I am upgrading to the bold 9930 tonight and am wondering what should I be looking for good or bad from the unit they hand me before I walk out of the store. Because ive heard of the mis-aligned trackpads other problems with buttons etc. I am just curious is this a widespread thing or few and far between have experience this? Thanks Mike
    10-12-11 05:09 PM
    its has been many search the forums on this site about problems with this phone, i am the proud owner of this $700 device that does not work....just about a month old
    10-12-11 05:15 PM
    I am upgrading to the bold 9930 tonight and am wondering what should I be looking for good or bad from the unit they hand me before I walk out of the store. Because ive heard of the mis-aligned trackpads other problems with buttons etc. I am just curious is this a widespread thing or few and far between have experience this? Thanks Mike
    The only time you ever see someone posting about any device is when they have issues with it. Had my 9930 since it came out and not one issue.

its has been many search the forums on this site about problems with this phone, i am the proud owner of this $700 device that does not work....just about a month old
    Um how did you pay $700? What exactly doesn't work?
    10-12-11 05:23 PM
    i bought 3 from sprint one for me one for my sister one for my mom and one from verizon for my wife all four are perfect all four work great we all love them!!!!!!!!!!
    10-12-11 05:26 PM
    Thanks for the input at first I was just a little put off by the little problems people had but I hope I dont have em especially if nobody has had a problem minus a few people. Thanks Again Mike
    10-12-11 05:34 PM
    like i said search this forum more people having problems then not...and i paid $616 from roger in toronto... not even i month old
    10-12-11 05:37 PM
    i switched carriers att to verizon and got my 9930 its awesome not a problem .
    10-12-11 06:14 PM
    Congrats. My 9930 works great. Best phone I've ever owned.
    10-12-11 06:21 PM
    Got mines from Tmo and I've had NO issues; best berry I've had. I also know of others who have no issues as well.
    10-12-11 06:25 PM

Main thing I looked for was the squishy blackberry and talk buttons on the left. I was actually given a Bold with these 2 buttons not pressing correctly. Just play around with it as much as you can before signing anything.
    10-12-11 06:28 PM
    I don't think this far into it you should worry. I think most of the issues were with the first run. If you are coming from another Blackberry, do not use the Device switch option. Just transfer data from a recent backup using the Advanced option in th DM. I have had mine for 3 + weeks from Vz. It has been the first time purchasing anything without buyers remorse. Lovin every minute of it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 07:35 PM
    Damn I just came back from bestbuy mobile is where i went orginally and they are out of stock so gonna try sprint tomorrow and see if they have if not will just order it online. Cant believe that bestbuy is out of stock they said " They never recieved them for in store sales" WTF they have the new torch 9850/60. So IDK why they wouldnt have the 9930. Just pissed off right now really wanted the new bold tonight
    10-12-11 08:18 PM
    Had mine two weeks now and no issues. Runs super fast, keyboard feels nice and so far it's been a joy to use. The only real niggle I have is with the tack pad. Sometimes I clip the screen when using it to scroll. But this is probably more to do with my fat fingers rather than the pad it's self.

Otherwise it's a great phone and it's been a great upgrade from the 1st gen Torch.
    10-12-11 08:19 PM
    Never will I deal with bestbuy mobile again the stupid sales kid was like 20 tried saying oh why do you want the bold you should go with this puonenor that phone and then he said they are cancelling blackberry because rim is getting bought out by Samsung he said wtf was he talking *****'s

10-12-11 09:30 PM
    Yeah you get that. When I got my bold from O2 they tried to convince me to get the new Sony smartphone. But a friend who works for them said it's because Sony is offering commissions on the handsets. So the more they sell of 'x' brand the more of a bonus he will get. Had them telling me alsorts of crap.
    10-12-11 09:50 PM
    Yea that's how I felt he kept saying oh get this phone blah blah why and I told him well I want the blackberry and he said well look at this one.

10-12-11 10:08 PM
    like i said search this forum more people having problems then not...and i paid $616 from roger in toronto... not even i month old
    These forums are for people asking for help and solutions to whatever issues they encounter and people with perfect devices generally tend NOT to post about it thus the disparity.
    10-12-11 10:21 PM
    Here are a few of the issues that I continue to see in the Rogers variant amongst others:

1. Call-end panel – flush with screen. Shouldn't be able to feel any transition between them.
    2. Trackpad. should be aligned in the center, not mashed to one side or the other of the hole.
    3. Trackpad. should not be leaning to one side or the other.
    4. Trackpad. light around perimeter should be bright white, not to purple or dim.
    5. Trackpad. slightly twisted counter clockwise and not straight in the hole.
    6. Menu and return button. Should give a click and not be 'mushy' or soft feeling.
    7. Screen/backlight color temp. Should be either bright white or light blue. Should not be yellow or dim.

None of these issues affect performance i.e. they are cosmetic. and some might think overly picky. However, I paid $600 after tax and I want mine pretty perfect the same way I want the doors hung properly on my car.
    Last edited by mhw100; 10-13-11 at 12:58 AM.
    10-12-11 10:37 PM
    Any issues with the sprint variant because that's the carrier I'm on?

10-12-11 11:04 PM
    Mjordan - I have the Sprint 9930. Made in Me-he-co. No issues, really. If I wanted to be seriously picky like some, the scrren is just a touch lower than the button area. Like, a hair's width. The light around the trackpad is mostly bright white with a hint of purple, which to me looks sick!

I'm just jonesing for the next OS release!

10-12-11 11:32 PM
    Yeah the White/purple glow of the track pad looks nice. If I had one complaint it's that the track pad could have been a touch lower from the screen. My stubby fingers sometimes clip the screen by accident. But it is only a niggle. Also my pad is in the centre of the phone. And my menu and back buttons do give a soft click when pressed.

Mine was made in Hungary.
    10-12-11 11:47 PM
    Any issues with the sprint variant because that's the carrier I'm on?

The issues I listed occur from all the same manufacturing plants from what I can observe although I haven't seen one yet built in Canada. Take it with a grain of salt though because I'm not expert but I have seen 30-40 9900s.
    10-13-11 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD