I just got a new crackberry and found out that I can't sync with my work outlook email and calendar b/c it's on an exchange server. Is there a way around this?
    06-02-10 06:28 PM
    I just got a new crackberry and found out that I can't sync with my work outlook email and calendar b/c it's on an exchange server. Is there a way around this?
    Convince your work to pay the extra $15 per month for a BES data plan and add you to the server. Most companies on BES don't allow you to hook up any other way for security reasons. They don't want work emails and company information on personal devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 07:23 PM
    I would recommend asking your employer for a work-issued BlackBerry if you really need work emails that much. If you add a personal device to BES, you give up all control of personal things. They can read all your emails (personal ones too) and SMS. They know who you are calling. They can restrict what apps you can download. It just would not be worth it to me to lose all that freedom. If I worked someplace where it was important enough for me to have instant access to work emails, I would expect my employer to issue me the BlackBerry for work. Otherwise, the work emails would have to wait until I was in the office.
    06-02-10 07:45 PM
    You can add your exchange email like personal email (pop3 or imap) it will only check every 5 min. No contacts or calender come directly from the server they must be added manually. There is also two 3rd party services. One is notifysync and astrasync. There are not free but cheaper than BES. You also can forward you work mail to your personal account. This is done by making a rule in Outlook. As you can see there are ways around this. It depends on what you need from your exchange on your mobile.
    Good luck
    06-02-10 07:45 PM
    You can add your exchange email like personal email (pop3 or imap) it will only check every 5 min. No contacts or calender come directly from the server they must be added manually. There is also two 3rd party services. One is notifysync and astrasync. There are not free but cheaper than BES. You also can forward you work mail to your personal account. This is done by making a rule in Outlook. As you can see there are ways around this. It depends on what you need from your exchange on your mobile.
    Good luck
    That is true for some companies. It all depends on how they are set up. People have tried those workarounds with my employer and none of them worked. They don't allow you to forward your work email either. Work pays by BES data plan so I am all set. They only thing that has worked for some people is to log in from their browser to our Microsoft Exchange mail website and look at email that way.
    06-02-10 08:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD