Maybe an app?.... I don't like typing in my password every time my screen locks its so incredibly annoying. Thank you guys in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 06:26 PM
    Not sure what you mean by turned off. Like, actually OFF? I've never turned my phone off...

I don't know of a way to do this. But if you find a way, keep in mind that if you lose your phone or it is stolen, it is more likely to be ON than OFF when it happens, and thus your information won't be protected if you don't use a password on timing out.
    07-03-09 06:35 PM
    If you turn off your phone and turn it back on it will prompt for the password
    anyway.

I think you'd rather only be prompted for a password for when the phone is
    turned back on instead of having to enter it each time you unlock it.
    07-03-09 06:44 PM
    I don't know.
    Though, there's an app to only lock certain apps from your phone. For instance, I have my SMS & E-mail folders locked, as well as my "Media Explorer' (meaning nobody can enter my messages or look at my pictures or music unless they know my password).

It's great for when somebody asks to use my phone to call somewhere, and I have to leave them with my phone for a moment or two (for whatever reason), and I know those things I find important (like maybe hiding pictures/music, sms & e-mail) are locked to them, while still allowing them to make outgoing calls. The annoying thing is, of course, you have to enter this password yourself whenever you want to go into these folders on your bb. But it's worth it for me.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 07-03-09 at 06:59 PM.
    07-03-09 06:56 PM
    If you turn off your phone and turn it back on it will prompt for the password
    anyway.

I think you'd rather only be prompted for a password for when the phone is
    turned back on instead of having to enter it each time you unlock it.
    Yes that!!!! Lol sorry for not being specific enough

07-03-09 06:57 PM
    I don't know.
    Though, there's an app to only lock certain apps from your phone. For instance, I have my SMS & E-mail folders locked, as well as my "Media Explorer' (meaning nobody can enter my messages or look at my pictures or music unless they know my password).

It's great for when somebody asks to use my phone to call somewhere, and I have to leave them with my phone for a moment or two (for whatever reason), and I know those things I find important (like maybe hiding pictures/music, sms & e-mail) are locked to them, while still allowing them to make outgoing calls. The annoying thing is, of course, you have to enter this password yourself whenever you want to go into these folders on your bb. But it's worth it for me.
    That's interesting. Does that mean that every time you open your email folder, you have to use a password? Or is it on a timer? Or do you manually lock it when you pass it to someone else?
    07-03-09 07:00 PM
    That's interesting. Does that mean that every time you open your email folder, you have to use a password? Or is it on a timer? Or do you manually lock it when you pass it to someone else?
    There are a couple options in the app's configuration screen:

Protect your device when:
    *Backlight Changed
    *Protect Device entered (not quite sure wtf this is talking about, haven't tried it yet)
    *Constant Protection (this is what I have selected)

So, yeah, every time I want to enter my e-mail or SMS folders, or whatever else I have locked, I have to enter my password. Is it annoying? Yeah, a little, lol. But I don't really mind it too much.
    07-03-09 07:03 PM
    So if you use a password on timeout, that's two passwords to get into your email when a message comes in. Just debating that.... because I do hate it when someone picks up my phone and it's not at that moment timed out. Get stressed about the email being opened.

You can password protect any folder?

Sorry this is OT.....
    07-03-09 07:12 PM
    So if you use a password on timeout, that's two passwords to get into your email when a message comes in. Just debating that.... because I do hate it when someone picks up my phone and it's not at that moment timed out. Get stressed about the email being opened.

You can password protect any folder?

Sorry this is OT.....
    That is correct. If my phone is locked (due to being idle), and I get an incoming text or e-mail, I have to enter whatever password I normally use to unlock my phone itself, and then enter whatever password I set (can be same password) to enter my SMS/E-mail folders.

However, maybe this is only because I have "Constant Protection" enabled. I never really fiddled around with the other two options (backlight change, and, whatever that other one means).

Also, the app isn't free :\ So, unless you have some cash to spare, that might sway your mind as well. It's $9.99 I believe, however I used the trial first and the trial sent me an e-mail with a coupon to use that saved me $1 off when I bought it later.

Here's a thread about the app incase you are still interested. I, for one, hate paying for apps (especially ones that go into the $10-range), but I really liked this one.

Besides, there's a trial, so go ahead and try it out! Won't hurt, right?
    Just know that if you do download this app, if it says ver 0.0.2 on the bb download page on your phone, there is a bug that causes the app to close when the phone is put into a holster. Therefore, when you take the phone out, the app is closed, leaving all of your protected areas now completely open. In ver 0.0.3, however, this bug is fixed.

And go to page 3, at the bottom of the thread, you'll see my two posts.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...20/index3.html
    07-03-09 07:19 PM
    Totally useful info, Jonneh. Thanks a ton. I don't like very many apps, but if I do like one, I don't mind paying for it.
    07-03-09 07:30 PM
    Hey, no problem. It feels good to actually kind of be useful to fellow blackberry fans here for once. :P Besides, I just found the app, like, last night, and I am really enjoying the security of it already, so I'd like to pass it along. (I don't really know why I've never heard of it before??)

Let me know if you decide to go for it, or at least try the trial.
    07-03-09 07:33 PM
    Am actually looking at it now....but have never downloaded an app to my computer before to put it on my bb. Have only done OTA. So am guessing I need to use the DM to get it on?

Yah, some things I know about when it comes to my bb, and some things not at all....
    07-03-09 08:13 PM
    Worked great. Will try it for a few days. May get in touch if anything odd happens.....
    07-03-09 08:25 PM
    So no one was able to answer my original question?..... I just want the phone itself to lockwith a password only on startup not every time my phone idles while its on.

07-03-09 09:08 PM
    Worked great. Will try it for a few days. May get in touch if anything odd happens.....
    No problem, you can contact me via PM, but sometimes I don't visit crackberry.com daily, so e-mail me or drop me a comment anywhere in my livejournal (link in info I think?), or however you'd like to reach me.

And sorry, I closed the thread for awhile. Obviously you got it though
    Also here are some useful things, as I know some of the names aren't very self-explanatory:

net_rim_bb_file_explorer (i think for the entire media app. pics, music, video, etc?)

net_rim_bb_messaging_app (both emails and sms)

I locked the "Options" menu too.

I also locked the contacts list. I don't like the idea of anybody who I'm allowing to use my phone, having access to ALL my personal phone numbers - 2 years back, my girlfriend at the time was sleeping over at her friend's house and a guy came over to the house who really did not like me because I was dating her (the girl he liked), so he took her phone while she was sleeping and went into the contacts to get my number - needless to say, he started texting/calling me from his own phone at 2am, 3am, etc. Yeah, fun.

So no one was able to answer my original question?..... I just want the phone itself to lockwith a password only on startup not every time my phone idles while its on.

Not sure about that, sorry :|
    Last edited by Jonneh; 07-03-09 at 09:32 PM.
    07-03-09 09:29 PM

I really don't know how to set the phone so that it only needs a password to restart. Sorry - wish I could help.
    07-03-09 09:51 PM
    No problem, you can contact me via PM, but sometimes I don't visit crackberry.com daily, so e-mail me or drop me a comment anywhere in my livejournal (link in info I think?), or however you'd like to reach me.
    No worries. All is working well. So far have only locked my messages and phone. Will take some getting used to, but am feeling good about it - particularly in relation to this one friend who loves to pick up my phone and be "cute" and "funny" about looking at my stuff. Not funny to me!

Thanks again.
    07-03-09 09:55 PM
    anyone else reading this maybe have any input that might help? the point of it is in case it is stolen i don't want the phone to be able to be used. but i don't want to deal with the annoyance of typing a password every time i unlock the screen
    07-03-09 09:56 PM
    No worries. All is working well. So far have only locked my messages and phone. Will take some getting used to, but am feeling good about it - particularly in relation to this one friend who loves to pick up my phone and be "cute" and "funny" about looking at my stuff. Not funny to me!

Thanks again.
    Yeah it only took me a day so far to get used to, I think I'm pretty used to it already. My password is only..*counts* seven characters long, after all. And I feel great knowing I can simply give my acquaintances/friends my phone to make a call or something, but I can choose what they can and can not do on it/view on it, securely, while the device itself as a "whole" is unlocked for them.

That wouldn't be very funny to me either! lol

anyone else reading this maybe have any input that might help? the point of it is in case it is stolen i don't want the phone to be able to be used. but i don't want to deal with the annoyance of typing a password every time i unlock the screen
    Just letting you know, your phone is 95% more likely to be stolen while it is on rather than turned off...unless you happen to, for some reason, turn your phone off a lot. And if it's likely to be stolen while on, and you don't like to have it locked (except only when it powers on), then the thieves are going to have complete 100% access to your entire phone. Contacts, e-mails, texts, options, profiles, important documents, pictures, music and also videos. Everything.

I'm just saying, it's rare that your phone will get stolen while being off, usually.
    07-03-09 10:49 PM
    Yeah it only took me a day so far to get used to, I think I'm pretty used to it already. My password is only..*counts* seven characters long, after all. And I feel great knowing I can simply give my acquaintances/friends my phone to make a call or something, but I can choose what they can and can not do on it/view on it, securely, while the device itself as a "whole" is unlocked for them.

That wouldn't be very funny to me either! lol

Just letting you know, your phone is 95% more likely to be stolen while it is on rather than turned off...unless you happen to, for some reason, turn your phone off a lot. And if it's likely to be stolen while on, and you don't like to have it locked (except only when it powers on), then the thieves are going to have complete 100% access to your entire phone. Contacts, e-mails, texts, options, profiles, important documents, pictures, music and also videos. Everything.

I'm just saying, it's rare that your phone will get stolen while being off, usually.
    my phone is NEVER off... i dont mind if they go through my info i just do not want them to be able to use the phone. eventually the battery will run out or they will restart it lol so that's what i wanted it for
    07-03-09 11:10 PM
    my phone is NEVER off... i dont mind if they go through my info i just do not want them to be able to use the phone. eventually the battery will run out or they will restart it lol so that's what i wanted it for
    So, you're okay with the thieves going through your info and everything if it gets stolen (because you refuse to lock it out of annoyance of having to retype the password whenever it goes idle), you just don't want them to be able to "use the phone"..what does that mean exactly? You don't want them to be able to make outgoing calls with your phone? And not be able to download things to your phone?

There are definitely apps out there (pay-for-apps, I believe) that will completely WIPE your phone if you realize it has been stolen and you don't want the thieves to have access to any part of your phone.

Or maybe you should install the app I was talking with KB about in this thread above, ($9.99), and put a password on ONLY the phone app, so they can't make outgoing calls without a password, even though the phone itself will still be unlocked for them. Maybe this is possible, I don't really know which "program" to lock in order to try and lock the phone from making outgoing calls without a password.

KB, if you see this, do you think it'd work?
    (edit: ) Actually, nevermind. That would make it to where he himself has to enter a password every time HE wants to make a call, too, even if it worked. Which is exactly what he does not want. Yeah, dude, just lock your phone regularly...or buy the app KB and I are enjoying.

Otherwise, I really don't know. Personally, I think you should save all of your money and time and just lock the phone when it idles. It may seem really annoying for the first couple of days to have to enter that password when it goes idle, but you get used to it quickly - seriously.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 07-03-09 at 11:59 PM.
    07-03-09 11:57 PM
    I don't think it is possible to do what you want - there is an app called Roblock that enables you to send an email/sms (or via a website) to your phone if it is stolen and which locks it and/or wipes it, even make it sound a siren noise!
    Obviously need to do it quickly if the phone is stolen but might give you the peace of mind yoiu need for $9.99.
    07-04-09 01:46 AM
    The reason I am willing to try a double-password system - once to open the phone from idle and once again for specific apps (right now only messages and the phone) is because of how fast and easy I am finding it to type my password. Unlike yours, Jonneh, mine is only 4 keys and located on the right side of the keyboard, so I can do it with my right hand. I basically type in my password as I am picking the phone up. It might - maybe - take 2 seconds.

So now I am in a thing where it's two seconds to open the phone and, if I am going to messages, another two. I think I can live with that.
    07-04-09 08:31 AM
    H-ell, mine is seven characters and even I find it taking 2, maybe 3 seconds to type.

I basically type in my password as I am picking the phone up. It might - maybe - take 2 seconds.

So now I am in a thing where it's two seconds to open the phone and, if I am going to messages, another two. I think I can live with that.
    Same here - I am in the exact same process and already it feels quite natural and not too much of a hassle at all (I've had it for, what, 2 days now I guess?).

Lol, you and I are on a double-passworded system and there are still people who can't even "put up with" one password. But, to each his/her own. I love this added casual security.
    07-04-09 08:35 AM
    Maybe I'll add another app and go triple.... or get a fingerprint or voice-recognition program. Ha!

Yah I don't mind that the second level of security is casual - it's for friends, not thieves. And now I am not going to freak when someone asks to use my phone to Google something or picks it up to scroll through my wallpapers. Feeling good about not having to stress.
    07-04-09 08:41 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD