View Poll Results: Has your Bold 9900/9930 turned itself off and not restarted?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Bold 9900 has turned itself off and wouldn't restart.

5 15.15%
  • My Bold 9930 has turned itself off and wouldn't restart.

4 12.12%
  • I have never had this problem with my Bold 9900.

17 51.52%
  • I have never had this problem with my Bold 9930.

7 21.21%
    I went to the Verizon store tonight and said I wanted the new Bold. The rep said, "Do you have your heart set on that phone because it's got problems." After I somewhat calmly told her that I hate it when sales people trash BlackBerrys (I've listened to this for months about the PlayBook and never expected to hear it about the flagship Bold), she told me that she tried to help four people who had come in since the weekend with the issue of the Bold turning off and not turning back on. Verizon didn't have a solution and she just ended up giving them a new battery. With the rep by my side, I looked this up on CrackBerry, found a few threads and some solutions.

Before I commit to switching from the Torch 9850 (which I love) to the Bold, I'd like to know how widespread this problem is. Also, are you using the power cord that came with the Bold? Is it a cord issue, a battery issue, or a port issue? I don't want to repeat the existing threads but would like some statistics. I'm thinking the Bold would work better for me as an input device to the PlayBook now that 2.0 is almost here, and the NFC capability will be handy in the future, but I need a phone I can depend on.
    02-07-12 11:38 PM
    The only devices I've heard of having this problem were 9900s. I've never heard of anyone on VZW .163 (latest official 7.1) having this problem.

I have had a few random reboot troubles lately, but nothing too bad.
    02-07-12 11:51 PM
    I didn't actually in this poll because my 9900 has in 6 months shut itself down mid-day (approx 4 x total) and rebooted but never refused to start up.
    02-08-12 12:19 AM
    9900 since day 1, no issues that were not caused by me.
    02-08-12 12:29 AM
    Rocking my 9930 for the past 3 months. No issues at all.
    02-08-12 01:13 AM
    I've had a berry going back to when they were just email devices and I've never had one brick on me...ever. I ordered my 9930 at 12am the night they became available and have never had one issue with it.
    02-08-12 03:27 AM
    9900 since day 1, no issues that were not caused by me.
    Beginning to believe that many, not all, of the bricking issues blamed on the device itself are result of what the above poster said.
    02-08-12 03:28 AM
    Never had a problem with my 9900 and I have the device since the beginning of december last year
    02-08-12 04:42 AM
    I have had two different 9930's and neither one presented any problems or issues. I was using 7.0.0.374 with one and now use the 7.1 version with the other.
    02-08-12 07:21 AM
    My Bold 9900 has rebooted 4 times, but has always restarted on its own. However, the first few times it happens, you don't realize it is starting back up. It just goes black and then the panic sets in that your phone may have bricked only to find that it is in the process of rebooting. I suspect a few people have corrupted their phone OS by punching buttons during the reboot.
    02-08-12 07:45 AM
    I've had a few random reboots but my 9930 has always started back up. And in agreement with what others have said, I think it was my fault, caused by a theme I downloaded. Once I deleted it, the reboots stopped.
    padamssm likes this.
    02-08-12 10:15 AM
    Thanks to those who responded, and those in other threads in this forum who extolled the virtues of the 9900/9930. I went to a different Verizon Wireless store tonight and bought the 9930 without any drama. The salesperson said no one has come in this store with Bold issues. While the Bold screen has less real estate than the Torch, it is clear and fluid and I love being able to type and hit the keys I mean to. I look forward to my new adventure/love affair!
    02-09-12 01:08 AM
    Where's the vote for this is a stunningly stupid poll topic?
    02-09-12 02:04 AM
    Hasn't happened to mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 02:45 AM
    never had the phone reboot or refuse to turn on. BUUUUUUUT

2 days ago ATT replaced my Bold 9900 with a brand new one. after re-loading the os and multiple times troubleshooting I would get at least 10 Dropped calls a day! with the (CALL WAS LOST) screen everytime.

Drove me nuts. Had my new one for 3 days now and only dropped a call 1 time so far. Must have been a defective antenna or something.
    02-09-12 04:27 AM
    never had the phone reboot or refuse to turn on. BUUUUUUUT

2 days ago ATT replaced my Bold 9900 with a brand new one. after re-loading the os and multiple times troubleshooting I would get at least 10 Dropped calls a day! with the (CALL WAS LOST) screen everytime.

Drove me nuts. Had my new one for 3 days now and only dropped a call 1 time so far. Must have been a defective antenna or something.
    Might I ask, did it have 5 bars during the time your calls were dropped or was it a bad SIM?
    02-09-12 05:05 AM
    Might I ask, did it have 5 bars during the time your calls were dropped or was it a bad SIM?
    It would drop to 0 bars and then drop the call and go back to 5.

They gave me a new sim card too just in case. I guess it is possible just the SIM card was bad but I didn't want to risk it. So I got both
    02-09-12 05:07 AM
    i had a bb 9930 for sometime until it started acting up, so i got a torch the next day, however i started to miss using my 9930, problem is i was using it and it just suddenly shut down and from that point nothing would come up, no red light, pc would not recognize it and i was online the same night looking for solutions to the problem, i tried the app loader nothing, the software manager nothing, so i just decided to leave it alone, its been about 4months now since iv had it sitting in my drawer and last night i took it out and plugged it in and to my surprise the red light came up (the battery was not in the phone at the time) and i tried the app loader thing again and it came up but it was asking me for my password which i forgot and i tried putting in a wrong one 10 times and it kicked me out and then i placed the battery back inside the phone and the red light came off and never came back on.....what do i do??
    05-05-13 02:43 PM
    The only problem I had was when it really wouldn't function unless it was plugged in and discovered I needed a new battery. After I got the new battery it went back to working fine. Had the phone for awhile so I kindif expected it to be the battery.
    05-05-13 03:53 PM
    This happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I was charging my Bold overnight and when I woke up it wouldn't turn on. I tried multiple batteries, plugging it into the wall/computer, everything, but nothing worked. I took it into Verizon to see if they could fix it but I haven't heard back yet.
    05-10-13 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD