I feel like Rimm did not fully take advantage of the opengl hardware in the 9650.

This thing is slow with os6, and I understand that rimm will not make os7 for the 9650, I just wished they at least released 6.0.1.xxx for this device with a slight opengl optimization to make the os6 experience similar to the 9780/9700.

Any chance of this happening, or is it just bug fixes for os6 from here on in?
    09-01-11 03:03 PM
    You need to explain what you're trying to say better.

OpenGL is for developers of apps/games, RIM has nothing to do with using it other than they made it available to developers.

The 9700 doesn't have OpenGL, and almost positive the 9780 doesn't either (not sure though). The OS 6 experience is EXACTLY the same as on a 97XX, could be argued that it's better on the 9650. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

You should never purchase a device of any kind expecting it to work better than the way you got it. That's just not very smart thinking, RIM, or anyone else, doesn't owe you anything. You knew exactly what you were getting when you bought it.
    09-01-11 03:13 PM
    What he means is that the 9650 has a GPU, hence support for OpenGL, and RIM COULD have used the GPU to accelerate the overall OS UI and not just third party java games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 03:49 PM
    And for the record, OS6 runs much smoother on the 9700/9780 than on the 9650 due to the former devices having higher processor speeds

09-01-11 03:51 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. I think what the OP is asking is if RIM could bring the "liquid graphics" of OS7 to a version of OS6. This would only work for the 9650 and Curve 9330 because the GSM counterparts lack a dedicated GPU.

I'm guessing that the answer is that they could if they wanted but won't put the effort into it.

Perhaps a hybrid?

09-02-11 09:43 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. I think what the OP is asking is if RIM could bring the "liquid graphics" of OS7 to a version of OS6. This would only work for the 9650 and Curve 9330 because the GSM counterparts lack a dedicated GPU.

I'm guessing that the answer is that they could if they wanted but won't put the effort into it.

Perhaps a hybrid?

RIM COULD but they won't because:

1. Devices are already EOL

2. They have newer devices out and want you to go out and purchase them

And a hybrid couldn't resolve the issue because swapping CODs isn't going to give you "liquid graphics", it would take some low-level programming for that to happen.
    09-02-11 11:30 AM
    And for the record, OS6 runs much smoother on the 9700/9780 than on the 9650 due to the former devices having higher processor speeds

I haven't seen a 9780 run OS6, but from the 9700s I have seen, your statement isn't true. My 9650 blows the 9700 away.
    09-03-11 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD