07-08-09 12:41 PM
31 12
tools
    My battery cover was a little squeaky in the upper right hand part. All I did to fix it was take a business card, cut out a section to fit the camera lens, place it on the battery, and put the cover back on. It fits a lot tighter now.

Anyone have an objection to doing it this way? Could this be dangerous? If you wouldn't recommend this, please let me know. I haven't noticed any heat or anything from the battery in the past, so I don't think there's a fire risk.

Here's a pic:

01-18-09 07:37 PM
    I am not sure there is a risk or not but people do it with there Storms.
    01-18-09 07:40 PM
    I can't imagine it being a problem. If your phone is getting to the temperature that would ignite paper then your phone would have to have some serious problems.
    01-18-09 08:11 PM
    seems fine. it is a common fix for cellphones with loose back covers so it shouldnt damage your bold
    01-18-09 08:13 PM
    i noticed on my buddy's storm that user error occourred you just need to pay a bit more attention putting the casing on
    01-18-09 09:04 PM
    Seems like a pita having to remove/replace one more piece for a battery pull but if you have a squeaky cover it may be worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 09:55 PM
    sorry you have that problem. guess I got a lucky bold because I have no cosmetic problems anywhere.

kind of crazy that a $400+ phone needs a business card to make it "tighter"
    01-18-09 10:07 PM
    Seems like a pita having to remove/replace one more piece for a battery pull but if you have a squeaky cover it may be worth it.

Quickpull will solve this
    01-19-09 01:50 AM
    My bold doesnt squeak either, to the people with battery door issues was it always like that? Or did it start squeaking over time?
    01-19-09 02:38 AM
    My battery door was squeaky from the beginning and it got gradually worse with use. It was just a minor annoyance, but this helped tremendously! Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of this.

It serves another purpose though.. If someone were to find my phone and (kindly) wanted to return it, the business card serves as an emergency contact. They would see the card taped to the inside of the battery door and be overcome with a moral obligation to do the right thing! Okay, maybe that's just wishful thinking but it doesn't hurt..
    01-19-09 03:20 AM
    The cover is THAT loose????

Just hope that if the phone ever heats up too much it doesn't ignite a fire like a previous poster said.

01-19-09 05:27 AM
    Just hope you don't need the number on that business card too often

The guy who sold me my Bold told me that if I ever put the battery cover on wrong it would loosen up. He said never latch the bottom unless the top was in the right place, because it would loosen up the bottom latch allowing the cover to fit not as tight.

Good for you for finding a solution, and thanks for sharing.
    01-19-09 07:37 AM
    i should give this a try.

the first couple weeks of having the phone i didn't notice anything. but now when i type with two hands my fingers press up against the door and i hear a squeaky sound around the latch part...weird.

thanks again for the idea
    01-19-09 11:44 AM
    I tried something like that, but it was straps of tape, maybe 7-8 layers on the left and right side. But.. after doing that.. my back cover is falling off really easy.. And it really bothers me. I don't remember if it was before or when i put the tape in though.
    01-19-09 12:33 PM
    i just slapped a clear hard case on the phone doesnt have to worry about that annoying batter cover always coming off
    01-19-09 01:57 PM
    This is exactly what I do and it is pretty ridiculous that I have to do this for an otherwise great and relatively expensive phone...
    01-19-09 02:09 PM
    that's a HUGE piece of card u put there... mine is only the size of a regular SD card (after folding it once)... it's usually the size of the cushion, but the thickness...
    01-19-09 02:33 PM
    My batt cover was never squeaky, but it did come off from time to time initially. I am still not sure why; however, it is just fine now.
    01-19-09 02:35 PM
    I just used scotch tape on either side.
    01-19-09 03:50 PM
    Silly putty works for me. I just use 2 little tiny balls and stick them on the corners of the battery or where ever you need to to stop the creaking. Becareful with the business cards, batteries need to breath when they discharge.

01-19-09 05:21 PM
    Take care not to over shim the cover, I have had three Bolds and covers were loose on all of them. I put a shim in and it felt solid until the cover popped off during a call..it was perhaps slightly thicker than a business card. I now have two post it notes folded under the cove and it works well to eliminate the looseness. Got the idea from another forum member, sorry I canít remember who to give the credit to.
    01-20-09 07:34 PM
    when i first got my bold, the upper right hand part of the battery cover would squeak all the time, now with a week or two wort of use, i no longer have this problem.
    Has anyone else experienced this
    01-20-09 07:55 PM
    when i first got my bold, the upper right hand part of the battery cover would squeak all the time, now with a week or two wort of use, i no longer have this problem.
    Has anyone else experienced this
    Yeah, the same thing happened to me. Weird stuff.
    01-20-09 07:57 PM

Not to thread hijack, but somewhat on topic what with accessing the battery for a battery pull-- why not SHIFT-ALT-DEL reset that way? Is that not the same as a battery pull? What's the advantage to a battery pull?
    01-21-09 08:49 AM
    I actually did the business card thing the first day I had my bold, it definetley works. What I plan on doing is buying a piece of foam to apply to the inside of my battery cover with some double sided tape so it is not as "ghetto-rigged"
    01-21-09 08:51 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD