I am on Orange UK and have BIS on my account and a 9700. No extra bundles.

I want to use the internet on my laptop through my blackberry and not incur any extra charges.

How would I go about doing this? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

EDIT: Ideally looking for instructions for what todo from someone that is already on Orange UK
    Last edited by Cheetah05; 06-09-10 at 11:24 AM.
    06-09-10 11:15 AM
    There's a program named tether that lets you do this, but there is a one time fee with that.Also you can do this right from desktop manager, but If I were you I would contact my carrier first andsee If they charge extra for tethering.
    06-09-10 11:24 AM
    In addition to the Tether app/program there is desktop manager and search the How-to forum or instructions to manually set up your BB as a modem. Also check that there are no extra carrier charges for tethering.
    06-09-10 11:28 AM
    I've used the desktop manager with my bold 9700 when i've been working away. Im on Orange UK and i didn't incur any addtional charges. Your bill with tell you how much mobile internet usage you've used.
    BTW im on Dolphin talk plan which has free mobile internet.
    Hope this helps

Dave
    06-09-10 11:28 AM
    Hmm, see I am on a package that doesn't have the free mobile internet so I'm a bit wary.
    06-09-10 12:38 PM
    Generally speaking, Service Providers charge for ip modem..
    Fisrt we should know that there are 3 Access Points generally..
    Wap, internet and BlackBerry internet.
    Service Providers support BlackBerry internet apn for unlimited access from device's browsers.
    If you use your device as tethered modem, they charge extra fee in order to it uses internet apn..
    in addition,
    As you connected as tethered modem, your BlackBerry data stops (you can't use your BlackBerry Messenger,Windows Live Messenger,mail traffic etc. )

Tether app says it use your BlackBerry data plan for your internet access..
    If so,
    As you connected your laptop or desktop pc via this program, your BlackBerry data services must not stop ..I mean you should keep getting mails,using BlackBerry Messenger etc. ( I believe so )

If it works like that...that's great for you and you won't pay extra fee to your Service Provider..

Personally I downloaded that app and disappointed..
    There is another app called pdanet for BlackBerry works fine for me...
    But only works 2G.
    As a result,
    I use pdanet for BlackBerry and not only can tether from my laptop but also getting mails,using BlackBerry Messenger as well at the same time...

Fatih Kurnaz
    (T�rkiye,T�rk�e,Yardım,Avea,Vodafone,Turkcell BlackBerry,Bis )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 12:59 PM
    Hmm, see I am on a package that doesn't have the free mobile internet so I'm a bit wary.
    I've got free mobile internet because I took a new contract Dolphin 35 recently. If you check the Orange website Dolphin packages come with free mobile internet.
    It's best to check with Orange for your account.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave
    06-09-10 01:55 PM
    Generally speaking, Service Providers charge for ip modem..
    Fisrt we should know that there are 3 Access Points generally..

As you connected as tethered modem, your BlackBerry data stops (you can't use your BlackBerry Messenger,Windows Live Messenger,mail traffic etc. )

Tether app says it use your BlackBerry data plan for your internet access..
    If so,
    As you connected your laptop or desktop pc via this program, your BlackBerry data services must not stop ..I mean you should keep getting mails,using BlackBerry Messenger etc. ( I believe so )
    Correct on both points.
    06-09-10 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD