Well, that's my beautiful Bold 9900 going back to Vodafone UK. I loved the device - best BB I've owned so far but the call end panel flaw is too much for me I'm afraid. It was lifted, causing a sharp edge as I moved my finger of and onto the track pad from the screen.

And from the pictures in Kevin's review, his was the same. While I could probably get one that was fine, I'm not confident that it wouldn't lift as the glue heated or dried or as the panel was used.

So, I'll keep my BB 9780 which has been great, after a false start with a dodgy handset, and scout around for iPhone 5 when it comes. Gutted!

Good luck everyone else with yours!
    dlob0099 likes this.
    08-16-11 12:12 PM
    Sorry it did not work out for you.

Manufacturer's defects are pretty common on any mass produced device.
    08-16-11 12:20 PM
    i think you should consider and give it another try. I had two faulty iPhone 4 as well and a stuttering 9780. These things can happen... Just have it replaced.
    08-16-11 12:29 PM
    K thanks for sharing
    08-16-11 01:16 PM
    Hope you can get a new one soon!
    08-16-11 01:28 PM
    Isn't everyone's like this?
    08-16-11 01:56 PM
    Isn't everyone's like this?
    Lol no. Mine is perfectly fine - Telus 9900.
    08-16-11 02:59 PM
    Manufacturer's defects are pretty common on any mass produced device.
    For a flagship device, I would have thought RIM would have better QC.
    08-16-11 03:28 PM
    For a flagship device, I would have thought RIM would have better QC.
    True, on some small level, but not really pertinent to the thread.
    08-16-11 03:37 PM
    I was wondering if threads like this would start appearing. I remember when the 9650 came out. Same type of stuff.
    08-16-11 03:50 PM
    Lol no. Mine is perfectly fine - Telus 9900.
    I had to return TWO Telus 9900 and now Telus suspect that I did something wrong. They told me they will investigate my claim and if they find nothing wrong with the two 9900s I returned, they will charge me $600 or something that will cover the price of one device.

If that happen, I will take a trip to RIM in Ontario and yell at the first person I meet there. I will show them what everyone is saying. Since 9780 there is a huge decline in hardware quality of BBs.

First phone: Light emitting from the bottom of the phone (Made in Mexico 4)

Second phone: The keypad is making sounds when I click and sometimes double type. (Made in Mexico 4)

May be RIM should shut down their Mexican manufacturing plants all together!

If Telus charge me, I will go nuts.
    08-16-11 04:00 PM
    I had to return TWO Telus 9900 and now Telus suspect that I did something wrong. They told me they will investigate my claim and if they find nothing wrong with the two 9900s I returned, they will charge me $600 or something that will cover the price of one device.

If that happen, I will take a trip to RIM in Ontario and yell at the first person I meet there. I will show them what everyone is saying. Since 9780 there is a huge decline in hardware quality of BBs.

Second phone: The keypad is making sounds when I click and sometimes double type. (Made in Mexico 4)

Canada just signed a Free-Trade agreement with Honduras, so guess where the next manufacturing plant is going to be 5 Honduras

Oh btw, my Mexican 9780 was a dbl tapping demon. Damn I hated that phone!!!!

LoL
    mssca likes this.
    08-16-11 04:04 PM
    Canada just signed a Free-Trade agreement with Honduras, so guess where the next manufacturing plant is going to be 5 Honduras

Oh btw, my Mexican 9780 was a dbl tapping demon. Damn I hated that phone!!!!

LoL
    See even you agree with me. Telus Mobility is saying that I must laying and they will investigate me. I am going to show them the Crackberry.com complains on double type issue as a proof that I am not laying. Thank you for the info... I noticed the double type issue on 9780 before.
    08-16-11 04:14 PM
    I was wondering if threads like this would start appearing. I remember when the 9650 came out. Same type of stuff.
    I usually shake my head wearily at these threads too. But this time it's me. Now with Apple I would take a chance because they faithfully replace faulty gear. But not with RIM I'm afraid. They need to start designing these silly flaws out of their products. I blame the designers for making a product difficult to manufacture well, not those hard working people who actually make them. Take Samsung - cheap plasticy products that just work because they are well designed.
    08-16-11 04:16 PM

Did you mail the two devices for replacements or handed them personally to a customer service rep? Just curious as your carrier would just swap out a new device without first troubleshooting it and then say that if you were up to no good, here's a big outstanding bill.
    08-16-11 04:24 PM
    Take Samsung - cheap plasticy products that just work because they are well designed.
    Wait wait...Samsung devices just feels like it's cheap plasticy, but I assure you, I was charged US $530. LOL
    08-16-11 04:27 PM
    Well, that's my beautiful Bold 9900 going back to Vodafone UK. I loved the device - best BB I've owned so far but the call end panel flaw is too much for me I'm afraid. It was lifted, causing a sharp edge as I moved my finger of and onto the track pad from the screen.

And from the pictures in Kevin's review, his was the same. While I could probably get one that was fine, I'm not confident that it wouldn't lift as the glue heated or dried or as the panel was used.

So, I'll keep my BB 9780 which has been great, after a false start with a dodgy handset, and scout around for iPhone 5 when it comes. Gutted!

Good luck everyone else with yours!
    I don't understand posts like this just change it out for another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-16-11 04:30 PM

I think the 9700 was one device that had very few manufacturing defects if any for that matter.
    08-16-11 05:27 PM
    When a manufacturer makes tens of millions of an item there are going to be some defects. There is no way that every one of them can be perfect, even if only .5% of them are defective in some small way that is still a lot of units. I don't think there is an epidemic of bad phones going on here, it's simply the luck of the draw.

08-16-11 07:52 PM
    Another Telus 9900 with a lifting panel here. Also when I press the escape key, intermitantly brings up the switch application screen instead of going back a screen or closing the app. I wish there was a setting to disable the touchscreen. Awesome that you can do everything without the screen, but it'd be nice to be able to shut it off for some applications.

08-16-11 08:02 PM
    I guess I'm going to wait to purchase the "green dot" version.
    08-16-11 08:12 PM
    Unfortunately this is a common occurence with anything that comes out of the Mexican plants. If you get any that are made in Hungary, they are usually a lot better put together and Canadian built phones (normally engineering samples these days) are the best of the bunch.

I'm pretty sure the country of manufacturer is on the side of the box, I'd suggest opening anything from Mexico in store and looking it over before accepting it.
    08-16-11 08:15 PM

I do understand these posts completely. RIM needs to understand these posts and customers who think like him.

If I paid �500 for a gadget or will pay it out over the course of a contract, I expect the device I've just bought to be put together impecably.

It is a retail market, where other manufacturers do for the most part keep their QC within check, RIM can't afford not to understand this problem. Especially when it seems so widespread with devices coming from one specific factory.

Just my 2cents.
    Dlanod likes this.
    08-16-11 08:18 PM

I think it's a design flaw rather than a manufacturing fault and therefore in my opinion the likelihood of it becoming an issue even for good handsets after a period of time are high. So no I don't want another one. Even the one Kevin tested was clearly showing the issue.
    08-16-11 11:56 PM
    Unfortunately this is a common occurence with anything that comes out of the Mexican plants. If you get any that are made in Hungary, they are usually a lot better put together and Canadian built phones (normally engineering samples these days) are the best of the bunch.

I'm pretty sure the country of manufacturer is on the side of the box, I'd suggest opening anything from Mexico in store and looking it over before accepting it.
    ......and my faulty handset was a Hungary made one.
    08-16-11 11:57 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD