The problem with 3Mobile is when you run out of 3G you lose data completely, it uses Orange 2G network for calls and sms only. Beware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The same Orange that merged with T-Mobile last year?

Not sure what Orange and T-mobile coverage is like down where you are but here in London I think most people do ok with coverage, therefore I'm safe to assume the Three network will suffice.
    06-28-11 06:03 AM
    The same Orange that merged with T-Mobile last year?

Not sure what Orange and T-mobile coverage is like down where you are but here in London I think most people do ok with coverage, therefore I'm safe to assume the Three network will suffice.
    You don't understand, where 3Mobile doesn't have its own 3G coverage it will use Orange 2G network but only for calls and sms, not data.

06-28-11 06:06 AM
    You don't understand, where 3Mobile doesn't have its own 3G coverage it will use Orange 2G network but only for calls and sms, not data.

Right, I get you..

However I consider that a non issue, as I believe Three has improved greatly over the years..and if things were really that bad, the company would cease to exist now. Coverage checker

There's times... well to be precise, twice in the 10 months that 3G connection went down with my current Tesco/o2 network, but it wasn't that serious that I wish I could cancel the contract. You have to be realistic that drop-outs on mobile networks can occur..
    06-28-11 06:24 AM
    Right, I get you..

However I consider that a non issue, as I believe Three has improved greatly over the years..and if things were really that bad, the company would cease to exist now. Coverage checker

There's times... well to be precise, twice in the 10 months that 3G connection went down with my current Tesco/o2 network, but it wasn't that serious that I wish I could cancel the contract. You have to be realistic that drop-outs on mobile networks can occur..
    3 have the best 3G coverage but, it's not reliable at all, you'll be getting lots of dropped calls as I've noticed where they supposedly have a good 3G signal they removed the option to roam to orange 2G(I noticed this by turning the phone's network to 2G only and it never roamed to the Orange network) and the handover of a call from 3G to orange 2g hasn't been very reliable. Dropped calls are the norm.

I would activate a payg sim if I were you and test your usual spots. I use one for when I'm away with the kids to a small seaside town and use it to tether the laptop to it.

06-28-11 06:36 AM
    3 have the best 3G coverage but, it's not reliable at all, you'll be getting lots of dropped calls as I've noticed where they supposedly have a good 3G signal they removed the option to roam to orange 2G(I noticed this by turning the phone's network to 2G only and it never roamed to the Orange network) and the handover of a call from 3G to orange 2g hasn't been very reliable. Dropped calls are the norm.

I would activate a payg sim if I were you and test your usual spots. I use one for when I'm away with the kids to a small seaside town and use it to tether the laptop to it.

Thanks for the tips.

Well the good thing about Three's 'The One Plan' is that its a 30 day sim contract, so if service is unreliable like you say it is... I'll simply move on. But as far as no strings attached unlimited data, it seems to be the best offering.
    06-28-11 09:00 AM
    I also think a ff camera should be added. It's not an option I use regularly, but it is something I use often when I travel. Yes I have a laptop with a camera, but do not regularly carry it with me.

My 3 year old loves getting video messages from me, that I email to her. She loves being able to chat with me when I'm in a Starbucks, mcdonalds or any other wifi hot spot. The fact it only works on wifi has not been a major issue for me. In the last 2 weeks, I have been in Hawaii and las Vegas; it has been a welcome feature. I have a 3 week tdy coming up soon, and will regularly send video emails, and chat with her often. I love being able to see her, and stay involved with her through tha video chat option.

I'm looking at the 9900 pretty hard, but when comparing phones, it's the little things that count-- for me. The fact that my iPhone 4 does offer ff video, makes it harder to leave.

As mentioned in an earlier post: I would rather have the option, than not having it at all.
    06-28-11 01:30 PM
    its a pointless feature and RIM would spend money on it for nothing. Most people dont get that BB's are business phones and aren't ment to be as "cool" as the iPhone. Reason being is it wouldnt be used on the BB. You'd have to pay for it as a add-on i would presume and that could be about 20 bucks a month for like 25-50 calls. Also what if your friends dont have that feature? Even MORE pointless and a waste of money. RIM's already down in the hole and adding this FFC would put them down even more. It cost money and people dont wanna pay the money!
    06-28-11 02:39 PM
    its a pointless feature and RIM would spend money on it for nothing. Most people dont get that BB's are business phones and aren't ment to be as "cool" as the iPhone. Reason being is it wouldnt be used on the BB. You'd have to pay for it as a add-on i would presume and that could be about 20 bucks a month for like 25-50 calls. Also what if your friends dont have that feature? Even MORE pointless and a waste of money. RIM's already down in the hole and adding this FFC would put them down even more. It cost money and people dont wanna pay the money!

You are one of the contributing factors, as to why RIM is having issues staying competitive. I know many people that use the video option in their business, and how does it cost more money? Last I looked, the iPhone sold for the same price as a blackberry. And a ff camera did not cost anything for me too use, other than a wifi connection.

You should join the RIM staff, and then be able to assist them with their development; since you clearly know what is best for everyone.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 06-28-11 at 03:18 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-28-11 03:15 PM
    Would it be nice to have a front-facing camera? I'm sure it would be for a lot of people (I'd have no use for it personally).
    However, would it be nice to have RIM skimp on the quality of other hardware components even slightly to pay for the implementation and development of the FFC?
    Would it be nice to have to wait even longer while RIM has to develop a BBOS-compatible video chat client, and have it tested thoroughly?

06-28-11 03:16 PM
    Well folks, it's officially here! In fact, I got to play with a 'live working demo' they were installing on display last week @ a T-Mo Corp store... And YES, it does have a front facing cam!

As to the need, we need to remember that Bberry has always aimed @ business folks as their primary target audience. As one myself who travels, a front facing cam would be awesome to be able interact with my kids via skype, facebook, gtalk, msn, or perhaps (hint hint, bberry) BBM or Facetime, while away on business! In fact, the day I went into the corp store was to evaluate & test out all the other models with front facing cams as I was unaware BBerry added it to the 9900. A few weeks earlier I would have probably left BBerry, but now I am more resolved then ever to stay!

09-05-11 06:54 AM
    Well folks, it's officially here! In fact, I got to play with a 'live working demo' they were installing on display last week @ a T-Mo Corp store... And YES, it does have a front facing cam!

As to the need, we need to remember that Bberry has always aimed @ business folks as their primary target audience. As one myself who travels, a front facing cam would be awesome to be able interact with my kids via skype, facebook, gtalk, msn, or perhaps (hint hint, bberry) BBM or Facetime, while away on business! In fact, the day I went into the corp store was to evaluate & test out all the other models with front facing cams as I was unaware BBerry added it to the 9900. A few weeks earlier I would have probably left BBerry, but now I am more resolved then ever to stay!

No where in the t mobile web spec sheet is there mention of a front camera, just the 5 megapixel Camera, I'll have to call my local store to ask, smaller town might not have then yet. I was in store last week and none yet, if there is a ffcam then case closed, I'll own one Nov 12.

FYI: I RECENTLY PURCHASED A NEW KODAK WIFI PRINTER AT WALMART FOR $69 AND THERE IS A BB APP TO PRINT PHOTOGRAPHS DIRECTLY FROM YOUR BB.
    KODAK Apps for Mobile Devices
    09-05-11 07:22 AM
    I love my Front Facing Camera. Use it to video talk to mostly my cousin in PA and her kid, and my brother in VT.

It's great to see their faces and surroundings.
    09-05-11 07:28 AM
    Why would tmo ones come with a ff camera and others not.. This is also coming from the conpany who's box's state it has a dual core processor and an onscreen keyboard..

There's no ff camera...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 07:39 AM
    Can't wait for an app that will allow Facetime like calls from my Playbook through the Bold 9930! The Playbook has front & Rear cameras and will no doubt be able to transmit through the Bold or other BB devices!
    09-05-11 08:38 AM
    Front and rear cameras for video calls!!!!!!

I'm not seeing this feature on 9900, did I miss it, a must have feature!
    You seem shocked. Did you not know this before your purchase?
    09-05-11 09:43 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD