Convenience is what it boils down to - having the ability to get a phone number while on the move....
    ...Of the people I work with that have Droids that feature is used on the phone all the time.
    ...It's fast, simple to use and there isn't a charge associated with it.

That comment leads me to believe you might work for RIM in it's R&D???
    ...It's exactly THAT kind of reasoning that's placed RIM where it is in the market today.

That's it. That's exactly why RIM is where they are. get your feelings hurt much? Convenience ey? To each his own. I still think its pointless. and a bit silly looking.
    Last edited by JasonBourne; 07-24-11 at 06:12 PM.
    07-24-11 06:09 PM
    Shake, I was wondering about the plastic strip/bar that contains the Send, menu, trackpad, return and close icons ... it is now in one plastic strip now isn't it? (compared to the 9700/9780 which has it in 3 pieces) How does that feel, do you think there will be be a possible wear or cracking problem ?

Thanks
    07-24-11 06:18 PM
    Shake, I was wondering about the plastic strip/bar that contains the Send, menu, trackpad, return and close icons ... it is now in one plastic strip now isn't it? (compared to the 9700/9780 which has it in 3 pieces) How does that feel, do you think there will be be a possible wear or cracking problem ?

Thanks
    It is one plastic strip. Each of the 4 keys click in a little so the plastic has to have a little give to allow that to work correctly, obviously. Unless you have the hands of a gorilla, drop it on something sharp that could cause that type of break, or intentionally are trying to crack it, I can't see that happening easily.
    Yuongn likes this.
    07-24-11 06:23 PM
    After reading the first few pages of this thread you have made my mind up for me.

I will stay loyal to RIM and get the 9900 over the iPhone 5 later this year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 06:32 PM
    Yeah, I'm starting to get the 'time to upgrade' feeling myself too.

Thanks Shake for doing this. You try any html5/javascript tests? just to compare with android/ip4.
    Just Me likes this.
    07-24-11 06:40 PM
    It is one plastic strip. Each of the 4 keys click in a little so the plastic has to have a little give to allow that to work correctly, obviously. Unless you have the hands of a gorilla, drop it on something sharp that could cause that type of break, or intentionally are trying to crack it, I can't see that happening easily.
    lol, thanks Shake ! Nice to know and I guess with the touch screen being used it would take some of the possible wear and tear off the plastic strip.
    07-24-11 06:43 PM
    That's it. That's exactly why RIM is where they are. get your feelings hurt much? Convenience ey? To each his own. I still think its pointless. and a bit silly looking.
    Agree. I don't use it and have never seen anyone use it on their phones.
    anon(52425) likes this.
    07-24-11 06:55 PM
    Thanks for the great info.
    07-24-11 07:00 PM
    Convenience is what it boils down to - having the ability to get a phone number while on the move....
    ...Of the people I work with that have Droids that feature is used on the phone all the time.
    ...It's fast, simple to use and there isn't a charge associated with it.

That comment leads me to believe you might work for RIM in it's R&D???
    ...It's exactly THAT kind of reasoning that's placed RIM where it is in the market today.
    Google Search app for blackberry has had that for a long time now if this is what one wants. I played with it a few times but when you have a phisical qwerty you don't need it.
    Edit- even google maps for blackberry has it, still never use it.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-24-11 at 07:17 PM.
    07-24-11 07:06 PM
    Yes, that's why - exactly.

An industry juggernaut simply does not mutate from that position to one of near irrelevance....
    ...In the course of a year - it takes repeated effort or the lack thereof to evolve in this way.
    ...Rim put much effort into NO EFFORT.

As a Blackberry user for years and a fan of Blackberry I'm doing my part to help sound the alarm....
    ...A company greasing it's head & neck up with Astroglide and pounding it into the sand may generate laughs.
    ...It however provides nothing in the area of self-preservation.

Generally not one to get my feeling hurt - it is interesting to note when I've struck a nerve.....
    ...Evidently I have.
    nycspaces. likes this.
    07-24-11 07:13 PM
    Google Search app for blackberry has had that for a long time now if this is what one wants. I played with it a few times but when you have a phisical qwerty you don't need it.

I've tried it - it lacked the accuracy demonstrated on the Droids I've set up....
    ...Thanks for the pointer however.

Forgive me, I'm just venting frustration that my favorite "smartphone" has been turning itself into an oxymoron...
    ...Compared to the platforms which are it's competition.
    ...If that can even be said at this time.

I also realize I'm overly sensitive to comments which reduce the popular functions on the current popular phones....
    ...To "stuff no one really needs" & "who would want to do that".

Evidently the majority of people want the ability to do those things....
    ...And other things such as video chat / face-time - what-have-ya.

For a company that's literally getting it's clock cleaned by other devices....
    ...Which provide options Blackberry users find odd or alien.
    ...Absolutely shows the state ( the soup ) we find ourselves in.
    ....i.e. an increasing SHARE of a decreasing market.

All that aside I want to thank Shake for starting this thread and giving us mortals a peek into some of the things this new berry is able to do. I will for sure get one myself when they offer them via my carrier.

I will just keep praying RIM keeps with the program with their DEV.
    Last edited by pythons; 07-24-11 at 07:44 PM.
    07-24-11 07:32 PM
    9 and it requires a microscope. The actual default is set to 16.
    First thing I will be doing (when there is a compatible version) is installing Opera Mini. The default "large" font size on OM makes every site easily readable. It always mistified me why the defaults on BB browsers are those horribly tiny fonts. On OS 5 I set the font to 14 which is like the largest size. And I default everything to load using column view. Then on OS 6 did away with CV. I too was hoping in OS 7 there'd be a remedy.

07-24-11 07:54 PM
    It's the weekend. I was busy.
    Wow! He has a life, who would have thunk.
    07-24-11 08:36 PM
    I believe RIM is going to make a nice impression with this phone, the 9800 really really disappointed the carriers and sales just like the playbook. I believe RIM has told carriers that they would like to do a global launch of the 9900, Most dates that we have seen is toward mid Aug. I have been using the 9800 on Tmobile Edge and it sucks so bad I cant wait for the 9900.
    07-24-11 09:46 PM
    Wow! He has a life, who would have thunk.
    He was getting some pretty ***** numbers with his sex *** new phone
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 07-25-11 at 04:26 PM. Reason: language
    07-24-11 10:06 PM
    Thanks for answering those questions Shake!
    ...That was mighty fine of ya.

It would not be honest of me if I didn't say I'm a little put off that it doesn't have the voice command search.....
    ...That automatically opens the browser and goes to the website however.
    ...Those are the type of over-sights RIM needs to cease making.
    ...That is IF they plan on stopping the blood loss of departing customers.

As I'm a huge fan of the way BB processes email I'm certain I will be getting the device once Spint gets it....
    ...Unfortunately for RIM - it appears I am a dying breed.
    ...There frankly isn't all that many of us RIM fans left.

And RIM has been WAY to slow to address their over-sights.
    I'm sorry.. I just CANNOT get over how strange you type. What is up with all the periods..........................................? I mean jeeze bro,

<UL><OL></OL></UL>

[;
    07-25-11 12:47 AM
    Yeah, I'm starting to get the 'time to upgrade' feeling myself too.

Thanks Shake for doing this. You try any html5/javascript tests? just to compare with android/ip4.
    +1! +1! +1!

Yeah Shake.. I just updated a form for a website I'm working on to include a lot of HTML5. I am extremely curious as to how HTML5 renders on the Bold 9900. From what I'v seen/heard, the iPhone 4 handles HTML5 pretty damn well, would you be able to run the test on iPhone 4 and the bold and give the two ratings please please please please please? [:

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Thanks so much man! (and I add yet again, HTML5 didn't even cross my mind until I saw this post, and being a web designer, HTML5 is a very important thing I would like my phone to score well with.. This is the best thread ever )

*My Bold 9650 gets an HTML5 rating of 269 by the way, just for a comparison*
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-25-11 at 01:00 AM.
    07-25-11 12:56 AM
    I've tried it - it lacked the accuracy demonstrated on the Droids I've set up....
    ...Thanks for the pointer however.

Forgive me, I'm just venting frustration that my favorite "smartphone" has been turning itself into an oxymoron...
    ...Compared to the platforms which are it's competition.
    ...If that can even be said at this time.

I also realize I'm overly sensitive to comments which reduce the popular functions on the current popular phones....
    ...To "stuff no one really needs" & "who would want to do that".

Evidently the majority of people want the ability to do those things....
    ...And other things such as video chat / face-time - what-have-ya.

For a company that's literally getting it's clock cleaned by other devices....
    ...Which provide options Blackberry users find odd or alien.
    ...Absolutely shows the state ( the soup ) we find ourselves in.
    ....i.e. an increasing SHARE of a decreasing market.

All that aside I want to thank Shake for starting this thread and giving us mortals a peek into some of the things this new berry is able to do. I will for sure get one myself when they offer them via my carrier.

I will just keep praying RIM keeps with the program with their DEV.
    Wow, ranting much?

07-25-11 02:32 AM
    I told you Mr. Troll would post...you can all thank me now for getting the J O B done...

Although I do find a few things strange...he only posts ONE tiny photo of the phone out of 19 pages of drama? Also the username on the paper is not the same username that started this thread...just sayin...be fools if you wanna b lol.

TROLL SPRAY BABY!!!
    You have MAJOR problems.. You are adding ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to this thread.. Please leave, or will a Forum Mod please like ban this guy from the 9900/9930 section or something? Jesus..

I mean if you don't believe this guy THAT d@mn bad then how about you use Google to your advantage to do some CSI sh*t because you are obviously SO smart.. Guess what Google has on Google images? OH WOW REALLY? YOU CAN SEARCH GOOGLE IMAGES USING A PICTURE?!?! Wait a minute, what does that do? Oh wow! It really searches the entire internet for any other website that has the same image or anything closely resembling it? That's incredible that Google can do that now.. But I don't believe you!

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi...w=1920&bih=982

OH WOW FLIP! What are the chances that the picture he uploaded of the phone is actually the ONLY one resembling it on the internet? Thanks Flip! You are a genius when it comes to figuring out if people are trolls or not!

I mean seriously kid.. Add something beneficial to the conversation or just don't say anything at all.. You are just making yourself look like an idi0t and YOU are actually the one TROLLING this thread.. NOT the OP..

PS. I had to temporarily upload his image to imageshack to get a direct URL to it as the URL from CrackBerry does not work because you have to be logged in to see it, so the one match of the image on imageshack was me, therefore making his image the only genuine one on the internet.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-25-11 at 06:28 AM.
    MsBrittz1016 likes this.
    07-25-11 05:39 AM
    Wow, ranting much?

He just really loves speech to text is all.
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    07-25-11 09:12 AM
    No Mobile HotSpot. Not good.
    Your device is a "final" model or you think in the last OS update or something like that (before official releasing) they will include the Hotspot?

I saw you said that maybe is a carrier matter (as if they can get profit or not from it) but I don't think so, as Apple OS and Android got it right now with the same carriers and they accept it.

Thanks for the great job for this insight Shake!
    07-25-11 09:42 AM
    Your device is a "final" model or you think in the last OS update or something like that (before official releasing) they will include the Hotspot?

I saw you said that maybe is a carrier matter (as if they can get profit or not from it) but I don't think so, as Apple OS and Android got it right now with the same carriers and they accept it.

Thanks for the great job for this insight Shake!

I still think it will be carrier dependent. And I'm sure that they absolutely will try to get profit from it (AT&T def. will charge).

Remember that when the iPhone 4 first came out, AT&T didn't include the option for hotspot even if you wanted it. Only when Verizon decided to release the iPhone 4 and announced that they would have hotspot out of the box did AT&T decide to keep up.

I think it's very possible that we'll see this phone without the option for hotspot on some carriers at first and that it could come via update later -

although if there's any carrier out there that does have it first, i'm sure we'll figure out a way to get it on all of our 99xx phones with or without carrier approval hopefully!
    07-25-11 10:58 AM
    I'm from Spain, and here we haven't had any problem with the iPhone4 hotspot, it has allways been as a feature out of the box.

On the other hand, they blocked the Blackberries in order that we couldn't use them as a tethered modem (even with the Desktop Manager!).

Hope they'll make the same with the Blackberry Hotspot, cause it is a feature i'm waiting for in the new BBs!!!

although if there's any carrier out there that does have it first, i'm sure we'll figure out a way to get it on all of our 99xx phones with or without carrier approval hopefully!
    I think so...
    07-25-11 11:32 AM
    I use the voice search function on Google Maps all the time - very handy if you are looking for something while driving. Just say it instead of the dreaded "texting while driving." I have no other use for it, but I really like that one.
    07-25-11 11:59 AM
    To Shake , 2 more questions:
    1- Its SW KB , is it multilingual ?
    2- We read in some old reviews that it does not have WiFi , is that true ?

Thank you
    Last edited by m.seif; 07-25-11 at 02:07 PM.
    07-25-11 01:16 PM
292 ... 9101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD