hello people!does anyone know anything about how i can get 3G on my bold 9000?i unlocked it for use on t mobile network and it never goes beyond EDGE. discussion with both carriers had it that the phone was manufactured with at&t in mind so isnt guaranteed to produce the best results on another network.its not life threatening but sure would be nice to be able to use 3G on my bold since i know its capable.any suggestions???
    06-14-10 09:04 AM
    t-mobile and at&t use different bands for 3g. The bands are not compatible.

Only thing you can do is find someone with the same phone that switched the other direction, and negotiate a swap, so you're both on the proper carriers
    Win-Win situation there.
    06-14-10 09:33 AM
    T-Mobile never sold the 9000. If you want a 3G phone, you will need to purchase a 9700 that is branded to T-Mobile.
    06-14-10 09:43 AM
    I went from TMO 8900 to an unlocked AT&T 9000 and though 3G does not work, the internet/data feels after with 9000 because it can process the info faster, so you will still be better off...
    06-14-10 10:49 AM
    oh well thanks everyone,was worth a shot
    06-14-10 07:37 PM
    T-Mo + EDGE + WIFI = 3Good enough
    06-14-10 07:50 PM
    T-Mobile and AT&T share use different bands in the spectrum as other's have said. That being said they do share 1, so you should be able get about half 3g coverage.
    06-15-10 12:28 AM
    T-Mobile and AT&T share use different bands in the spectrum as other's have said. That being said they do share 1, so you should be able get about half 3g coverage.
    It is my understanding that yes, they do share the 2100mhz, but to get 3g you need to have BOTH 1700, and 2100. Pretty much an all or nothing deal.

Now here is my question.

I have read about a million posts on radio swapping with the storm, and almost zero pertaining to the Bold.

Can the AT&T radio be replaced by the t-mobile 9700 radio? It is my understanding that if the hardware is the same, than it's possible.
    Also, I know that the radio file controls more than simply the radio, so if it can not be replaced, can it be edited to include the 1700mhz frequency and allow us to get 3g on a 9000 with t-mobile?

I know it's a long shot, so please, no posts telling me what an ***** I am. And if you are going to reply simply with "it can't be done". please take the extra time to explain why, and where you found your info so I can look it up and research it myself, to avoid further stupid questions.

Thanks
    07-06-10 12:44 PM
    >>> Can the AT&T radio be replaced by the t-mobile 9700 radio? It is my understanding that if the hardware is the same, than it's possible.

No way.
    That is the way that RIM designed them.
    The PIN and IMEI are specific to the individual boards and models.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-06-10 at 06:25 PM.
    07-06-10 06:23 PM
    agree with the above
    if you have a rogers blackberry then u can get 3g because rogers and att use the same bands
    but u can't get 3g on t-mobile unlocked phone and vice versa
    07-06-10 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD