Hello

Just got my 9900 yesterday which is good as today is my birthday!!

Has anyone deleted Social Feeds app off their phone? and if so did it improve battery life?Just thought it worth an ask!
    05-25-13 12:08 PM
    Hello

Has anyone deleted Social Feeds app off their phone? and if so did it improve battery life?Just thought it worth an ask!
    Happy Birthday, hope you are having a good one.

Many moons ago when the 9900 first came out there was a theory that deleting social feeds did improve battery life. I haven't seen it mentioned on here for ages so can't recall if the theory was ever proven.

That said, I did delete it at the time and have never had an issue with battery life myself.

I also seem to recall that Social Feeds was said to be responsible for phones hanging when restoring after an OS update.

Bottom line is unless you feel that you will be using it on a daily basis you are probably better off without it.
    GlamGemini likes this.
    05-25-13 12:16 PM
    Social Feeds, Application Resource Monitor are the first things I uninstall when I install a new OS

I also disable battery saving mode as the work it tries to do to conserve battery actually hurts the battery life more than it does any good.

just my 2 cents worth

On a side note, I delete Social Feeds not only for battery concerns, but I don't want all my social stuff in one single messy page. I prefer to open their respective adds individually
    GlamGemini likes this.
    05-25-13 12:34 PM
    Hello

I've used SF for sometime now, never deleted it to notice any battery improvement. However if you go into options while in Social Feed you have a choice to refresh the content 'On Application Launch' or 'Periodically Refresh'

If you are concerned about battery life I would set the content to only update when upon application launch.
    05-25-13 01:07 PM
    Happy Birthday, hope you are having a good one.

Many moons ago when the 9900 first came out there was a theory that deleting social feeds did improve battery life. I haven't seen it mentioned on here for ages so can't recall if the theory was ever proven.

That said, I did delete it at the time and have never had an issue with battery life myself.

I also seem to recall that Social Feeds was said to be responsible for phones hanging when restoring after an OS update.

Bottom line is unless you feel that you will be using it on a daily basis you are probably better off without it.
    This is what I thought, I wouldn't actually use it I don't think, I prefer to open Facebook or whatever individually. So it might be getting deleted. lol. Can't believe how bad the battery is, it drains even when its sitting there doing nothing.

Ah yes birthday was lovely thank you, had a nice day
    05-26-13 08:42 AM
    Social Feeds, Application Resource Monitor are the first things I uninstall when I install a new OS

I also disable battery saving mode as the work it tries to do to conserve battery actually hurts the battery life more than it does any good.

just my 2 cents worth

On a side note, I delete Social Feeds not only for battery concerns, but I don't want all my social stuff in one single messy page. I prefer to open their respective adds individually
    This is how I feel, I'd rather open each individually. Whats Application Resource Monitor? and do I need it?
    05-26-13 08:43 AM
    This is how I feel, I'd rather open each individually. Whats Application Resource Monitor? and do I need it?
    Thats another useless gimmick, here's what it does.

It is a little utility that is programmed to check which apps are sucking any amount of battery at a certain level of time.

Example, it checks @ 2 am to see what's using your battery and it notices app X is using so much battery, so what it does? it shuts down app X GREATTTT you think right? no

here's why:

The apps I or you may have are certainly ones we NEED not some random apps we got from god knows where, so if it is going to shut down any of them to save a tiny little bit of battery, it is hurdling my BB experience.

In my case, it is finding that BerryReader (my fav. news / RSS reader) is being shut down, the problem is, even if I start Berry Reader again and try to refresh the latest news manually, it doesn't work and comes back with a JAVA exception error until I reboot! wow!! so all the litle tiny bit of percentage being saved by application resource monitor by shutting down BerryReader, is not quadrapled loss since as you know a reboot sucks the living ****z out of your battery

just my 2 cents worth

PS: I am on OS 7.1.0.714 and locked on 2G (not 3G) since you get your emails the same speed on 2G or 3G the only diff. 3G makes is maybe when downloading an app or browsing but then when browsing im usually at home or in the office so im on WiFi, thus, 2G saves me a lot of battery with no real world loss

I also have battery saver off and app resource monitor deleted

PS 2: if you go to Settings then Application Management and search for BlackBerry Resource monitor, you may notice that when you press the Menu button again, it is not allowing you to delete it, that is because it is a default app, the way I delete it is, when I went to Appworld, it installed an update for it and then restarted, so then the phone thinks its a regular app not a default app and I was able to delete it after it was upgraded
    Last edited by BullGuard8; 05-27-13 at 11:22 PM.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    05-26-13 10:10 AM