06-08-10 11:48 PM
124 123 ...
tools
    This may be a little off-topic, but . . . in GA, Gov. Sonny Perdue has signed a law banning text messaging while driving. One of the reasons he stated is, as he held up his Blackberry:

"Pointing to his own Blackberry, Perdue noted that though reading texts will be illegal, when a phone buzzes, the driver won't know it's from an incoming call or a text . . ."

Say what, Sonny?
    06-05-10 08:45 AM
    My husband told me this yesterday, effective July 1 I think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 08:52 AM
    I like ole Sonny, but wow man, that was an uneducated comment, typical though for a politician.

06-05-10 08:52 AM
    Sounds pretty standard. Remember when Al Gore invented the internet...which is in essence a sequence of tubes. Have to love when a bunch of people, a group who are the furthest away from understanding technology, are the one's defining our laws. In Iowa we just passed a texting while driving law, but nothing about surfing the web, or any other Smart Phone functions. "Sorry officer I wasn't texting, I was checking my my eBay auction".

06-05-10 10:20 AM
    This should be a law everywhere cause no text is worth your life honestly.

06-05-10 10:28 AM
    Good, so now you only need to watch out for the drivers that are eating, shaving, reading docs or newspaper, using an eyelash press, applying makeup, watching a DVD, etc... (things I see everyday commuting)

Of course I also see a ton of people talking on or using their phones while driving which has been illegal here for a year or 2. But now people are more dangerous while doing it because they try to be sly and hide it...
    06-05-10 10:41 AM
    I fully support this ban. It needs to be extended to any use of a cell phone whilst driving.

It is not humanly possible to concentrate 100% on driving whilst using a cell phone. Even when using bluetooth there is some distraction. Without bluetooth driving single haned and having your attention split is either suicidal or homicidal.

The sooner this ban becomes universal and total the safer all of us will be.
    06-05-10 10:50 AM
    BC (British Columbia) already has a handheld driving ban. Nothing new.
    06-05-10 11:10 AM
    Most of Canada has implemented all law like this... and its not just "you cannot text" its no use of cell phones unless its hands free... meaning no texting, no internet, no BBM, no email etc etc...
    06-05-10 12:30 PM
    So has most of Europe including the UK - who mostly ignore it.

I have a TomTom with built-in bluetooth handsfree. I have to confess that I do use this but very, very rarely.

SMS, internet or chat have to be about the most stupid things to do whilst driving. Totally irresponsible, imo.

However, a guy in the UK was arrested because (as the judge said) his lady friend was "actively, orally, stimulating him" and the judge felt that he probably had "limited concentration for driving" and, that was illegal.

Jealosy is a terrible, terrible thing.
    06-05-10 12:37 PM
    Most of Canada has implemented all law like this... and its not just "you cannot text" its no use of cell phones unless its hands free... meaning no texting, no internet, no BBM, no email etc etc...
    I'm sorry. But I'm one of the drivers who texts and calls while driving. Sue me.

My life is all about being productive. I am a graduate student, I need to respond to my emails RIGHT AWAY and I need to make sure I get things done.

I've never been remotely close to crashing or dying while doing either of the above actions while driving. When texting I don't even look at my phone, I have such a nice feel for the keys that my typing is nearly 95 percent accurate and it gets the message across.

In Alberta, they have tried tabling the Cellphone ban, but I doubt it will pass.

You guys are right, the majority of the population is incapable of driving and calling/texting, but the minority should not suffer because of them.

And in no way am I saying the ban is a bad thing, but the people who support it are labelling the responsible individuals as one of those idiots who don't prioritize properly. Being safe on the road should always be #1, if you have that in mind why can't you communicate with others if you understand it's a secondary priority?
    06-05-10 12:46 PM
    I'm sorry. But I'm one of the drivers who texts and calls while driving. Sue me.

My life is all about being productive. I am a graduate student, I need to respond to my emails RIGHT AWAY and I need to make sure I get things done.

I've never been remotely close to crashing or dying while doing either of the above actions while driving. When texting I don't even look at my phone, I have such a nice feel for the keys that my typing is nearly 95 percent accurate and it gets the message across.

In Alberta, they have tried tabling the Cellphone ban, but I doubt it will pass.

You guys are right, the majority of the population is incapable of driving and calling/texting, but the minority should not suffer because of them.

And in no way am I saying the ban is a bad thing, but the people who support it are labelling the responsible individuals as one of those idiots who don't prioritize properly. Being safe on the road should always be #1, if you have that in mind why can't you communicate with others if you understand it's a secondary priority?
    I to was in a similar situation. I hold two Bachelor degrees and my situation involved quite large amounts of money.

I took the usual chances. Due to driving skill, fast reaction, situational planning and intelligence I never had an accident. This does not alter my position one iota. Driving whilst using a phone is dangerous and needs to be made illegal for the protection of the rest of the population. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I have seen the tests done by both goverment and private institutions using test tracks, public highways and simulator. The data derived from these test are totally unambiguous. It is dangerous to use a phone whilst driving.

I can probably do it and maybe so can you. I have formed the opinion that I no longer wish to do this and I believe that the vast majority >95% should not either. I cannot enforce this. I can simply state my case and hope to convince others.

This is a public forum and others hold their own opinions and rightly so.

The law however is swinging the way of my thoughts.

Just think about it.
    06-05-10 01:11 PM

you know i just typed out a huge paragraph here in reply to this, but ya i decided against it... not worth it...
    06-05-10 01:13 PM

Eh, I deleted my response too. What good will it too? You can't change people who are inconsiderate and do stupid things.

All I can say is I hope you don't kill anyone when you crash while you're typing. And I hope you're nowhere near me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Artemis68; 06-05-10 at 01:31 PM.
    06-05-10 01:24 PM
    No one's mentioned the obviously "noob"-ish skill level that this politician must display: doesn't his phone have different sounds set for an incoming text vs an incoming call??? Jeez...

06-05-10 01:34 PM
    This may be a little off-topic, but . . . in GA, Gov. Sonny Perdue has signed a law banning text messaging while driving. One of the reasons he stated is, as he held up his Blackberry:

"Pointing to his own Blackberry, Perdue noted that though reading texts will be illegal, when a phone buzzes, the driver won't know it's from an incoming call or a text . . ."

Say what, Sonny?
    Its been a low in MI now for over a month,....
    06-05-10 01:35 PM
    No one's mentioned the obviously "noob"-ish skill level that this politician must display: doesn't his phone have different sounds set for an incoming text vs an incoming call??? Jeez...

Well, there is that too. The thing is, if the can't use a BlackBerry then they probably canlt use a car either, and vice versa. This includes politicians.

I now simply stop my car and then reply. I am sure that people get a better quality response that way.

I mean, have you EVER tried using the BlackBerry spell checker whilst driving. I have not but I have used it as a passenger and that was difficult enough.
    06-05-10 01:38 PM
    you are complaining but this same law will save millions of lives if people actually obey it lol

06-05-10 02:28 PM

How long are you in a car at any given time? Do you really have to respond to a text/email within 15-20 minutes of receiving it? Are the people you communicate with that demanding? Or would they maybe understand that if you didn't respond right away its because something else more urgent was going on.
    Same deal as people who feel they have to answer their telephone EVERY time it rings, regardless of who is calling. Its your phone, its your deal, you don't have to respond immediately to every message you receive on demand.
    06-05-10 02:33 PM
    I'd like to also bring up the federal study done less then 6 moths ago that showed that drivers ages 18-31 that had been drinking and txting while driving still had better reaction speeds and responses then any driver over 65. I'm not going to put in my 2 cents on senior drivers, cause no matter what someone is gonna be offended, I'm just putting the info out there. If we are gonna start letting the govt make all our decisions into laws, our kids won't even have to think for themselves anymore. No more need for common sense for our kids either I guess, just do what your government tells you is safe.

06-05-10 02:44 PM
    I'd like to also bring up the federal study done less then 6 moths ago that showed that drivers ages 18-31 that had been drinking and txting while driving still had better reaction speeds and responses then any driver over 65. I'm not going to put in my 2 cents on senior drivers, cause no matter what someone is gonna be offended, I'm just putting the info out there. If we are gonna start letting the govt make all our decisions into laws, our kids won't even have to think for themselves anymore. No more need for common sense for our kids either I guess, just do what your government tells you is safe.

There are a few different issues at play here.
    If your in a car and aren't 100% devoted to driving, you are more likely at injuring someone else. Thats why the laws are in effect.
    I am adamantly opposed to the seatbelt laws, if your over 18, it should be your choice, your aren't hurting anyone else. Same with the motorcycle helmet laws, while IMO your a class A moron for not wearing one, if you hit a car on a bike, your the only one getting hurt.

Texting+driving the same as drinking and driving, severely limits your response time. Of course a 20 year old is going to be more responsive than a 60+ yr old, thats the way the human body/mind works, it slows down as we get older. SO honestly thats a ridiculous argument to use against laws that are designed to protect laws, regardless of how insane the implementation is.
    06-05-10 03:11 PM
    Texting while driving is certainly risky, I generally wait for a stop sign with no one behind me or a light in order to send a text otherwise I just call the person for a brief convo to get my point across.
    06-05-10 03:19 PM
    I support the the no-texting law, but I think it's stupid that we even need it. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would not text and drive, or drink and drive. It just goes to prove how stupid people are.

People shouldn't do it because it's unsafe and a bad idea. Pathetic that we need a law to STOP people from doing stupid crap.

You can justify all you want with "well I'm young and thus I'd have better response times..blahblah." Well, texting still impairs your driving ability. I don't give a crap if you're better than a senior citizen, you're still impaired.
    Also, just because you're young doesn't mean you're a better drive. There's a reason why rental car companies won't lend to people below their mid 20s without a VERY hefty deposit....young people have tons of accidents...and that's WITHOUT the added distractions of cell phones.
    06-05-10 03:43 PM
    suck it up people, I live in NJ and its been a law for a while here lol. Easy as **** to set different vibrations for call, text, bbm, and well, can still text anyway, just dont get caught...
    06-05-10 04:32 PM
    My point is you shouldn't be doing it period...illegal or not. ><

God, are people really that dumb? Apparently so.

06-05-10 04:40 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD