Stupid Question I know..First I always here about people wanting a new phone but only Verizon carries have the phone and the person has AT&T or another carrier. So of course you need to unlock it for the phone to work for your network...
    So..I will be buying a new blackberry bold tomorrow from craiglists for a reasonable price. The bold is new and NOT unlocked. My question basically is, if I just enter my SIM card will the phone automatically unlocked itself due to me being an AT&T customer? Or would I need to buy one of those unlock packages from an internet site?

So please if someone could answer this for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in Advance. Alex.
    12-15-08 09:58 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

If you are using an AT&T branded device with an AT&T sim, no unlocking is needed and it will not be automatic.

Like you stated, it is only for using on other carriers (GSM, your example stated Verizon which is incorrect as they are CDMA)

If you unlocked, only other carrier within the U.S. (of the major ones) is T-mobile.
    12-15-08 10:00 PM

If you are using an AT&T branded device with an AT&T sim, no unlocking is needed and it will not be automatic.
    I notice you said it will NOT be automatic. What is the process for this then? And by the way thank you for the welcome and the fast reply. Thanks again in advance. Alex.
    12-15-08 10:03 PM
    It will register on the network right away.
    12-15-08 10:36 PM
    Awesome, Thats all I needed to know. Thank you both. Alex.
    12-15-08 10:42 PM
    When you purchase a so called locked or un-locked ATT branded phone then all you do is to put in the SIM chip and it will work on your ATT account.

If you want to use the same phone in the US on the T-Mobile network with a T-Mobile SIM then you need to have an unlocked phone. If you have an ATT account and the ATT branded phone is "locked" then you can ask ATT for the unlock code .. and you can walk away from ATT.

How can you tell you have an ATT branded phone? Easy, when the phone starts up it will have the ATT logo.

As far as assuring that the phone you purchase has not been messed around with ... it there are software issue then this forum can help you out.

The Verizon stuff does not make since they do not have the BOLD on their network in the US --- ATT and T-Mobile do have it.
    Verizon has other Blackberry models then those used on ATT and T-M
    12-15-08 10:56 PM
    If you are using a different provider then the logo on the phone it will need to be unlocked. If it is the same provider as the logo on the phone then it will work automatically. If you need to unlock follow these directions;

First call the company with the logo on the phone and tell them you are traveling out of the country and need the SIM unlock code.

Then;

1)Turn off phone radio
    2)Go to settings
    3)Advanced Options
    4)Sims Card
    5)Then enter mepdmep2
    6)Then enter (the number you got from the carrier (16 digit number))
    7)Reboot Phone

Congrats now unlocked!!
    12-16-08 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD