hi there

when i'm trying to sync my outlook (2007) contacts with my blackberry via bb desktop manager (latest - 7.1.0.41) it gives me the following error: "CRADSDatabase ERROR (5211): There is an error converting Unicode string to or from code page string"

running 6.0.0.756 (Bundle 3170)

also, i have a battery drain issue.. the battery lasts for less then a day and the charging is really slow.. it takes something like 6 hours to full charge.. i'm using unofficial charger (iphone 4) 1.0A.. i don't have the original charger.. do you think it's a hardware problem?

can someone please help me?

thanks
    02-14-14 12:44 PM
    someone please?
    02-15-14 10:42 AM
    Outlook issue: Which side gives the error message? Outlook or Blackberry Desktop Manager or the phone? Update desktop manager and make sure Outlook is fully updated (at least make sure service pack three is in place)

Have you ever managed to sync with Outlook?
    Does anything sync? Go in and fiddle with the settings to make the sync only happen in one direction, test notes, contacts, diary separately. Maybe just corrupted data.

With your charging - I have no idea how you get an iPhone charger to work with the Blackberry as totally different connectors. Also note, the official wall charger I have here is 5V 700mA and is relatively quick to charge up. Does it charge any better when connected to a PC? (Note: charging via USB is always slower, but you'll get an idea)

I am guessing that the iPhone charger is making the Blackberry swap into "USB Charging mode" and just trickle slowly. A genuine blackberry charger is not that much cash - and well worth getting one. (And get a real one, not a clone)

What other apps are installed? Anything like Twatter\Facebook\Whatsapp\etc constantly chattering online? Turn off Bluetooth if you are not using it. Reduce screen brightness. Normally my battery will last two or three days with normal use, but can be stretched to six with minimal use. And that is still the original three year old battery. (I use .666 OS)
    02-16-14 08:29 AM
    Outlook issue: Which side gives the error message? Outlook or Blackberry Desktop Manager or the phone? Update desktop manager and make sure Outlook is fully updated (at least make sure service pack three is in place)
    Blackberry Desktop Manager gives me the error.. i have the latest version.. outlook (2007) is updated with the latest updates

Have you ever managed to sync with Outlook?
    Does anything sync? Go in and fiddle with the settings to make the sync only happen in one direction, test notes, contacts, diary separately. Maybe just corrupted data.
    syncing outlook with other devices works well

With your charging - I have no idea how you get an iPhone charger to work with the Blackberry as totally different connectors. Also note, the official wall charger I have here is 5V 700mA and is relatively quick to charge up. Does it charge any better when connected to a PC? (Note: charging via USB is always slower, but you'll get an idea)
    i just use the iphone charger with blackberry usb cable connected to it.. i will try to charge via pc

I am guessing that the iPhone charger is making the Blackberry swap into "USB Charging mode" and just trickle slowly. A genuine blackberry charger is not that much cash - and well worth getting one. (And get a real one, not a clone)
    when i'll manage to get 37$ (the charger doesn't cost too much on ebay but the shipping costs like the charger itself) i will defiantly buy a genuine wall charger.. it costs more then i paid for the phone
    do you think it might be a hardware or battery issue?

What other apps are installed? Anything like Twatter\Facebook\Whatsapp\etc constantly chattering online? Turn off Bluetooth if you are not using it. Reduce screen brightness. Normally my battery will last two or three days with normal use, but can be stretched to six with minimal use. And that is still the original three year old battery. (I use .666 OS)
    i have facebook and waze installed on my blackberry.. already reduced the brightness to the lowest (10)..
    answers marked in red.. thanks for the time you spent on me =]
    02-16-14 11:28 AM
    With Outlook - a simple test would be to create a new Profile and try synching with that as a test.

Have you tried selective syncing with Outlook? Even if other devices work, there may just be something about one of the entries in the phone it doesn't like. If have seen that happen before, but with a bit of careful work with manual syncs that can be corrected.

I think the iPhone charger is just working like USB from a PC charging. It is a lot slower than using a standard charger. Not sure what else to suggest there if you have postage issues. This may be hardware, but can't be sure.

I don't know what waze is - but I'd be checking what is trying to connect. Maybe reduce how often Facebook is trying to sync (I don't use Social Media apps so can't really comment. But they are common so shouldn't cause this issue)

It is also worth noting that if you spend a lot of time in a bad reception area you'll also drain the battery quicker as it will boost the signal power.
    02-16-14 11:58 AM
    your battery lasts for 2-3 days with turning off 3g when you don't need it or even with 3g always on? waze is a gps navigation application.. i have already transferred my contacts.. export them to .vcf files and installed one by one on my blackberry.. i'll try to export my contacts on my blackberry to outlook using bb desktop manager just to check if it works..

what is the average charging time for blackberry bold 9780 from 0-100%?
    02-16-14 12:09 PM
    Assuming Waze is not always running then it shouldn't hassle the battery when not in use. Just make sure you exit the app when you have finished using it.

My 3G is always on. Usually in a fairly good reception across the city, and at home it swaps to UMA and my WiFi. I don't even bother turning WiFi off when I leave the house, just let it auto-switch. Bluetooth is almost never on.

If I want to hammer my battery, then I'll play FLAC audio via the media play for a 4-5 hours and take a few photos and videos. It will noticeably chomp through the battery then, but still usually get to the end of the day if I am careful.

I can't say what the average charging time is. I usually just sling it on a bedside charger overnight. I know when I have forgotten and just need to top up 50% or so it doesn't take too long on a wall charger, but is noticeably much slower on USB charge. Maybe worth checking a local second hand phone shop to see if they have a spare Blackberry charger from a dead phone they can sell you.
    02-16-14 12:32 PM
    do you switch your phone to sleep mode (aka shut down) or using the lock button on top? thanks for helping me (;
    02-16-14 12:44 PM
    When I am out and about in town, the phone is in a holster to goes to sleep via the magnet trick. When around the house, it is usually just sitting on the side as a bare phone and falling asleep when bored. I never use the Lock button on the top. Never powered off either.

Currently this phone has been on UMA all day, a couple of dozen each of SMS and BBM messages and no calls (it is a Sunday) and used 10% battery over ten hours. I know if I slung it on the wall charger now it would take minutes to top back up again.
    02-16-14 01:11 PM
    i hope that the problem i have is only due the iphone charger..
    02-16-14 01:32 PM
    See if you can find a mate with an Android phone. Every other phone except the iPhone uses a standard Mini-USB connector. Look out for one rated 5V 700mA and it should do a better job.

A standard USB port on a PC only supplies 500mA max. Which is what I am guessing that iPhone charger is doing when used with the Blackberry.
    02-16-14 01:54 PM
    my primary phone charger has usb but it's 1.0A
    02-16-14 02:20 PM
    It may say 1A on the charger, but what does it supply down the cable? I have no idea if it treats an iPhone the same as any other USB device.
    02-17-14 03:26 AM
    you know, it's strange but do you think battery can drain faster when charged with unofficial blackberry charger?

btw, tried to sync contacts from blackberry to outlook with bb manager and it gives me the same error..
    02-17-14 03:07 PM
    Re: Battery drain.

I was just reading up on the Google owned Waze application. I see it is live traffic and mapping application. And it is clear this can cause a lot of battery use. Fairly obvious by what it is designed to be doing.

https://www.waze.com/wiki/Battery_Usage I only skim read it, but it is clear it is a battery muncher.

Are you sure you are fully exiting the app after use? Press and HOLD the Blackberry button on your Bold to see the running apps. If it shows as still running, then please select it and exit it fully.

Personally I'd uninstall Waze for a few days and see how the battery acts without it. Or at least make sure it is 100% not running.
    02-20-14 05:52 AM
    i'm sure that i fully exiting the app after use.. and this battery drain issue started before i have installed waze..
    02-20-14 06:30 AM
    Do you check your running apps with that long press of the Blackberry button?
    02-20-14 07:48 AM
    Yes I did that
    02-20-14 04:21 PM
    Screenshot of the error my win 7 was returning, attached below.

I uninstalled the latest BlackBerry desktop manager available on the BlackBerry site(7.1) did a lot of hunting to get the previous version of the BlackBerry desktop manager. Took me quiet some time to find a site offering me a download of the manager(6.x) version. Don't remember the site now.
    Downloaded, installed the 6.1 version, before which I uninstalled the 7.1 and then booted the win7 OS. On a fresh boot of both my win 7 pc and BlackBerry 9900, connected the two with the USB cable and synced the win7 contacts app with the BlackBerry phone app. Took some tries, but was successful in the end.
    Finally was able to sync the pim with my win7 contacts. BlackBerry 9900 used here.

I have uploaded the BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6.1.0.36 on the cloud. You can download it with the link below.
    https://app.box.com/s/9yg0ikj3ktrovc1i8wz9

Having problem with contacts sync and battery drain.-error-5211.jpg

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:49 AM
    thank you very much! defiantly will try it out! will update here
    02-27-14 12:11 PM