So the first one I gave the story already of how blackberry technicians ended up saying the radio was bad in the phone after the Verizon techs couldn't figure it out and I went through hours of trouble shooting.
    The second phone came, and swapped it out. All was good until a couple nights ago overnight during the hurricane. I was trying to send a text and make a couple phone calls while I was stuck at work, and I noticed it started lagging out really bad. It was as if there was no memory and something was running in the background eating it all up using the processor. I checked and there was nothing running, memory was plenty. I couldn't figure it out. I did a reboot, and then it was fine for a few minutes. Then it started doing it again. It became so bad, I did another reboot. On the second reboot, on the blackberry reboot loading screen, it went almost three-quarters across and then froze there for about ten minutes. When it finally started moving again and finished loading the home screen, I found that it loaded it as if it was a brand new phone out of the box. It deleted everything out of the phone! All my contacts, messages, email settings and accounts, everything was wiped out and deleted as if it was never there. The only thing it left behind was a couple third party apps I downloaded from the app store. But all of the programs, and apps, when I opened them I had to agree to the license agreement and reset up any accounts. I had to resign into blackberry id which replaced the email accounts, but then I wasn't getting the email. I had to resend service books which I guess it wiped out from that, for it to work.
    I'm so frustrated. I called Verizon and told them about all the crap I went through on the phone with the first one, and how I didn't have time for that again (This was on a three hour off from work, where I worked from Saturday morning to Monday morning because of the storm). They hooked back up my iphone which is what I replaced with the blackberry and said to send it back, and they would send another new one on reciept of the blackberry.
    It's the last few hours of the 14th day since I placed the order for the upgrade, and I'm now worried about having another problem when the new one comes. I'm contemplating calling Verizon any minute to tell them when they get it, just keep it as a return, and waiting to see what the new blackberry torch looks like when it comes out, or the iphone 5. I really like the 9930 when it was working, and want to have one with no problems, but this is a lot of BS. I can't believe I went through two with problems already in not even a couple weeks. I know there are many other people that went through several already and there's problems.
    Has anyone had this problem that I just had where it lagged out, and then deleted all of your contacts, messages, and settings?
    08-29-11 08:17 PM
    I had some of the same issues with mine but it ended being third party apps not playing nice with the operating system. I reloaded the OS and all is good. I had to do it a few times until I found out what apps were causing it. One of the apps was google sync and dropbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 09:49 PM
    I had some of the same issues with mine but it ended being third party apps not playing nice with the operating system. I reloaded the OS and all is good. I had to do it a few times until I found out what apps were causing it. One of the apps was google sync and dropbox.

Dropbox was an unfriendly app for me as well on my 9930.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-29-11 10:03 PM
    what a nightmare? 3 bad devices is usually user error sorry but truth...
    drfever likes this.
    08-29-11 10:05 PM
    User error/Bad third party app(s). Period.

08-29-11 11:15 PM
    I'm going on the third one now, two were sent back. The first had a bad radio, couldn't connect to 3G, Verizon tried saying the populated area with excellent coverage I live in might not be so great, but all my other Verizon phones had the best reception you could get. They went through a lot of trouble shooting, and finally transferred me to RIM because they couldn't figure out any other reasons. RIM went through a bunch of stuff and deemed it was a hardware issue (bad radio reciever), and would have to be replaced. Verizon sent a replacement, and that one was fine at first. That may or may not have been a software thing that could have been figured out after hours and hours of trouble shooting, but I was angry with Verizon on the phone and they just said they'll replace it. I actually waited until after 11pm thinking I had until midnight to call Verizon and tell them to keep it, that I would just stick it out with the iphone. The full customer service is closed now and it's gonna be after the 14th day. So, I gathered enough will to make that decision, but now I'll have to call tomorrow and see if it can still be done considering the circumstances, but I'm back on the fence again. I'm perousing through crackberry and videos on youtube looking for things that make me want to just stay with it. Logic tells me that the iphone works everytime, is fast, better this, better that, and has never given me any problems. But there is just something about the blackberry in it's simplicity, and the 9930 in particular being faster and with the new os7, that makes me want it more, plus there are a number of things that I like about it better than the iphone like the keyboard, and everything to do with actually using it for phone and communication functions... If that is the case that there are a few apps, which are in the app store, or crackberry that I might put into the phone, and everything becomes unstable, that is so frustrating. The amount of apps to put in it are very limited as it is, and on top of that some might crash the phone and delete everything? Now I'm just ranting I guess, but I don't know. I guess I'll figure it out by tomorrow... Also, I did install and was using google sync, I had in the the phone and working for several days, so I don't know if that was the culprit, but that sucks if I won't be able to use that as my biggest email account is gmail, and I subscribe to other calenders only that will deliver to my calendar besides my own.
    08-29-11 11:24 PM
    Why use the google sync app if BIS already supports sync for gmail?
    08-29-11 11:28 PM
    Why use the google sync app if BIS already supports sync for gmail?
    Because with the google sync app it puts other calendars you're subscribed to into your calendar, not just your own. I think sync is the only way to sync your contacts with new ones you might add into your google account also. If you're connected to google with BIS and you add contacts to your phone, I don't think they are added to your google contacts, are they?
    08-29-11 11:37 PM
    Because with the google sync app it puts other calendars you're subscribed to into your calendar, not just your own. I think sync is the only way to sync your contacts with new ones you might add into your google account also. If you're connected to google with BIS and you add contacts to your phone, I don't think they are added to your google contacts, are they?
    I'm wondering the same thing... Added two contacts today... still do not see them in Google Contacts.
    08-29-11 11:52 PM
    If its anything like Yahoo, it will take about 4hrs to sync.
    08-30-11 12:42 AM
    Dropbox was an unfriendly app for me as well on my 9930.

And Google Sync is no longer necessary on BB7.

I think this does go to show that we all need to pay special attention to app compatibility when making an OS upgrade like this. I didn't use the migration wizard and installed everything fresh and thus far haven't had any issues *knock on wood*
    08-30-11 12:31 PM
    And Google Sync is no longer necessary on BB7.

I think this does go to show that we all need to pay special attention to app compatibility when making an OS upgrade like this. I didn't use the migration wizard and installed everything fresh and thus far haven't had any issues *knock on wood*

Same here. I didn't want to migrate anything over. I restored all my contacts and such using BlackBerry Protect.

southlander likes this.
    08-30-11 12:39 PM
    Yep, full restores from older OSes are bad news...
    08-30-11 12:57 PM
    I am on my third as well and all are because trackpads are making creaking noises and or they are getting stuck
    08-30-11 12:57 PM
    I'm wondering the same thing... Added two contacts today... still do not see them in Google Contacts.
    The new BIS will sync both your contacts and your calendar, something I was pleasantly surprised about. Also no more email prompt to download the Google plugin for BIS; it just works now. I too had downloaded and installed Google Sync (since it is not in AppWorld there was no warning about compatibility) but once I saw that it wasn't needed anymore I didn't bother configuring it. Then I eventually uninstalled it.

I know people are complaining about DropBox, Amazon, and others not working on BB7 yet but this is normal to some degree. Those of us with Storms had an even worse time back then and I am sure in a month or two the most important apps will be updated to support BB7.

EDIT: To clarify, BIS synced my contacts and calendar from Google I haven't tried it the other way yet.
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 08-30-11 at 02:20 PM.
    08-30-11 01:01 PM
    dropbox is not yet supported for 9930, i asked
    08-30-11 01:52 PM
    I am currently on my 3rd 9900 as well. First one would freeze, they keyboard wouldn't work, and would type "nmnmnmnm" by itself. Second one, the camera lens was displaced, received error msgs when opened camera. Now i'm on my 3rd one, at first i couldn't open my world in the app store and apps wouldn't DL. Now everything is working fine but mind you, its only been a couple of days. This is my 3rd bold in less than a week. I bought the first one last wed.

I've had the first pearl, 9000, 9700, 9800, and have never experienced so many problems with a bb, or any cell phone i ever had for that matter. I tell my friends this is the best worst phone i ever had. if it wasn't for the amazing keypad (i hate typing on touch screens), i'd honestly rather have an iphone. the apps on blackberry are light years behind apple.

i'm very disappointed in BB. they really need to step their game up or they won't be around much longer. I can't believe i'm saying this because i've been a BB lover for over 5 yrs and used always say blackberry for life. with all these issues with the 9900, i'm losing faith in the company.

i really hope this 3rd 9900 will last the test of time and reaffirm my faith in blackberry products.
    08-30-11 02:17 PM
    I'm sure I'll be told I'm trolling but when I got to work this morning there was another Bold Touch to be sent to DOA. That makes 5 out of 7 my store has sold that have come back.

2 - had keyboard failure (multiple keys not working)
    1 - bad speaker (customer couldn't hear callers)
    1 - bad screen (non responsive/random pressing with no screen contact)
    1 - trackpad failure

We have sold 6 Torch 9810 - no returns at all. Some of those are to the customers who returned the Bold and didn't want to try again (can't say I blame them - 2 of the 5 returns are the same customer).

I have to admit that I am steering customers away from the Bold and towards the Torch if they are looking at a BB...
    Last edited by reeneebob; 08-30-11 at 02:59 PM.
    08-30-11 02:57 PM
    going on my 4th 9900. I wish i never bought it! I had nothing but problems with the 9780 and now 9900. sad to say it buy this may be the last bb i ever buy if RIM doesn't get there **** together. 600$ for a device and have to deal with bs quality issues. shame
    08-30-11 04:13 PM
    2nd and maybe 3rd due to misaligned trackpad and mushy menu key. I'm almost inclined not to change it for fear of getting a worse one like the first where the call-end panel had lifted up.
    08-30-11 04:17 PM
    Finally got the third 9930, and turned it on and lo and behold, in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen there is discoloration in the screen. It's as if I am clamping down on the screen. This is frustrating. The phone works, but I can't stop zeroing in on that discoloration in the corner. I can see past it and so the screen is usable, but WTF. I might just have to bring it back and wait for the iphone 5, I can't deal with this anymore. It's ridiculous. And no, it's not a case or anything like that that's causing it. It just came like that out of the box.
    09-02-11 05:49 PM
    Same here. I didn't want to migrate anything over. I restored all my contacts and such using BlackBerry Protect.

Me too. Last thing I wanted on a new OS is to migrate apps/settings. I know from oh.. 20 years of tech work that this is usually asking for problems. I always back up and restore just data.
    09-02-11 05:53 PM
    I'm sure I'll be told I'm trolling but when I got to work this morning there was another Bold Touch to be sent to DOA. That makes 5 out of 7 my store has sold that have come back.
    RIM has never made a device this thin; which undoubtedly is more difficult. I am sure as we speak they are tweaking manufacturing processes based on what they are seeing in the returned devices.
    reeneebob and decypher44 like this.
    09-02-11 05:55 PM
    I have to agree.

Either that or a case of ocd by which the customer blames the device but really doesn't like the way the buttons feel. I used to be like that .. don't care anymore. In a week of my usage everything jiggles on the device anyways.
    decypher44 likes this.
    09-02-11 06:00 PM
    I can't believe some of the bad luck some are having. I know I hated the build quality on my 8530. So much dust would get under there, I was cleaning it out every 3-4 weeks. I became a MASTER at double-sided tape cut-and-apply!

With this Bold, so far, everything has been perfect. I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but this has really been a solid phone.
    09-02-11 06:17 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD