once everyone gets used to using the settings, i think most people will be happy with it.

btw python...having had no less than 6 9650's between me and my wife and having tried most of the leaks and a ton of hybrids, the phone still has issues of hanging up (hour glass). the 9930 has only done that when downloading apps for me. speed is important.

at least for my 9650's, i could take 720 video from the 9930 and freeze a frame for pic a lot quicker than using the 9650 with AF.

everything is relative. but the lag on the 9650 is a far worse deal breaker to me than this camera thing is.

Everyone that complained about pics of text close up... have you seen this?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6581958

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6582131

Those look fine to me...
    08-19-11 10:51 AM
    Ok, under connections it has the standard stuff you would always see on a berry PLUS 'Near Field Communication'...
    ...I couldn't find anything for "hot spot" on the phone and used the search feature, which produced nothing.
    08-19-11 12:50 PM
    I've completed my camera test on the 9930 and have a partial retraction to make to some of my previous statements about EDOF....
    ...For close up shots of body and mechanical damage on automobiles the 9930 camera performs better than I thought.
    ...And I have confirmation from the authority on the other end of my email that in some cases the shots I took.
    ...Looked better than some of the shots taken from my 9650.

As far as capturing "text" such as a standard document the camera is NOT FUNCTIONAL in most cases.

I played around with every scene setting the device had and can admit that I actually took some stunning pictures downtown Seattle that I would have thought were beyond the ability of the camera.

In looking at the many pictures I took of the same thing ( with the 9930 & 9650 ) it's evident that AF is clearly a better system and simply takes better and more realistic pictures.

That said I was still able to get a few excellent shots out of the 9930 and as far as taking shots of glass cracks or chips those things are well within the ability of the EDoF system in the 9930.

Trying to capture a bill of lading with this camera is not possible - the EDoF system is complete garbage when it comes to this.

So there it is - my finding was that the camera did WAY better on some things than I thought it would and absolutely FAILS in some things I was certain it would.
    08-19-11 02:34 PM
    once everyone gets used to using the settings, i think most people will be happy with it.
    As it is starting to appear that I am in the minority with how I use my phone I can admit it's looking as if you might be right.

btw python...having had no less than 6 9650's between me and my wife and having tried most of the leaks and a ton of hybrids, the phone still has issues of hanging up (hour glass). the 9930 has only done that when downloading apps for me. speed is important.
    Yes, I totally agree here, my 9650 shuts itself off from time to time, hourglass, critical hang-up's, yeah.

at least for my 9650's, i could take 720 video from the 9930 and freeze a frame for pic a lot quicker than using the 9650 with AF.
    I'm gonna try that and see if it would work for me!

everything is relative. but the lag on the 9650 is a far worse deal breaker to me than this camera thing is.
    No doubt from my tests that the 9930 is wicked fast - I'm very happy with that.
    08-19-11 03:22 PM
    Were you able reproduce any pics like this one that Belfastdispatcher took?
    This is the clearest pic of text i've seen yet from the 99xx series.

Steps are here:

It's easy, keep the phone 20cm away, zoom in close and force the flash on. Oh, and I used the text mode as opposed to close up mode.
    08-19-11 03:36 PM
    Is this not good enough for most?
    08-19-11 03:59 PM
    Were you able reproduce any pics like this one that Belfastdispatcher took?
    This is the clearest pic of text i've seen yet from the 99xx series.

Steps are here:

It's an irrelevant text shot so no, I've not posted any duplicates of it....
    ...I confirmed the picture is real as I've taken several just like it.
    ...When you shoot such a picture with the 9900 the result is you CAN'T read it

The point of converting a photograph into a .pdf or simply taking a picture of a reciept OR an 8.5 x 11'' page with text....
    ...Is to be able to re-produce in full what it says.

When you pay for things yourself and then submit them to the accounting office of your corporation....
    ...They need to see the WHOLE reciept, not a zoomed in section of it.

Every decent picture of text I've seen thus far from a 9900 or 9930 has been done in that way.....
    ...I've attempted 30 or more shots with the 9930 I now have with every setting the camera offers.
    ...And have determined that the camera in the 9900 and 9930 is an inch away from worthless in document capture.
    ...For THIS function the EDoF camera is NOT functional, period.

I was able to confirm however it does a good enough job of taking pictures to pass muster for shots taken of auto damage and was supprised and pleased to see that it exceeded my expectations in that area.

Unfortunately, the ability to use the various PDF scanners is a thing well beyond the ability of RIM's new flagship....
    ...It's really sad because I wanted to use this phone.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-19-11 at 04:16 PM.
    08-19-11 04:13 PM
    Is this not good enough for most?

Who would have a need to create a PDF of something like that?
    ...That's never been the issue, ever.

The point is that you can't zoom out enough to capture the actual page which contains the CONTEXT it was placed within.....
    ...Something the older berry's had ZERO problems in doing.
    08-19-11 04:20 PM
    Camera works fine for me. Sure my Droid 3's camera was better but if I want to take great pics I'll use my Canon.
    In my opinion it takes better pictures than the Droid 3.
    08-19-11 04:24 PM
    In my opinion it takes better pictures than the Droid 3.
    Not of text it.
    08-19-11 04:29 PM
    Pythons � You�re misinterpreting our attempt to help you resolve an issue. Are you looking for something more the size of A4 as I�ve attached?
    billybobjones likes this.
    08-19-11 04:54 PM
    tried the 9900 in a store and i took pics of text just fine. I dont know what the issue is?
    08-19-11 05:08 PM
    tried the 9900 in a store and i took pics of text just fine. I dont know what the issue is?
    I think the root of the issue is there really is no issue.
    Last edited by s.ben; 08-19-11 at 05:15 PM.
    billybobjones likes this.
    08-19-11 05:10 PM
    so what about if you take close pic of someones face ---would that look as bad as text too --blurry n grainy?
    08-19-11 05:21 PM
    Pythons � You�re misinterpreting our attempt to help you resolve an issue. Are you looking for something more the size of A4 as I�ve attached?
    I tried to duplicate that multiple times & I could never get my docs to look like that...
    ....Odd given I've taken shots actually better then that example with my 9650.
    08-19-11 05:25 PM
    It�s very simple actually, select �text� in scene mode, enable flash and take to photo. I�ll take my 9930 EDoF camera hands down over my old 9650 AF. Hope this helps. The only question remaining when will you be picking up your new phone now that you�ve tasted a 9930?
    08-19-11 05:37 PM
    It�s very simple actually, select �text� in scene mode, enable flash and take to photo. I�ll take my 9930 EDoF camera hands down over my old 9650 AF. Hope this helps. The only question remaining when will you be picking up your new phone now that you�ve tasted a 9930?
    I will try it again using your method....
    ...If I can duplicate your results I will pick up the 9930 as soon as the price drops.

My Rep already said they would discount the unit to me so I could get one soon as Sprint starts pushing them over the counter....
    ...I did NOT see VVM on the device so that has me worried.

VVM makes my life easier so if Sprint fails to push that feature to their end-users I will find myself with AT&T.

I have to say the battery issue wasn't an issue at all so what gives with that?
    08-19-11 07:25 PM
    There are options for VVM in App World too.
    08-19-11 08:54 PM
    There are options for VVM in App World too.
    I tried youmail and hated it - I want the official BB vvm.
    08-19-11 10:06 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD