So after being on OS 6 (VZW/6.0.0.524) for a while now, here are my major gripes with it:

1. I've had no end of problems with Bluetooth headsets when I'm using call waiting. The issues range from not being able to disconnect a caller using the headset button all the way to not being able to initiate calls, use any voice commands, or listen to music (via A2DP) after such calls.

2. The GPS seems to be more UNavailable in this release than others. Sometimes exiting the app requesting location services and restarting it will allow it to pull a location fix, other times going into settings and disabling then re-enabling GPS support will resolve the problem, and other times nothing less than a battery pull will bring it back. Quite annoying when you're trying to navigate somewhere and have to wait the 5-7 mins for the device to reboot!

3. The backlight setting in BlackBerry Maps seems to be just about worthless. No matter what it's set to, the backlight always times out just as it would if BB Maps wasn't even running.

4. The most recent changes made by Google to their Gmail interface for BlackBerry OS 6 devices cause an instant reboot when loading the Gmail page in the BB browser. It only happens if you're signed in, and only with the Gmail page...not the search page or the Google Plus interface (so far).

5. When opening either the Music or Ringtones folders under Media and starting to type (to activate the search functionality) as soon as each is "open", the first two letters are always transposed for some reason. It doesn't happen with Video, Pictures, or Voice Notes...only Music and Ringtones.

6. No sepia or black/white scene modes for the camera. Pretty lame considering even the first Curve had this available.

7. The ObEx (object exchange) bluetooth profile seemingly limited to only address book entries. I used to be able to transfer photos, videos, music, etc from device to device using bluetooth, and now it seems this functionality has been removed...possibly for good. Again, very lame especially since even the first Curve had this functionality too!

8. PTT functionality keeps re-enabling itself after at some as yet undetermined interval, after *every* app install done via App World, and after *every* reboot. Wouldn't be a problem except that having PTT enabled seems to increase my battery drain noticably. As such, I only enable it when I'm planning to use it.

9. P/N and J/K shortcut key functionality reversed. Not sure if this was a bug, or if it was a conscious decision on RIM's part, and so far I'm the only one that seems to have noticed, but ever since the first beta of OS 6 was released, the functionality of these shortcut keys has been reversed. It used to be that "P" would go the the previous day/message, and "N" would advance to the next day/message...but in OS 6 "P" goes to the next day/message and "N" goes to the previous. While I think I'm finally used to the new functionality of these shortcut keys (for the most part anyway...still having trouble remembering that "J" is now the previous message in the thread and "K" is the next one), it was a major pain in the a$$ when I first started using OS 6.

10. Still No DND option in the profiles. Not sure why they chose to remove this in the first place, but it was a poor decision on RIM's part.

Has anyone else noticed these same issues? Or, more importantly, is anyone NOT having these same problems?
    Last edited by jeremyn; 08-16-11 at 03:48 PM.
    08-16-11 03:46 PM
    Sounds like you have a bad install of 524. Reload the OS.
    My media opens and when i go to ringtones or music, my letters are NOT transposed. Also, I shrink out PTT so it doesn't come on EVER. lol

Oh and I have a BT headset and no problems doing what you say you can't do. Load up 6.0.0.600 on that phone and try it again.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 08-16-11 at 04:46 PM.
    08-16-11 04:41 PM
    Sorry, I should've mentioned that due to an ongoing issue with dropped calls, this is my 5th Bold with OS 6, and the second (or third?) with 6.0.0.524...and all of them with this build of the OS have had the transposed buttons in the Music and Ringtones search....so it's not just this one install on this one device. I bet if you open the Music folder and start typing immediately you'll see what I'm talking about....assuming you're running 524, that is.

AFAIK 6.0.0.600 has never been officially released for VZW, and because I'm working with their tech support to troubleshoot dropped calls, I have to stay with official OS's....for now.
    08-16-11 05:05 PM
    With all the issues with 6.0 can't you go back to a more stable OS?
    08-16-11 05:10 PM
    I'm sure I could, but then I would miss out on other things that I have come to rely on in OS 6...such as the webkit browser. But the real question is why should I have to downgrade just because they can't build a decent OS? Also, OS 5's battery life was abominable. I had to recharge an average of 3 times a day. Not to mention the 10+ min reboot times. Go back to that? No thank you.
    08-16-11 05:14 PM
    I hear you on the DND. I loved having that option, and it was ridiculous that it was removed. I never had an os 5 device, but I heard it was absent from those, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 05:23 PM
    Like jaydee said, load up something other than 524. VZW tech support is pretty much worthless: reboot, pull the battery, wipe the device, blah blah blah.
    08-16-11 05:32 PM
    I would love to switch to a different build...maybe even a hybrid, but as I'm still working with VZW support my hands are tied, especially since I've already had my issue "investigated" by RIM, who has already washed their hands of it. Worthless are they may be, they are still working with me to resolve the problem, so I'm somewhat obligated to keep following their instructions.

Edit: forgot to mention that RIM had me wipe the device multiple times, of course.

Last edited by jeremyn; 08-16-11 at 07:12 PM.
    08-16-11 06:59 PM
    Also, I had an OS 5 device (Tour 9630). Iirc, OS 4.7 (or was it 4.5?) was the last OS to have DND, and I complained when I found out that they removed it.

08-16-11 07:18 PM
    I would love to switch to a different build...maybe even a hybrid, but as I'm still working with VZW support my hands are tied, especially since I've already had my issue "investigated" by RIM, who has already washed their hands of it. Worthless are they may be, they are still working with me to resolve the problem, so I'm somewhat obligated to keep following their instructions.

Edit: forgot to mention that RIM had me wipe the device multiple times, of course.

If RIM's not helping you, then VZW isn't going to do much. Good luck though.
    08-16-11 07:24 PM
    If ur hands are tied and you can't change OS then not much you can gripe about. Multiple people have told you the fix is to change OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-16-11 07:29 PM
    You have to decide whether you want to please tech support and abide by their terms or upgrade ur OS and fix the problem. It would be a no brainer for me. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

08-16-11 07:42 PM
    I don't think you understand the point of my post. I'm not looking for assistance...I'm only looking for confirmation that the problems I'm seeing with this OS are being seen by most people, and also wanted to document my findings in a place where others could see them and make comments. As the title of my thread implies, these are my gripes with OS 6. It doesn't say "help me fix these problems" because I know most of them are just bugs that need to be resolved (but probably never will be).

08-16-11 07:44 PM
    Ok dude, then read the 524 thread then if your just looking for others with the same gripes.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nguage-615832/

I don't think most people who have or had 524 had so many problems. I know I sure didn't.

Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-16-11 at 07:58 PM.
    08-16-11 07:49 PM
    That's right. We had problems and we moved on to better OS to fix the problem. I hope you find what you are looking for. .524 thread like Pcgizmo said will show you lots of gripes.

08-16-11 07:56 PM
    I read it. Or rather, I've been reading it...since this version was released. I don't think I listed even one of the same issues they did, and some of the things I listed aren't bugs per se....which is why I created a separate thread.

Thus far no one has confirmed (nor denied) the majority of my issues....and on top of that, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only BlackBerry customer in the world that has ever used the "P", "N", "J", and "K" shortcut keys as no one I've mentioned this to before (including techs at RIM...heh) has had an inkling as to what I'm talking about.

Does everyone else's BB Maps backlight setting work properly? Has anyone else noticed reboots when loading gmail.com in the BB browser? Has no one else missed the ObEx functionality which the device was once capable of? After (just) re-reading 11 pages of issues with this OS, I can't possibly be the only one to have noticed these things....can I? Or am I the only one still running the latest official VZW release?
    08-16-11 08:47 PM
    Also, I had an OS 5 device (Tour 9630). Iirc, OS 4.7 (or was it 4.5?) was the last OS to have DND, and I complained when I found out that they removed it.

My 8330m was on 4.6(?), and that had DND. Apologists try to say turning off the wireless network, turning all alerts off, or pressing the end key when a call comes in is the same thing, but it's not. DND sends calls directly to voicemail, without lighting up the screen and without allowing an unauthorized person to answer a call on the locked phone. Frankly, I'm surprised RIM overlooks this as a valuable security feature.

As for the p/n shortcuts, I've used them before on my Curve, and n always went to the oldest unread message. I'll try it when I accumulate some emails. (I just cleared all of them recently.) The other ones (j/k) I'm unfamiliar with.

08-16-11 08:59 PM
    Also, with DND, I could enable it, still use data on my CDMA device, and/or make outgoing calls without being disturbed by incoming calls and/or unaware that someone has left a voicemail.

08-16-11 09:05 PM
    Just checked my maps options -- wasn't even aware it had options, so thank you for that! -- and I can only find one that disables the backlight when the battery level goes below a designated percentage. Then there's a check the box option "Enable KNM Manager" (not sure what that is) and global options for things like measurements. Can't find anything to set the backlight timeout.

Last edited by T�nis; 08-16-11 at 09:20 PM.
    08-16-11 09:14 PM
    Okay, tried the maps backlight option. My battery is at ~46%, and I set it to timeout when the battery level drops below 25%. The backlight still timed out at 20 seconds (where I have my backlight normally set to time out), so I don't know what this feature is supposed to do or if it even works.

08-16-11 09:34 PM
    Confirmed -- n moves to the next message (from top to bottom) in the list, and p moves "back" from bottom to top. So if the newest message is at the top -- and it is -- and you open that first, yes, n will move to the next newest message. For me, this is okay. I see it as n moves the screen left to right and p moves the screen right to left, with it moving left to right, newest to oldest.

Last edited by T�nis; 08-16-11 at 10:49 PM.
    08-16-11 10:46 PM
    So what is Webkit Browser? Did I miss something great on my new phone? I hate not having the List view and the zoom feature and the worse not being able to change the Font in the browser.

Downloaded Opera but no thanks.
    08-17-11 07:24 AM
    RIM's "moving on" speaks volumes.
    08-17-11 07:30 AM
    You guys act like this gripe list is something new. OS6 has had shortcomings for MONTHS. And there are tons of threads about all these problems already. I never have had any of the things you mentioned bother me. I love OS6, I love my Bold and it all works for me. And yes, I move to the newest OS version everytime one comes out. Maybe the Bold isn't for you? I dunno. But if you're gonna be frustrated over what the n/k/p/q keys do...why use the damn thing? I mean really. Get a phone and an OS that suits you.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 08-17-11 at 09:08 AM.
    john_v and trucky like this.
    08-17-11 08:54 AM
    When my Storm 2 started giving me audio problems again I looked briefly at other non BB phones. No Thanks. I don't play games or watch movies on my cell phone, I use as a phone (duh) and next most important my email.

I buy and sell a lot on eBay and Craigslist, so I NEED my email to work. Also have lots of retirement hobbies and visit a lot of user groups or forums. Plus and a big plus I can Tether my phone to my laptop when out of town or at our vacation home and do it all online. I even have a app to connect to our webcam we use for security.
    My wife and I have the same phones, so we can share the charger and the car charger on trips.

My only big gripe is the Browser and not being able to do List view and Font size. Maybe RIM will see the error and make it an option in the next OS?
    Other than that I love all my BB's.
    08-17-11 03:08 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD