1. austriker's Avatar

    So I have been running my beloved HTC G1 (the grandfather of all android's) for over a year now. It is antiquated and old. It is very laggy and slow for me and so I have been admiring the blackberrys for awhile.. I am drawn to them due to the physical keyboard (although the G1 has the BEST keyboard EVER MADE) and just having a great comm device. I dont have fb on my phone, and dont really use any silly apps or browse the internet 24/7. Thats why I have a laptop. And oddly enough, I am think I am not obsessed with a touch screen ..

    So the 9900 looks very wicked. No denying that. But I am wondering should I wait the 2 months (better not be pushed back again RIM!) with my super buggy G1. Or should I go for the switch and fool around with a 9700 (diggin the white) until the glorious 9900 comes out. I am not under contract and dont like to sign away 2 years of my life to consumer screwing AT&T. So does anyone know what a new 9900 will cost? Gosh I might have to sign a contract if its gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Any thoughts? Should I hold out?!

    Thanks for the advice..
    07-04-11 09:13 AM
  2. californiablackberry's Avatar
    If you don't need a phone now, wait.
    If you can't wait, get a 9700 off contract/online then use that until you're able to use your upgrade.
    07-04-11 11:27 AM
  3. TgeekB's Avatar
    Yeah you can probably find a 9700 for about $150 or so on Craigslist. Play with it for a while until the 9900 comes out.
    07-04-11 08:11 PM
  4. BryanTheRed's Avatar
    I'd expect the 9900 to be around $199.99 on a 2 year contract....
    07-04-11 09:46 PM
  5. FullmetalBBer's Avatar
    I`d suggest you to get yourself a 9780 or save your money for a while till 9900 comes out...
    07-05-11 11:23 AM
  6. Capitan Totti's Avatar
    I think it makes more sense to keep that 150, its only two months... And use that money to pay the 200s for the new phone.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Culex316 likes this.
    07-05-11 12:54 PM
  7. austriker's Avatar
    So I think I might try and bought a used 9700 on craigslist. I have been watching the listings recently over the last week on ebay. Also to offset the cost I can sell my G1. I think its probably not worth it to spend 200+ on a 9780 and then upgrade to a 9900 in 2 months. So probably the 9700 is the option for me to tinker around on until the glorious 9900. I really hope its $200 (+ 2yr contract); that doesnt sound too bad. Although that means I will have leave my family plan (we havent been tied down for several years) and get my own plan..
    07-05-11 08:22 PM
  8. Capitan Totti's Avatar
    I suggest you don't. The 9700 (I own one, so I can tell you) is a good device, but there is so much better out there nowadays, and for only two months its not worth the money, at all.

    The G1 can be sold for what? $100 dollars?

    Keep the G1, and in quicker than you think, the 9900 will come around. The 9700 isn't a big step up the G1 when you compared the phones btw. The 9900, is.

    Compare the two phones.
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. T-Mobile G1 - GSMArena.com
    07-05-11 09:29 PM
  9. vr666's Avatar
    I agree, if you cant wait get the 9780. 9700 can barely run 6.0
    07-09-11 06:47 PM
  10. austriker's Avatar
    Oh really- that was one thing sure I was thinking with the 9700, was to load up os6 for a few months. But if you say it can barely run it, then it probably wont be much of an upgrade over my super laggy g1.

    The g1 is definitely dying and I cant wait to get a new phone (ie 9900), I cant remember the last phone I got new; probably the motorola slvr back in the day. The g1's battery lasted only like 5 hours today, which is very unusual- it usually lasts all day.. Its starting to bite the dust.. Hopefully it will last until the 9900, but I kinda doubt it. Im getting sick of not being able to do anything at all b/c its so slow and laggy. For example, SMS takes literally like 10 secs to load.
    07-09-11 07:47 PM
  11. vr666's Avatar
    well i should clarify...it CAN run os6 but you wont have NEARLY the amount of free memory as the 9780. With mine it seems like os6 has to be "stuffed" in the phone. I just think that if you have a choice, its a no-brainer in my opinion to take the 9780.
    07-09-11 07:54 PM
  12. austriker's Avatar
    Yea, merely comparing phone to phone, definitely has the 9780 taking the cake. But based on price it seems the 9780 is at least $100 more than a 9700 on ebay.

    Well either way I just want to minimize costs while I wait for the 9900. But I would love a BB to play around for 3ish months while waiting for the 9900. I bought a brand new 9700 on craigslist (to resell/flip) and it is light years faster than my g1..
    Last edited by austriker; 07-09-11 at 08:22 PM.
    07-09-11 08:20 PM
  13. mobifree's Avatar
    As a proud owner of a Bold 9700, I'd stay away from it.. Wait for the 9900.
    07-11-11 11:02 PM