Ladies and Gents,

This is my farewell to the loyal BB friends. Over the past 6 months I have had nothing but trouble out of my 9700. ATT has been absolutely no help, but you guys have.

Long story short, my phone finally gave up on me. It started with JVM error 517. I began the procedure of wiping the OS (this has been a weekly practice for about 3 months) and could not connect to the device. After about 10 resets it stopped showing the code and began to reboot over and over. I gave up and told myself that I would bite the bullet and go to an ATT repair center. The people there told me it was a software issue (this I knew), but they couldn't do anything for me. This made me very unhappy. Then they directed me to a salesman who began to say I would be better off upgrading to another phone. NO!!!!

I killed the account and walked across the street to Sprint. Now if I still lived in the south I would have re-thought this, but I actually get better service/price here with Sprint vs. ATT. Oh, and Sprint gave me $113.00 dollars for my BB. Ahh...

This forum has helped me a lot, and I would like to thank all of you for the useful tips! I have an HTC Evo now and I am more than happy with the change! The phone seems to be much "smarter" than my ex-9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 09:35 AM
    Later dude... enjoy the Evo.
    07-02-10 09:46 AM
    Thats cool, the evo looks sick.
    07-02-10 09:51 AM
    Why didn't you just get the 9700 replaced. When you buy the phone you have 1 year warranty. Enjoy your EVO.
    07-02-10 01:03 PM
    Sucks your phone has given you trouble
    Your new phone is a great new toy for sure!
    07-02-10 01:06 PM
    enjoy the evo let us know how the 4g service is, i haven't ran into anyone that has sprint to ask...
    07-02-10 01:19 PM
    Bummers about your 9700. Hope everything works out for you.
    07-02-10 01:31 PM
    You're welcome ..Enjoy!! Sprint has awesome pricing plans!!
    07-02-10 01:38 PM
    enjoy the evo let us know how the 4g service is, i haven't ran into anyone that has sprint to ask...
    Lolol subliminal?
    07-02-10 01:44 PM
    The device behaviour described and the JVM Err 517 points to :
    517 Filesystem corrupt An inconsistency has been detected in the JVM persistent object store.
    A couple of weeks ago my wife's 8900 started with JVM Err 545
    545 VM_INCOMPATIBLE_FILESYS: an incompatible or corrupt filesystem was found The VM has detected an incompatible or corrupt filesystem. The filesystem should be extracted immediately when this error is detected.
    After a wipe, re-install and a reboot I saw 517 as well as occasionally the continuous reboot; i.e. I tried 5 times to bring it back to life.

The 13 month old device was taken into T-Mobile whom replaced it with a brand new device 4 days later after their techies had tried to resurrect it.

Take your 9700 to another shop or send it in for repair as it is a hardware issue.
    07-02-10 01:52 PM
    Take your 9700 to another shop or send it in for repair as it is a hardware issue.
    Reading comprehension is just not your thing.
    07-02-10 02:17 PM
    Reading comprehension is just not your thing.

Well, $113 for a "faulty" device that was under warranty is not a good deal; as he would have got a LOT more for a new device.
    07-02-10 02:23 PM
    Lolol subliminal?
    lol no not really i just want to know how sprint service is now.. also wanted to know how the 4g coverage is since it's new...
    07-02-10 04:23 PM
    Ladies and Gents,

This is my farewell to the loyal BB friends. Over the past 6 months I have had nothing but trouble out of my 9700. ATT has been absolutely no help, but you guys have.

Long story short, my phone finally gave up on me. It started with JVM error 517. I began the procedure of wiping the OS (this has been a weekly practice for about 3 months) and could not connect to the device. After about 10 resets it stopped showing the code and began to reboot over and over. I gave up and told myself that I would bite the bullet and go to an ATT repair center. The people there told me it was a software issue (this I knew), but they couldn't do anything for me. This made me very unhappy. Then they directed me to a salesman who began to say I would be better off upgrading to another phone. NO!!!!

I killed the account and walked across the street to Sprint. Now if I still lived in the south I would have re-thought this, but I actually get better service/price here with Sprint vs. ATT. Oh, and Sprint gave me $113.00 dollars for my BB. Ahh...

This forum has helped me a lot, and I would like to thank all of you for the useful tips! I have an HTC Evo now and I am more than happy with the change! The phone seems to be much "smarter" than my ex-9700.

Not that i really care BUT why didn't you just do a warranty exchange over the phone after they gave you the run around?? That's one positive thing i can say about AT&T is that they're not picky about warranty exchanges. I've must of switched out my old Curve 5+ times because of that damn 'JVM error 517' with no trouble - as long as the device doesn't have any noticeably bad physical or water damage they don't really care...
    Last edited by lucky45; 07-02-10 at 06:46 PM.
    07-02-10 06:38 PM
    I don't know how anyone can "talk" on an EVO....must be small man syndrome or something.

Reminds me of the days of the boomboxes that people carried on their shoulders blasting them or 4 foot men getting out of a Monster truck, lol!

Nice looking device, but is practically a tablet....

07-03-10 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD