I've read thousands of posts on these forums in the last 6 months, and cannot recall anyone making a comment about Google Maps draining free memory.

I can have 40MB free after a battery pull, but if I leave GM open for a while, I could be down to 30MB very quickly. I think many people on the forums who are experiencing memory draining may not be realizing that if you don't shut down GM COMPLETELY, you will experience a very quick memory drain...and...poorer battery life.

And if you use Google Latitude, you must choose "Exit and suspend sharing" in order to completely shut it down.

If anyone from the Google team is reading this, please, please, have an option where the chached maps can be stored on the memory card, and once I'm at it, for gods sake, don't always reload the images from the internet if they are cached anyway somewhere on the phone.

So what do all you guys have to say about this? Do you also experience memory drain when using GM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 01:49 PM
    I've read thousands of posts on these forums in the last 6 months, and cannot recall anyone making a comment about Google Maps draining free memory.

I can have 40MB free after a battery pull, but if I leave GM open for a while, I could be down to 30MB very quickly. I think many people on the forums who are experiencing memory draining may not be realizing that if you don't shut down GM COMPLETELY, you will experience a very quick memory drain...and...poorer battery life.

And if you use Google Latitude, you must choose "Exit and suspend sharing" in order to completely shut it down.

If anyone from the Google team is reading this, please, please, have an option where the chached maps can be stored on the memory card, and once I'm at it, for gods sake, don't always reload the images from the internet if they are cached anyway somewhere on the phone.

So what do all you guys have to say about this? Do you also experience memory drain when using GM?

No issues at all, and I leave Latitude running. And yes, it's data intensive and will use some memory. It's also very good about releasing it once it's shut down.
    07-17-09 01:59 PM
    My thoughts are, isn't this expected? As soon as an app is running or transmitting data, you are going to have a bit of memory loss. Google Maps is a fairly complex application, so I could see a large (ten does seem a bit high) memory loss. I suppose this goes for all applications.

Like you said, once you are done, close the app completely and you should be fine.
    07-17-09 02:12 PM
    This is so interesting. By me it keeps sucking up available ram until it's down to 0 and when I shut it down it does not help much.

07-20-09 01:10 AM
    Hmm, what else do you have on your phone? What OS? Any themes? If you have themes, maybe try one day with the stock themes and see. Probably not the issues, but it could be part of it.
    07-20-09 06:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD