Having issues here. Google Maps puts me within 5000 meters of my location, while my friend's old curve (without a GPS chip) puts him within 800 feet. We're sitting right next to each other.

What gives? Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks!!
    07-23-09 02:25 PM
    If it is giving that big an area then I would guess the gps is not enabled or for some reason google maps doesn't have permission to use it.

Otherwise, are you both on AT&T? If not them they might have closer towers to do the triangulation from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 02:30 PM
    Is your GPS on? Is location aiding on? Are you outside?
    07-23-09 02:32 PM
    Exit Google maps, go outside, pull up google maps and try again.
    07-23-09 02:36 PM
    I have GPS and location aiding on and I allowed both.

We're both on AT&T and indoors. I assumed triangulation would be used since there probably isn't a GPS signal inside. His works, mine doesn't. Can't figure out why.....
    07-23-09 02:38 PM
    Exit Google maps, go outside, pull up google maps and try again.
    If I have cell service, but not GPS (indoors), shouldn't Google Maps still work using triangulation? I am confused because my friend doesn't have a GPS chip and Google Maps pulls ups his location real quick and accurate.
    07-23-09 02:39 PM
    If I have cell service, but not GPS (indoors), shouldn't Google Maps still work using triangulation? I am confused because my friend doesn't have a GPS chip and Google Maps pulls ups his location real quick and accurate.
    Oh, nevermind, actually I think you are more versed in this than I am.
    I'm not aware of all that kinda stuff, but I'm sure someone else can help you out. Good luck!
    07-23-09 02:44 PM
    You would think so. This is pure speculation, but my guess is that since it doesn't rely on cell towers for a fix, it only uses them to get close. The device that relies solely on triangulation could be more accurate when using the towers alone. I always thought the GPS aiding helped in getting a faster fix.
    07-23-09 03:00 PM
    Have you tried hitting the 0 key once it comes up with your location. I find that it locates me and then if I hit zero it gets closer and closer. I generally start at 3000m and end up at 3m. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 03:03 PM
    Works amazing with a GPS signal, however triangulation does not seem to be working well.
    07-23-09 03:55 PM
    I just used Google Maps for the first time since updating my OS and I find that it is not able to use triangulation/cell tower to get an estimate of where I am. GPS works fine when I'm outside or near a window but it is completely unable to find me without it.

Also I noticed that on the new Google Mobile App, at the bottom where it has the new thing that shows your location, it is stuck at "Updating Location."

I'm wondering if this is a config problem with my phone since upgrading or if there is some temporary service issue.

Anyone else?
    08-03-09 03:09 PM

We're both on AT&T and indoors. I assumed triangulation would be used since there probably isn't a GPS signal inside. His works, mine doesn't. Can't figure out why.....

Did you do a REFRESH????????
    08-03-09 03:22 PM

Bold likes to be outside fo GPS
    08-03-09 06:02 PM
    Having issues here. Google Maps puts me within 5000 meters of my location, while my friend's old curve (without a GPS chip) puts him within 800 feet. We're sitting right next to each other.

What gives? Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks!!
    Give it a while, your GPS needs to first warm up, and see if it can smell out at least three sats in orbit, your 5K is your Cell based locator, but because you have a GPS, its gimpy for some odd reason, O.o we tested a Pearl for Cell Location and that was odd for results LOL.

Both use Triangulation, though Cell Location uses 3, while the GPS can use sets of 3. 3, 6, 9.
    If SIGNAL for your GPS in your house is poor, it'll either take forever, or not at all. I can get located though sitting here, at my computer
    08-03-09 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD