Hello All,

New to Crackberry.com - long time blackberry user. I have had google maps on my device since I had a BB 7100g and have always really liked it. With the addition of App world I have seen that many apps that work with GPS enabled BOLD (my current phone) work with BBerry Maps only.

What is the major difference and does anyone suggest BB over Google?

Do either have the option of setting the traveling direction at the top? This may sound trivial but I use my bold as a GPS many times and have to turn the phone upside down when driving south, or on its side when traveling east or west.

Thanks in advance
    05-14-09 05:57 PM
    I notice that your carrier is AT&T. Just so you know ahead of time, if you somehow are able to get BB Maps on your phone it will be gone whenever you re-send service books or do a battery pull. Seems RIM and AT&T are behind that. GoogleMaps will work fine though.
    05-14-09 06:00 PM
    Google Maps are higher resolution and generally more detailed than BBMaps'. BBMaps has a toggle-able dashboard that shows direction of travel, speed, and number of satellites tracked. And BBMaps gives you the choice of direction of travel up or north up. That's the feature you want, that Google Maps as of ver 3.0.2 does not have. But as 29 noted, using BBMaps on AT&T is problematic. AT&T prefers you to subscribe to their for-fee app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 06:11 PM
    i love google maps. I used bb maps for my pearl with tmobile and now google maps with my bold, and google blows it out
    05-14-09 06:15 PM
    BB maps = waste of space
    05-14-09 06:21 PM
    i always remove the bb maps app whenever i get a new bb..

i think it is not as efficient as google maps and also my gps integrates well with the google maps
    05-14-09 08:50 PM
    Google Maps are higher resolution and generally more detailed than BBMaps'. BBMaps has a toggle-able dashboard that shows direction of travel, speed, and number of satellites tracked. And BBMaps gives you the choice of direction of travel up or north up. That's the feature you want, that Google Maps as of ver 3.0.2 does not have. But as 29 noted, using BBMaps on AT&T is problematic. AT&T prefers you to subscribe to their for-fee app.

since when has at&t's nav app ever been for free? maybe I'm missing something here
    AT&T - Navigator features GPS, maps and driving directions to go
    it's got a 30 day trial, but I wouldn't consider it a free app.
    05-14-09 11:14 PM
    since when has at&t's nav app ever been for free? maybe I'm missing something here
    AT&T - Navigator features GPS, maps and driving directions to go
    it's got a 30 day trial, but I wouldn't consider it a free app.
    For FEE, not for FREE. Your mind added an "R" in there, don't worry, mine did too at first
    05-14-09 11:26 PM
    I would just like to add that if you open the "Get AT&T Navigator" in order to delete it they will initiate the trial, and 30 days from now they will start billing you. I've done it 3 seperate times where I've clicked on the icon in attempts to delete it, declined the service agreement, and they started the service anyway. At&T are a bunch of weasily little roaches that will do anything to cornhole you into another monthly fee. The first time this happened I actually had to cancel my contract and pay the cancellation fee before thay agreed to stop the service and give me my money back.

05-15-09 08:16 AM
    I notice that your carrier is AT&T. Just so you know ahead of time, if you somehow are able to get BB Maps on your phone it will be gone whenever you re-send service books or do a battery pull. Seems RIM and AT&T are behind that. GoogleMaps will work fine though.
    That's actually not true. Direct access to it via its icon disappears, but it still is there no matter how many times service books are resent or battery pulls are done, and the applications that use it -- e.g., WeatherBug, WHERE, etc. -- continue to use it. I just used it looking at the radar in WeatherBug.
    05-15-09 08:38 AM
    That's actually not true. Direct access to it via its icon disappears, but it still is there no matter how many times service books are resent or battery pulls are done, and the applications that use it -- e.g., WeatherBug, WHERE, etc. -- continue to use it. I just used it looking at the radar in WeatherBug.
    Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware that was possible.
    05-15-09 08:59 AM
    It's true that the application is still installed on the phone, however there is no way of opening it once the icon goes away.

FYI, WeatherBug no longer needs to use BB Maps.
    05-15-09 01:17 PM
    I personaliy prefer google maps, it runs a lot faster and smoother.

05-15-09 02:08 PM
    I am able to load BBMaps through Poynt, but I can only use the search feature. I don't know if the features are limited through Poynt or I just can't figure it out. lol
    05-15-09 02:35 PM
    You can also use Carfinder. Once you click on Set or Go Position, the next screen will allow you to choose BB Maps.
    05-18-09 03:14 PM
    It's true that the application is still installed on the phone, however there is no way of opening it once the icon goes away.

FYI, WeatherBug no longer needs to use BB Maps.
    Hey forever. BBMaps can always be opened through BBMessenger. You can set yourself up as a contact in BBMessenger, do a Send My Location to yourself, open the message, highlight and open the map and you're in business. Works perfectly.

05-18-09 03:55 PM
    You can also access it using SignalLoc. Lock on a tower, Menu, Show Cell Site on Map (set bbmaps as default in options) and BBMaps opens.

05-18-09 03:57 PM
    I have tried to use both with limited success. When I need a GPS, I want to be able to set it in the holder and have the cursor always point up while the map moves beneath it. (I can't think of anytime I would want to have "north up".) BB Maps lets me do this but as I navigate, the cursor eventually moves off the page and I have to manually scroll the map. I liked the graphics on Google much better as well as the satellite view but it really isn't meant for navigation imo. I just can't see giving Verizon $10/mo. for VZ Navigator. That is pretty expensive. It must be a pretty powerful GPS for that sum.
    05-25-09 07:57 PM
    I've never used google maps, can someone send me a link for the app?

05-25-09 08:02 PM
    I've never used google maps, can someone send me a link for the app?

From your BB browser: http://m.google.com/maps?hl=en&dc=gorganic

05-25-09 08:14 PM
    I have tried to use both with limited success. When I need a GPS, I want to be able to set it in the holder and have the cursor always point up while the map moves beneath it. (I can't think of anytime I would want to have "north up".) BB Maps lets me do this but as I navigate, the cursor eventually moves off the page and I have to manually scroll the map. I liked the graphics on Google much better as well as the satellite view but it really isn't meant for navigation imo. I just can't see giving Verizon $10/mo. for VZ Navigator. That is pretty expensive. It must be a pretty powerful GPS for that sum.
    I use BBMaps in the manner you describe, but my maps continually update automatically. It should not be necessary for you to manually scroll the map. If you have been manually moving the map, press the esc button to return control of the map to the GPS. In addition to direction of travel up, BBMaps also gives you speed, direction of travel, and number of satellites tracked, none of which you get from the undeniably prettier Google Maps. As for the price of VZNav, it's based on the market. Garmin Mobile has the same monthly price.
    05-25-09 08:52 PM
    By "esc" you mean the "return" button yes? Or do you mean "show keyboard" and then select something that is equivalent to esc. I also had someone tell me to press "0". Not sure what they mean.
    Its a Storm thing maybe.
    05-26-09 07:01 AM
    By ESC, I mean the ccw arrow immediately to the right of the trackball on a classic BlackBerry. I don't know how you perform that function on a Storm, but there has to be a way. Pressing '0' shows your location on Google Maps.

05-26-09 07:20 AM
    Sorry, somehow I got into the wrong forum.
    05-26-09 08:26 AM
    Sorry, somehow I got into the wrong forum.
    You couldn't help it, we are all so smart and good looking in here.
    05-26-09 08:29 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD