Hi,

I've decided to not take an upgrade on a Q10 but keep onto my BB 9900, BIS is simply too important to me. In order to do that and future proof it for the next few years I need to get some issues fixed, can anyone advise if these issues sound like cause for a warranty repair?

• BB periodically crashes, restarts and makes a "popping" noise
    • Battery life really bad, going through new batteries very quick. From reputable retailers not off eBay.
    • Holding phone up to ear, screen stays on and often puts speakerphone on. Have to lock the phone before making a call or after receiving it so it won't go between the speakerphone on or off. I thought it would have a gryoscope to stop this. Perhaps defective?
    • GPS gets "stuck" pretty often. Have to force a refresh in Options which doesn't always resolve.

Now it's not on the latest software, 7.1.0.862 but I've had these issues with ALL the updates I've applied. The speakerphone thing is REALLY annoying, it's not right you need to lock the phone (with button on the top) while making or receiving a call!!!

She hasn't been dropped, water damaged or anything like that.

The purpose of my post is to clarify whether this suggests a faulty handset or these are known issues. I've got 2 months left on my warranty so I could get it exchanged. I hope the new one will do me 2 years.

Thanks and regards,
    08-20-13 06:24 PM
    Hi!
    I'm sorry but with all those problems, you should just upgrade the the Q and be done with all the issues. I had a 9930 and never had any of those issues so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue and you would need a new handset. You really don't know what you are missing without BB!0.

Take the device to your carrier and ask them to work on one issue at a time.
    As for battery, shut off all the open apps your have running. In the 9930 there can be as many as 50 processes running behind the scenes. They all take up memory and battery power. Use an app like What's Running in mmy phone to find out what you can close.

Also update to the newest OS7 whichever that is. usually the latest ones have better battery life.

What benefits does BIS hold for you?
    08-20-13 06:36 PM
    Nope , never had problems you mentioned on my 9900.
    Definitely , get it replaced !
    08-20-13 06:36 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I will definitely take it to the shop for repair.

jaydee5799 BIS means data compression for when I'm roaming meaning a very small roaming bill plus I gain genuine push-email again with low data usage. I am not interested in pictures, videos, streaming, social media and all that. For me its just for calling, emailing and texting. Old fashioned I know and with a small bill at the end of the month!
    goodayeh and offyoutoddle like this.
    08-20-13 06:54 PM
    Hi!
    I'm sorry but with all those problems, you should just upgrade the the Q and be done with all the issues. I had a 9930 and never had any of those issues so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue and you would need a new handset. You really don't know what you are missing without BB!0.

Take the device to your carrier and ask them to work on one issue at a time.
    As for battery, shut off all the open apps your have running. In the 9930 there can be as many as 50 processes running behind the scenes. They all take up memory and battery power. Use an app like What's Running in mmy phone to find out what you can close.

Also update to the newest OS7 whichever that is. usually the latest ones have better battery life.

What benefits does BIS hold for you?
    Crikey, I wouldn't wish an 'upgrade' to a bb10 phone on my worst enemy based on the experiences I have had in the last few months. It isn't the answer for everyone - frankly they are half the phone a BB9900 is. That's why my q10 is now in the drawer and I'm back with my 9900 and far happier for it. I know exactly what he's missing - a whole world of pain. He'd do far better to find a 2nd hand BB9900 .

Before that, I'd recommend wiping and putting the latest OS on if it is not already on. Perhaps consider a hybrid if you haven't tried already. Could fix some of the problems, particularly the battery issue, maybe the crashes and the gps issue. Not sure about the speakerphone problem - mine does that too, and it is annoying - not wishing to sound like Apple here, but there are ways to hold it to avoid it though! In time I find it happens less as you get used to finding the best way to stop it. Not ideal though I'm the first to admit.
    08-20-13 07:53 PM
    ............[*]BB periodically crashes, restarts and makes a "popping" noise[*]Battery life really bad, going through new batteries very quick. From reputable retailers not off eBay.[*]Holding phone up to ear, screen stays on and often puts speakerphone on. Have to lock the phone before making a call or after receiving it so it won't go between the speakerphone on or off. I thought it would have a gryoscope to stop this. Perhaps defective?[*]GPS gets "stuck" pretty often. Have to force a refresh in Options which doesn't always resolve.
    - Popping noise when restart does exist in some OS'es... To be fair, the noise was very small,and not affect the performance...
    But it doesn't happen again in OS 7.1.0.9xx and up.. I don't think that's an issued
    - Many factor affect the battery life..Shut off apps running on background, set backlight brightness & timeout to minimal as u can,
    choosing the right network mode,remove unused apps, shrink some modules, not using vibrate and led indicator when not needed,etc..
    - Set sensitivity to lower
    - GPS mostly depends of ur network condition from that time

Well,same to you..my phone will be 2 yrs on Sept...And maybe about 15-20 times dropped , with no problem ..
    So,i think those not a faulty of handset..... As Jaydee said ,u should try update to the newest OS ( .923 & .1033 are good OS )
    08-20-13 08:20 PM