What happened to Research In Motion and where are they going? : Boy Genius Report

Every major BB site needs to pin this as the #1 headline article until RIM responds.
    06-30-09 11:42 PM
    Interesting read. Thanks.
    06-30-09 11:51 PM
    Posted already:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bgr...-going-257701/
    Last edited by andyahs; 06-30-09 at 11:57 PM.
    06-30-09 11:55 PM
    I agree completely. I hope someone at RIM reads it.
    06-30-09 11:58 PM
    Interesting article.

Give the Storm another year, then let's see...

RIM will respond to the market need, and right now the primary market for RIM is business users.

Storm will evolve in the next year and better compete with consumer devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 11:59 PM
    thanks for the link good article. I do agree on some points but not on others.
    07-01-09 12:00 AM
    Lets go with the exisiting thread in General Discussion. It's posted in the 3rd post.
    07-01-09 12:23 AM
    I half expected that from Gizmodo, with all the Apple iPhone fanboys that run that site.

07-01-09 01:18 AM
    interesting report, hopefully RIM work on it
    07-01-09 01:33 AM
    I'm an avid BGR reader but this "rant" I thought was a bit misguided. His example of being able to download Tiger Woods Golf and play it in 5 minutes on his iphone is just absurd. I mean, I don't give a crap about that. That's what my Xbox 360 is for. Here was my comment:

Blackberry is great because of what it is. Solid, easy to use, efficient, effective, #1 communication device out there.

Any “consumerization” beyond that is just gravy, as far as I’m concerned. And I’m not some old businessman. I’m right out of MBA grad school and a huge tech guy. However, having used the Iphone and Windows Mobile 6, all that other “stuff” that you so desperately desire is not what I want in a phone. If it can have it and not jeopardize the other features, fine, ok, good. But don’t clutter my efficient Blackberry with a bunch of crap for kids and nerds who think playing games on their phones and browsing random websites is as important as all the other things that BB does so well.

I do not see myself leaving BB ANYTIME in the near future. Their hardware and communication software is ridiculously better than anything else I’ve tried.

They continue to improve the hardware and software, albeit gradually - and as long as they do that, I’m quite happy.

What do I want on my BB Bold that I don’t have? Maybe a better camera and a touchscreen to go with my keyboard. The browser could be improved but it does a solid job, in my opinion. The websites you want to load are things I’ll stick to viewing on my PC or laptop, where they belong. I think they’re heading in the right direction with things like new BBM in 5.0 and implementation of an App Store.

To be clear, I don’t disagree that they need to be vigilant about staying up to date with their competitors. That’s business 101 - we’re not talking about kids running a lemonade stand here. RIM is a large corporate company that has maintained a huge market share.

Just realize that the demographic of people who visit this site are obsessive tech junkies, nerds, fanboys, etc. (I’m sorry if that insults any of you but seriously, think about it) The demographics that BB has been so good at holding on to are the ones that are important, and you don’t revamp your entire OS to try and satisfy the Boy Geniuses of the world with fancy games and other crap at the risk of losing or compromising the core functionality that has been the #1 key to your success.
    07-01-09 03:07 PM
    Great response jeffreli!

07-01-09 05:19 PM
    I half expected that from Gizmodo, with all the Apple iPhone fanboys that run that site.

Why would you only expect that from an Apple fanboy? I'm not a fanboy of either company and I agree with him. RIM is trying to break into the consumer market and their OS is not consumer friendly. Their whole core is about business. If RIM doesn't want to lose the consumer market share that they already have, they really do need to step it up.

BBs are great because they just work and are very efficient at what they do, but nowadays that is not enough anymore.
    07-01-09 05:38 PM
    I'm an avid BGR reader but this "rant" I thought was a bit misguided. His example of being able to download Tiger Woods Golf and play it in 5 minutes on his iphone is just absurd. I mean, I don't give a crap about that. That's what my Xbox 360 is for. Here was my comment:

Blackberry is great because of what it is. Solid, easy to use, efficient, effective, #1 communication device out there.

Any ďconsumerizationĒ beyond that is just gravy, as far as Iím concerned. And Iím not some old businessman. Iím right out of MBA grad school and a huge tech guy. However, having used the Iphone and Windows Mobile 6, all that other ďstuffĒ that you so desperately desire is not what I want in a phone. If it can have it and not jeopardize the other features, fine, ok, good. But donít clutter my efficient Blackberry with a bunch of crap for kids and nerds who think playing games on their phones and browsing random websites is as important as all the other things that BB does so well.

I do not see myself leaving BB ANYTIME in the near future. Their hardware and communication software is ridiculously better than anything else Iíve tried.

They continue to improve the hardware and software, albeit gradually - and as long as they do that, Iím quite happy.

What do I want on my BB Bold that I donít have? Maybe a better camera and a touchscreen to go with my keyboard. The browser could be improved but it does a solid job, in my opinion. The websites you want to load are things Iíll stick to viewing on my PC or laptop, where they belong. I think theyíre heading in the right direction with things like new BBM in 5.0 and implementation of an App Store.

To be clear, I donít disagree that they need to be vigilant about staying up to date with their competitors. Thatís business 101 - weíre not talking about kids running a lemonade stand here. RIM is a large corporate company that has maintained a huge market share.

Just realize that the demographic of people who visit this site are obsessive tech junkies, nerds, fanboys, etc. (Iím sorry if that insults any of you but seriously, think about it) The demographics that BB has been so good at holding on to are the ones that are important, and you donít revamp your entire OS to try and satisfy the Boy Geniuses of the world with fancy games and other crap at the risk of losing or compromising the core functionality that has been the #1 key to your success.
    Great reply and agree 100%....If the reason you want a bb is to play "tiger woods" then this is not a phone 4 you. The bb is made for what its made and everything else is extras on it

07-01-09 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD