Fake Blackberry devices. Yes, they were a thing.

I had no idea they existed until MrEvets asked me if I want them. All of them are Dual-SIM, most of them have Nokia style charging port and battery compartment. There are 5 models in total inspired by 4 Blackberry phones, one of which is a 9000 Bold so I put it in this section. In the photos, the fake one will always be on the left, but it will be pretty obvious anyway. I made a video with all of them turned on and compared to the original model it was inspired by. Watch it here if interested:

Here is each phone compared to the original.
    First is the 8900 copy.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1439253-1-.jpg
    The resemblance is pretty good. Most of these models have a frontal camera instead of the LED notification light. The keyboard is the worst of the 5 fakes, it is very stiff and too clicky. The extendable TV Antennas are just ridiculous! Can't find any Analogue TV programs in the UK anymore but the FM radio works well. The software is a BBOS rip-off but just at the surface. The device boots up in 2 seconds so there is zero depth to the OS. Dual-Sim at the back, No manufacturer information in any of these.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1439355-1-.jpg
    Wrong logo at the back, cradle charging pins are just for show. All these device are pretty heavy and well built on the surface so it may fool you if you never had a real BlackBerry.

Next is the 9630 copy.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1439545.jpg
    Missing logo at the front, smaller screen, 1 and 2 printed on the Call and Home keys - probably for making calls from SIM 1 or 2.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1440046.jpg
    Back cover mechanism just for show, the cover needs to be slid down to access the battery. Wrong logo at the back.
    Next I have two copies of the Bold 9700. Here is the first fake next to an original:
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1440359.jpg
    Wrong logo, smaller screen, trackpad too big, 1 and 2 printed again for Dual-SIM use.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1440452.jpg
    Bad quality materials at the back, that peeled right off.
    The second 9700 one:
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1440573.jpg
    This one is a bit closer to the original, but still has obvious signs - the frontal camera, that bad logo on the Menu key,smaller screen. This one has a Nokia charging port as well but what looks like an old Samsung data port.
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1441064.jpg
    Same bad logo at the back. This one has the antenna at the bottom, making it even worse as it will be pointing down if you want to watch TV on it, or to the side.

The last one is a copy of the 9000 Bold. This one is a bit different. It lacks the frontal camera of the others (or the original LED, for that matter) and instead of the antenna it has a stylus. Oh, yes, a stylus on a Blackberry! It is also much smaller than the original 9000. It has no side keys whatsoever. No volume, no camera, no convenience key. Just a larger surface with Colorful World printed on it. Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1441266.jpg
    This one cracked me up because at startup it has the Nokia startup tune! Also has the Nokia Tune as a ringtone. Great stuff!
    Have a look at these fake BlackBerry phones. A comparison with the originals-img_20190406_1441383.jpg

I had great fun with these devices! If you want to see what the OS on them looks like, have a look at the video I mentioned earlier. It is very long but I messed around with each one of them.
    Last edited by gsm_dealer08; 04-06-19 at 01:04 PM.
    brookie229 likes this.
    04-06-19 11:12 AM
    These are really awesome to see!!!! Thanks for sharing...
    04-06-19 11:25 AM
    miss the BB glory days - currently fake iphone cost Apple almost 1 million - 2 engineering chinese students in oregon used fake iphone to exchange for the real one at apple store, utilize apple's replace instead of repair policy. As for BB, fake battery were common in HongKong and other city.
    04-06-19 07:04 PM
    Thanks for that. Most interesting.
    04-06-19 07:08 PM
    I enjoyed the write up!

I remember a few years ago that there was a Q10 clone (not a knockoff, but inspired by the Q10) called the Mpie MP 108. It had some kind of TV built in and looked fairly interesting.

I definitely wanted one.

That was about the same time that the first Windermere pics were leaking. Fun times!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-19 10:00 PM
    I enjoyed the write up!

I remember a few years ago that there was a Q10 clone (not a knockoff, but inspired by the Q10) called the Mpie MP 108. It had some kind of TV built in and looked fairly interesting.

I definitely wanted one.

That was about the same time that the first Windermere pics were leaking. Fun times!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh, waw! No idea they cloned BB10 models too. Looks like the MP 108 you mentioned was available on Amazon at some point. The latest price was around £40. A BB10 with android on it, would have solved some people's problems back then (if you wanted an Android that badly to go for a fake BB).
    04-07-19 01:11 AM
    I saw some fake BB in DR Congo while working there in 2010. They had the antenna to "watch" tv... I remember a funny conversation with the idiot selling them. He was insisting that they were original and my 9700 was instead fake. He asked for a fake BB 200 USD....
    04-07-19 04:44 AM
    I saw some fake BB in DR Congo while working there in 2010. They had the antenna to "watch" tv... I remember a funny conversation with the idiot selling them. He was insisting that they were original and my 9700 was instead fake. He asked for a fake BB 200 USD....
    Yeah, I think the idea was to prey on people unfamiliar with the original BlackBerry devices. It's sad that some people fell for it and some of these are really bad on their on, never mind compared to a real Blackberry.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-07-19 06:00 AM
    What are all of these running? Seems like they would spark a lot of interest if the came out with a fake passport.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-07-19 07:23 AM
    What are all of these running? Seems like they would spark a lot of interest if the came out with a fake passport.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Seems like a java-based software with a BlackBerry theme slapped on it. BBOS was Java-based as well but these are very,very basic and buggy.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-07-19 07:54 AM