I have a Bold 9930 and freaking love it to death. I do have to admit though, there are times I wish the screen were a tad bit bigger.

I came up with a mock just for s and giggles.

Does anyone else agree that the phone would be so much superior if it were designed like this:

I'm saying move the keyboard down to the bottom of the phone, and extend the screen to take up the space that is now left over.

Then get rid of the call end/start, menu, trackpad and back buttons and just make those digital like Android has done with ICS.

You don't need the trackpad anymore now that the screen is touch screen and there's no reason to have the call button on every single screen.

The only thing this doesn't solve is the call end button to escape getting out of apps.

Anyways this took me 30 seconds and I did it for fun.

Just want to see if I'm not the only one out there who thinks this phone could use a bigger scree without giving up its amazing keyboard.
    01-31-12 04:29 PM
    Nope, don't like it!

The bottom of the 99XX is great to rest your thumbs on when typing and using the phone. I think it would be very awkward with out that, making it harder to type.

The physical buttons are great and I think it would make it less efficient without those. Send, Back, and End are very important to have close by (Menu key could be done like the PlayBook). On screen buttons never seem to want to work well all the time, especially when you need it to.

Finally, the combo of a touchscreen and trackpad is awesome! I don't ever want to lose that! I think RIM even knows this to an extent, have you seen the pictures and info for the keyboard/case for the PlayBook? It has a trackpad on it.

The screen size and overall size of the 99XX is perfect for me, future RIM phones will need to be very cool for me to upgrade.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-31-12 04:53 PM
    Nice draw up, but don't get how this would make things better.
    01-31-12 04:58 PM
    Nope, don't like it!

The bottom of the 99XX is great to rest your thumbs on when typing and using the phone. I think it would be very awkward with out that, making it harder to type.

The physical buttons are great and I think it would make it less efficient without those. Send, Back, and End are very important to have close by (Menu key could be done like the PlayBook). On screen buttons never seem to want to work well all the time, especially when you need it to.

Finally, the combo of a touchscreen and trackpad is awesome! I don't ever want to lose that! I think RIM even knows this to an extent, have you seen the pictures and info for the keyboard/case for the PlayBook? It has a trackpad on it.

The screen size and overall size of the 99XX is perfect for me, future RIM phones will need to be very cool for me to upgrade.
    - Ah. I'm the opposite. I rest my thumbs on the keyboard ( I just don't push down.)

- I could see the argument for physical buttons for efficiency, however it's pointless to have the trackpad (IMO) when you have the touch screen and the call button on every screen. I could see that being replaced by a digital home button.

- Yeah I guess it's just preference, but I do think the screen should be bigger. Even if they just moved the keyboard down and kept the trackpad row, that'd be a huge improvement IMO.

Nice draw up, but don't get how this would make things better.
    Having the screen be bigger is the benefit of it.
    01-31-12 05:14 PM
    JGuez, Are you saying you never use the trackpad on the 99XX? Editing text? Highlighting text? Selecting small links in the browser?
    01-31-12 05:22 PM
    Yeah there are some 10 Hot Dream Blackberry Concept Designs that were posted 2 days ago with some ideas kind of similar to yours.

My number 8 is a little like yours, except I have the buttons in the same place.

10 Hot Dream BlackBerry Concept Designs! | CrackBerry.com
    JGuez likes this.
    01-31-12 05:36 PM
    JGuez, Are you saying you never use the trackpad on the 99XX? Editing text? Highlighting text? Selecting small links in the browser?
    My thoughts exactly. You never realize how much you still use it. Sounds funny, but I've caught myself using both at the same time... one thumb on trackpad while the other is on the screen.
    01-31-12 05:37 PM
    My thoughts exactly. You never realize how much you still use it. Sounds funny, but I've caught myself using both at the same time... one thumb on trackpad while the other is on the screen.
    You're right about the editing text. I forgot about it and do use the trackpad in those situations however, both Android and iOS have solved this already by the magnifying glass as you slide over the text.

I don't see the reason you wouldn't just implement that concept. I've had iPhones and Androids.....it works very well for editing text.
    01-31-12 06:00 PM
    You're right about the editing text. I forgot about it and do use the trackpad in those situations however, both Android and iOS have solved this already by the magnifying glass as you slide over the text.

I don't see the reason you wouldn't just implement that concept. I've had iPhones and Androids.....it works very well for editing text.
    I understand what you're saying... but the trackpad is what separates a Blackberry from Android and iOS.

I feel a Blackberry wouldn't be a Blackberry without a trackpad, or the 4 other buttons. Look at the evolution of the trackpad: from scrollwheel to trackball to trackpad to trackpad touchscreen combo.

And now get rid of it? I probably wouldn't upagrade to a non trackpad type BB.
    Last edited by dustanh; 01-31-12 at 10:29 PM.
    ridesno159 and lorax1284 like this.
    01-31-12 06:47 PM
    i like bb cuz of the track pad and keyboard and the buttons,
    than why i use bb if they are the same as android and ios

like the recent leak of the bb london, there is no keyboard, i wont be interested
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-31-12 07:58 PM
    Gotta have the buttons , trackpad and space at the bottom. Try using the others that don't have the space, feels like your falling off a cliff. Just say a little taller screen, but my 9900 is perfect, no need to change it
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-31-12 08:17 PM
    Your mock up looks like a BB rendition of the Motorola XPRT. I much prefer the current design with trackpad.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-31-12 08:26 PM
    Gotta have the buttons , trackpad and space at the bottom. Try using the others that don't have the space, feels like your falling off a cliff. Just say a little taller screen, but my 9900 is perfect, no need to change it
    Best part about this post... "feels like you're falling off a cliff." Haha!! Right on! I agree 110%.
    01-31-12 10:28 PM
    Keep the trackpad and send/end/back/bb menu buttons and instead increase the screen on the top to right below the LED (move the 'Blackberry' logo away and push the speaker all the way to the top too.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:39 PM
    I was using my Bold 9900 and thinking the same thing... but instead I wished the keyboard could just "disappear" (leaving behind the track pad and four buttons) kind of like a reverse slider... then it occurred to me:

If you have a blackberry keyboard, with its exact layout, and same feel and everything, but put little capacitive dots on the back... then lay out a touchscreen EXACTLY in the layout of the keyboard... when you click a key, the little dot of capacitive material will touch the key on the screen.

So, you could have a full screen blackberry that, when you want a keyboard, the KEYBOARD slides onto the screen (covering part of the screen, yes, but so would the on-screen keyboard take up that same part of the screen).

Maybe it could be hinged on the bottom and flip onto the screen or out of the way... when you want it, you flip it from around the back or side and then it's on the screen... when you don't want it, it flips away, and you have all touch screen.

The mechanism to do this elegantly, reliably and durably probably doesn't exist yet... but that got me thinking of an accessory for a full screen BB like the Torch 9850/9680: a blackberry brand keyboard as I describe, that is like a sleeve... it slides onto the BACK of the device (with the grip only along the edges) and when you want to use it, you slide it off, flip it over and slide it on...

Ok, so I realized I needed to make a diagram. It's "old school" i.e. not a computer generated mockup, and I'm no photoshop expert but you will get the idea, and that's the point of drawrings, ain't it? There could be a socket on the bottom of the device to power a bluetooth trackpad (or just a dataport for it), so the trackpad might be a wrinkle...

The full-touch-screen device that supports this "accessory" would have to be symmetrical front-to-back and left-to-right so both sides could be used.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 02-03-12 at 08:27 PM.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-03-12 08:25 PM
    Just had to bump this and say "I told you so."
    04-27-13 06:00 PM
    Haha - Nice one
    04-27-13 06:23 PM
    Great guess!!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 06:29 PM
    Do another one so BB can copy, or whatever you see in your clarvoyant eyes, let us know what the 4th x10 device will be like? (3rd one already confirmed to be a curve10) Slider? Folding? Double sided?

Honestly, when I used Z10 for about over a week, I did not miss the keyboard at all, so I don't think BB needs to release more keyboard devices, unless it is sliding. I really don't mind seeing something like a Z10 with 8 or 10 customizable buttons at the bottom, or a way to use keyboard on any screen by force-pulling it from bottom. Just incorporate all original keyboard shortcuts, and bring back missing features that were in OS7 into OS10, I will buy one immediately. 9900 is still the best Blackberry there is, while Z10 is the best BlackBerry-esque device one could find. Like a fauxberry. Diet berry, just 1 calorie, not blackberry enough.
    04-28-13 12:17 AM
    And for your next trick...

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 12:37 AM
    I think it would make a great BB10 device but not an os 7 device since os7 is to relies to much on physical buttons.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    04-28-13 09:54 AM
    I think it would make a great BB10 device but not an os 7 device since os7 is to relies to much on physical buttons.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    Oh, you mean like this? Which, incidentally, is what makes this thread funny.

Future Bold Design Idea-blackberry-q10022.jpg
    04-29-13 02:10 AM
    hey OP my thread is 4 years old , same concept im oldschool http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...bold-d-315671/
    06-16-13 02:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD