I'm doing a 2 week class in Cuernavaca, and I'm preparing myself to stay connected with my BOLD

So far, I've already unlocked the phone (thank you Cellunlock.net) and I'm going to buy a Telcel SIM card at the airport as soon as I get off the plane.

Here are my q's:

1.) Is there a specific type of TELCEL SIM that I have to buy? Is there a specific type I need to enable voice AND data?
    2.) Will my BBM still work?
    3.) Is there anything else I need?
    03-26-09 12:55 PM
    1) Don't really know

2) Yes, BBM will still work!

3) Just drink some good tequila while you're down there!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 12:59 PM
    random side note: I lived in Cuernavaca for 4 months taking classes down there its an amazing place with such friendly people, you will love it
    03-26-09 01:01 PM
    Answer to #3: Bulletproof vest.

Just make sure you don't get kidnapped.
    03-26-09 01:02 PM
    3) Just drink some good tequila while you're down there!
    I'd recommend XQ Anejo, Lapis Anejo, Don Julio Anejo. All three are great choices.

Now if you're if you're in a local joint, i.e. not a tourist hotel and the marketing hype known as Patron is what you want, 7 Laguas is from the same house.
    03-26-09 01:08 PM
    haha.... Cuernavaca is a couple hundred miles from the Border where the chaos is.
    03-26-09 01:09 PM
    Well since you haven't read alot about the situation read this link and have it handy and yes drink plenty of tequila.

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert
    03-26-09 01:32 PM
    Ouch was just in playa del carmen for a wedding last year and was thinking of traveling to the areas outside of mexico city for a while this year. Hmm may reconsider even tho its seems that its mainly bordeer towns.

03-26-09 02:06 PM
    you'll be fine. cuernavaca is not on the border, not a big tourist destination, etc. Like every city, there are good parts and there are bad parts. Yeah, there are some neighborhoods that you should stay out of for your safety (i'd ask someone at your school or one of the locals, i've since forgot which ones are bad) , but you will not run into any trouble walking down a main street, hanging out in one of the zocalos downtown or walking into a neighborhood restaurant.

While you're there, take a trip to tepoztlan, its about a 45 min bus ride to this mountain city that is beautiful. You can climb part of the mountain to get up to a secluded aztec ruin its pretty cool.
    03-26-09 02:22 PM
    Well since you haven't read alot about the situation read this link and have it handy and yes drink plenty of tequila.

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert
    I've actually done a lot of research already, my cousin has spoken to the consulate, the US Embassy down there and the whole 9 yards...Cuernavaca is as safe as it is here in NY...lol
    03-26-09 03:33 PM
    you'll be fine. cuernavaca is not on the border, not a big tourist destination, etc. Like every city, there are good parts and there are bad parts. Yeah, there are some neighborhoods that you should stay out of for your safety (i'd ask someone at your school or one of the locals, i've since forgot which ones are bad) , but you will not run into any trouble walking down a main street, hanging out in one of the zocalos downtown or walking into a neighborhood restaurant.

While you're there, take a trip to tepoztlan, its about a 45 min bus ride to this mountain city that is beautiful. You can climb part of the mountain to get up to a secluded aztec ruin its pretty cool.
    sounds good! I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the heads up
    03-26-09 03:33 PM
    Back to the original question, when I went to Cancun last year I called up AT&T and turned on the international rate support (whatever they call it ---I told the CSR I was going to Mexico and he knew what to do) and then used my BB normally during my vacation. When I got home I called and turned off the international package and I did not incure any crazy roaming charges during my trip.

03-27-09 08:49 AM
    The answer to question 1
    You should buy the TELCEL SIM there's no specific one, But when you get in your device you should call *264 And then ask to get the blackberry service activated
    Then when it happens you have three options to acquire the service on a prepaid phone
    The first one is for 7 days at a cost of around 10 Dlls
    The second one is for 14 days at a cost of around 20 dlls
    The third one is for 30 Days at a cost of around 35 Dlls
    To do this you Should Send a Message like this

BBI7 if you want the 7 days
    BBI14 If you want 14
    BBI30 if you want the 30 days
    To the Number 5050
    This would be charged from your balance on your phone
    my advice when you get there you should buy a 500 pesos Telcel card and add it tou your phone
    Dialing *333 and selecting the option to English and ther is a promotion if you add 500 pesos to your phone you get 900
    Hope i could be of assistance
    03-27-09 12:03 PM
    I was in Cancun about 2 months ago. When i landed i turned my phone on to see if it would work with my ATT sim, and it did. I didnt have to get a mexico cell company sim card.

You dont have to get TELCEL SIM, Your ATT sim will work!
    03-27-09 12:08 PM
    1.- No, but make sure that it's V.3 or latter for the data plan.
    2.- Yes of course... has nothing to do with the carrier...
    3.- No, you're ready to go... but if you're going for a data plan, I'll recommend the pre-paid 15 day plan. It's unlimited and not so expensive ($25)

And for all of you that think Mexico it's really insecure... you don't have to worry about it... US press is really sneaky and only want to Americans stay in America (and keep the money there, not in Mexican beaches and resorts)
    As long as you behave and stay away from drug dealers and prostitutes... it's all good.

Enjoy Cuernavaca... it's really beautiful!
    03-27-09 12:29 PM
    Thank you everybody for the help!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a little worried because I can't get my internet working on when I thrown in the TMobile SIM card and I don't want any issues down there.

So, its pretty much plug and play with the TELCEL SIM card?
    03-30-09 01:45 PM
    I'm in a similar boat as you. Have a Bold on ATT and I'm going to Mexico for about 10 days. Was doing all the research on the best cost effective way to get calls and was wondering if getting the TelCel SIM cards from the airport is the cheapest. Is it better to jump on the International Date plan from ATT? Its $25 for 20meg or $60 for 50 and I believe it is prorated, so I can just cancell it when I get back to the states.

My phone is unlocked btw.
    04-07-09 04:13 PM
    The answer to question 1
    You should buy the TELCEL SIM there's no specific one, But when you get in your device you should call *264 And then ask to get the blackberry service activated
    Then when it happens you have three options to acquire the service on a prepaid phone
    The first one is for 7 days at a cost of around 10 Dlls
    The second one is for 14 days at a cost of around 20 dlls
    The third one is for 30 Days at a cost of around 35 Dlls
    To do this you Should Send a Message like this

BBI7 if you want the 7 days
    BBI14 If you want 14
    BBI30 if you want the 30 days
    To the Number 5050
    This would be charged from your balance on your phone
    my advice when you get there you should buy a 500 pesos Telcel card and add it tou your phone
    Dialing *333 and selecting the option to English and ther is a promotion if you add 500 pesos to your phone you get 900
    Hope i could be of assistance
    Bumping this thread for some good information. I leave in a couple of hours for Cancun with my wife for 9 days and the original plan was to turn off the phones completely once I heard of what T-Mobile charges for roaming and what not. My wife and I have the unlimited family plan with unlimited everything but the rates to use it in Cancun is still unreal. After some searching I came across this thread and there's some great information. I just had a couple more questions:

1) Is this deal above still active with the extra 400 pesos?
    2) will I need to set up my BIS again to get my Gmail or just load this card and activate the data?
    3) I assume it's unlimited email and internet with this?
    4) How are text messages charged with this?
    5) I will get a new phone number and I assume anyone in the US that texts me will pay $0.20 per or something around there, right?
    6) T-Mobile emailed me the unlock code for my BB 8900 months ago and I never unlocked it. Say I unlock it tomorrow and buy a pre-paid card... any adverse affects to doing this once I return? Any settings changed or anything I should be aware of?

Hopefully someone gets this pretty quickly because I'll be on the road in a few hours and would like to have a game plan so I know what to do before we even arrive. This could make the trip a lot easier/better for us since we've never been outside the country.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    07-04-09 05:53 AM
    This thread might offer more information.
    Good luck on your trip
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/unl...europe-258898/
    07-04-09 07:59 AM
    have a nice trip be safe
    07-04-09 09:23 AM
    Nope, didn't really answer any of my questions.
    This thread might offer more information.
    Good luck on your trip
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/unl...europe-258898/
    07-04-09 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD