So, today I got 2 9650's... figured I'd give a little insight on the upcoming device and what to expect.

First and most noticeable would be the 2GB of Built-in memory.

Processor speed has most definitely been increased, as to where I found my Tour 9630 running like a turd the 9650 is cruising right along... I haven't experienced any lock ups or slow downs as of yet.. I can't say it's as fast as the 9700 but it's definitely an improvement.

Wifi is huge... and we all know it should have been on the original tour

The camera seems to be a big improvement.

Trackpad... as everyone knows, is amazing.

Dislikes:

The screen and the button/trackpad area are no longer flush to the screen, there is a very noticeable lip. One of them that I received the trackpad sticks out pretty far... needless to say I'll be keeping the one that is flush like the 9700's are.

Cosmetically they are identical to the original 9630.. not horrible but a slight change would have been nice. The 2 units I received are Sprint versions, but one is branded and the other is unbranded. They both were activated and worked on sprints network, the unbranded version has an updated battery back kinda like the verizon 9630 back, but with a different pattern then the carbon fiber. The branded version has the exact same battery back that came on sprints 9630. Both have Sprint software installed.. yet the unbranded version did not have the sprint theme pre-installed.

If there is any questions or something particular that you would like to know.. feel free to ask.
    Last edited by KSW1; 04-16-10 at 10:01 AM.
    04-15-10 05:47 PM
    hmm so is this a replacement for the 9630 then? I had a tech tell me I could get a new Tour if I wanted after describing the issues I was having after the V5 upgrade.
    04-15-10 05:49 PM
    hmm so is this a replacement for the 9630 then? I had a tech tell me I could get a new Tour if I wanted after describing the issues I was having after the V5 upgrade.
    Yep, the 9630 will be phased out. The 9650 will be taking it's place.
    04-15-10 05:51 PM
    I thought the cameras were the same?
    04-15-10 06:14 PM
    Is the battery the same as the Tour?
    04-15-10 06:21 PM
    The built in memory is useless when you have a media card. I'm not sure why they would add that when the Tours come with a 2gb card already.

You say it's faster, but did you have the same apps and all the normal stuff you use loaded on the 9650? Like contacts, messages, calendar entries, etc. Or was the 9650's just straight from the factory?

I really hope it's faster as you say though. It should have the same or better processor than what's in the 9700.

Thanks for the little review though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 06:22 PM
    The 9650 suppose to be a BOLD right????
    04-15-10 07:09 PM
    does yours say Bold on the back like the new 9650's?
    04-15-10 07:13 PM
    The built in memory is useless when you have a media card. I'm not sure why they would add that when the Tours come with a 2gb card already.

You say it's faster, but did you have the same apps and all the normal stuff you use loaded on the 9650? Like contacts, messages, calendar entries, etc. Or was the 9650's just straight from the factory?

I really hope it's faster as you say though. It should have the same or better processor than what's in the 9700.

Thanks for the little review though.

Both my 9630 and the 9650 are completely stock with no extra apps. Same contacts... Now from what I can tell the 9650 is cruising right along a lot better then the 9630. But being a TMO and Sprint customer I have 2 9700's on me at all time... the 9650 is not as powerful as the 9700. I confirmed this with something as simple as a theme. I am a theme developer so I installed my Sovereign 16 icons hidden sliding dock and the 9650 did lag on the scroll and didn't seem to like the theme. It was usable but nothing like the 9700...

The camera may be the OS that's installed not hardware, but there is a difference, it focuses a lot quicker... and seems to take cleaner pictures.

OS .412 is what's installed on these 9650's.

These are for sure test devices and not final releases... so there is no bold branding.. which will be on the final 9650 release.

As far as the battery, yep same battery, same housing.. battery is to be expected as the 9000 and the 9700 use the same battery. RIM likes their batteries and keeps using them.

As far as battery life... I haven't gotten that far. As we all know.. OS releases have a major impact on the battery life...
    Last edited by KSW1; 04-16-10 at 06:55 AM.
    04-15-10 07:49 PM
    Pictures of the phone in hand or it didn't happen. Possibly with a note in hand or typed on the screen showing they are a reply to my comment.
    04-15-10 11:59 PM
    lol ^^ why does everyone hate the little ball? i like it, i didn't like the pad on my samsung moment, it was neat, but just didn't cut it for me
    04-16-10 12:04 AM
    Pictures of the phone in hand or it didn't happen. Possibly with a note in hand or typed on the screen showing they are a reply to my comment.
    Are you this rude in person, or just in venues where anonymity reigns?

What could the OP possibly have to gain by trying to impress you? 10 minutes of fame on a forum?

Get over yourself.

04-16-10 12:16 AM
    From a personal standpoint, I'm a bit disappointed with what the 9650 has to offer. I realize that the 9630 was plagued with the dreaded trackball problems, but if RIM wanted to truly bring the BOLD series to the CDMA community, make it "BOLD-ish", give the 9650 a better keyboard and display and make it a part of the 97X0 family.

I say make it part of the 97X0 family because if you take a look at the storm, the 9520 is a GSM device available for international carriers, 9530 is for regional carrier (Verizon); 9520 (again for International) & 9550 (for Verizon). The 96x0 line should be discontinued in favor of continuing the 97X0 family.

but it's personal thought...
    04-16-10 12:18 AM
    Happy? Okay now that's settled...
    04-16-10 12:22 AM
    thank you very much for these photos and information i was waiting for the tour2/bold and i gave in and bought a tour to replace my old 8330. maybe in fall if it is actually released i'll buy one
    04-16-10 06:18 AM
    Happy? Okay now that's settled...
    Man , that is quite a collection of blackberries in that last picture !
    04-16-10 06:37 AM
    Think I'll just keep my tour until my contract is up and will see what is available then. If it isn't even as fast as the fastest bb out there no reason to get it just for trackpad and wifi.

Other than that it's just another device the same as the rest of them. Maybe next year they will have something better.
    04-16-10 06:52 AM
    Man , that is quite a collection of blackberries in that last picture !
    lol, needless to say... I'm kinda a blackberry addict. There's an 8520... floating around on that desk too. And the picture was taken with my other 9700 :P
    04-16-10 06:52 AM
    the new Bold 9650's have a Bold logo on the back a long with a new battery door cover were told that we havnt seen pics of yet the the public will get when the Bold comes out.

this is the final design so far on the back without the new battery cover
    04-16-10 07:14 AM
    Don't you feel like a moron?
    04-16-10 08:44 AM
    Both my 9630 and the 9650 are completely stock with no extra apps. Same contacts... Now from what I can tell the 9650 is cruising right along a lot better then the 9630. But being a TMO and Sprint customer I have 2 9700's on me at all time... the 9650 is not as powerful as the 9700. I confirmed this with something as simple as a theme. I am a theme developer so I installed my Sovereign 16 icons hidden sliding dock and the 9650 did lag on the scroll and didn't seem to like the theme. It was usable but nothing like the 9700...

The camera may be the OS that's installed not hardware, but there is a difference, it focuses a lot quicker... and seems to take cleaner pictures.

OS .412 is what's installed on these 9650's.

These are for sure test devices and not final releases... so there is no bold branding.. which will be on the final 9650 release.

As far as the battery, yep same battery, same housing.. battery is to be expected as the 9000 and the 9700 use the same battery. RIM likes their batteries and keeps using them.

As far as battery life... I haven't gotten that far. As we all know.. OS releases have a major impact on the battery life...
    the new Bold 9650's have a Bold logo on the back a long with a new battery door cover were told that we havnt seen pics of yet the the public will get when the Bold comes out.

this is the final design so far on the back without the new battery cover
    I'm confused as to what you're getting at? I specifically stated the exact same thing...
    04-16-10 09:18 AM
    I love my Tour it does everything I need it to do but I've been leaning more to the new Android phones. If the tour2 doesn't brings something good to the table I might say bye to BBs.
    04-16-10 09:53 AM
    Please let us know how the boot time is on these devices . I want to throw my 9630 out the window everytime it boots .. sooo slooow..
    04-16-10 09:55 AM
    I love my Tour it does everything I need it to do but I've been leaning more to the new Android phones. If the tour2 doesn't brings something good to the table I might say bye to BBs.
    Have you had an android device in hand? In my opinion... an android device is a toy.. a blackberry is a tool. I'd hate to see anyone switch and leave their trusty blackberry in the gutter. Although I can feel your pain with CDMA blackberries... they are not impressive. Just switch carriers.. a 9700 will keep a smile on your face.
    04-16-10 09:56 AM
    Hey, thanks for the pictures and information.

I myself am still debating on whether to upgrade to the Tour 2/Bold when it comes out, but nice to hear it has 2GB of Internal Memory.

I also heard it will have OpenGL capabilities, and be able to run 3D games like the Storm 2..if so, then I might be more inclined to upgrade come August.
    04-16-10 10:06 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD