every now and then to rejuvenate their BB. I'm very surprised at the amount of posts here saying that they never turn their device off.

06-16-09 09:10 AM
    9000/4.6.0.266

It's not just me though. Everyone I know does a batt pull every now and then to rejuvenate their BB. I'm very surprised at the amount of posts here saying that they never turn their device off.

Seems like a lot of people do this unnecessarily, though, mostly because they obsess over available memory. This is not part of a required maintenance. If you have to do regular battery pulls, something else is not correct.
    06-16-09 09:13 AM
    I dont think I ever turned off my Bold :d
    06-16-09 09:23 AM
    yes yes yes yes YES!
    06-16-09 09:32 AM
    Haven't turned mine off in 8months.

06-16-09 09:44 AM
    I have owned a lot of phones, I never turned anyone of them off. Even those old ones with the memory battery's. Never replaced a battery either. I always had a job that required I be available 24/7. I had no choice and no problems.

06-16-09 09:46 AM
    No need to turn it off.
    06-16-09 09:48 AM
    I Have had my storm for about 3 months and do a weekly battery pull just as a routine... never had any problems! Mostly its just charge and go for me!
    06-16-09 09:58 AM
    Rarely, just for the occasional battery pull basically.
    06-16-09 10:00 AM
    Mine is on 24/7 without issue.

06-16-09 10:01 AM
    I have been told by the att reps to turn it off for about 15 min each day (5:45 am to 6am for me) so that att can send updates. Sounding like I don't need to do this??
    That's funny. I wonder if the reps are refering to those annoying app icons that they push to our device.

06-16-09 10:09 AM
    That's funny. I wonder if the reps are refering to those annoying app icons that they push to our device.

Yep, more FUD.
    06-16-09 10:18 AM
    I've got 2 Curves this week - one is mine, the other is an "24x7 on-call" work BB. I am so tired. Texts, emails, phone calls, all hours of the day and night.

Oh, you mean healthy for the BB? Sorry, my bad. I turn mine off for a minute at 3 am, using a scheduled QuickPull. The on-call phone never gets turned off unless I'm doing a memory card swap. I don't see much difference.

I run all kinds of apps, DocsToGo, GoogleMaps (with Latitude), Weatherberry, Bolt, Viigo, Vlingo, Slacker, Tetris. I've never gotten low on memory (that I recall). But - I close the apps - [menu] [close] - after I'm done. And I don't save things to the BB, I save things to SD cards.

I don't think there's anything wrong with running the BB non-stop, if you can keep up with the Blackberry. Good luck.
    06-16-09 10:18 AM
    I've never had a problem with it on all the time. Not yet anyway.
    06-16-09 12:28 PM
    i have mine set to cut off for an hour whilst im asleep, to update itself and rest. other than that its always on.
    06-16-09 12:37 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD