Front and rear cameras for video calls!!!!!!

I'm not seeing this feature on 9900, did I miss it, a must have feature!
    06-26-11 08:09 AM
    No front facing.. :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 08:12 AM
    RIMM is to far behind everything. If it wasnt for BBM and Email most would have left already. I use it for work and that is the only reason why I am still here.
    06-26-11 01:39 PM
    C'mon now... Is a front facing camera really needed???!!!! I cannot stand those things. I'd never use it.
    06-26-11 02:35 PM
    I tink most people don't use it but they stil whant to have it

06-26-11 02:39 PM
    C'mon now... Is a front facing camera really needed???!!!! I cannot stand those things. I'd never use it.
    It would be cool to have.

06-26-11 03:22 PM
    It would be cool to have.

But not needed or important.
    06-26-11 03:54 PM
    Silly that it is in the Playbook and not on new phones. It means video chat will not be coming to a handheld BB any time soon.

06-26-11 04:14 PM
    Look. I'm not saying it is a selling point. But a front facing camera would be cool to have.
    You don't need to defend your beloved 9900 from me. I want one too.

06-26-11 04:19 PM
    Maybe not for you and your needs. However I travel quite often and the front facing camera on my iPhone 4 comes in quite handy!! I have kids and being that I'm gone a lot, they want to see me as much as possible. I don't always tote around a laptop(and shouldn't have to) to video chat.

So just because it's not on your priority list, doesn't mean it's not on anyone else's. It's about having the option. Whether or not one is going to use it depends on the particular user. But having the option is what counts.
    06-26-11 04:32 PM
    Look. I'm not saying it is a selling point. But a front facing camera would be cool to have.

That's just it. It IS a selling point. Hence why 90% of the "top tier" smartphones now have them. If it's not a selling point, why did Apple put one on the iPad 2. Better yet, why would RIM put one on it's "Professional Grade Business Tablet"?? Because it is. It can't be good enough to put on a tab but not your top of the line HandHeld....
    06-26-11 04:38 PM
    It's a glaring omission, and one that does emphasize the amateurish CEO's thinking.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-11 04:59 PM
    Maybe not for you and your needs. However I travel quite often and the front facing camera on my iPhone 4 comes in quite handy!! I have kids and being that I'm gone a lot, they want to see me as much as possible. I don't always tote around a laptop(and shouldn't have to) to video chat.

So just because it's not on your priority list, doesn't mean it's not on anyone else's. It's about having the option. Whether or not one is going to use it depends on the particular user. But having the option is what counts.
    I wouldn't use it either but agree that having it there as an option would be a great idea. Kinda like how the playbook has the option to turn flash on/off

06-26-11 05:07 PM
    Personally, I think a front-facing camera is better for a tablet than a phone... I never use it on my iPodTouch4, but I would probably use it more if I had it on a tablet.

Also, ff cameras are on almost all computers to be used with skype, ichat, ect ect... why is it also necessary on a phone with a small screen, its not like you are going to be using the ff camera to vid chat on the go (its more something that you would use at home when your computer/tablet is accessible).

We will probably see a ff camera on the QNX devices in 2012, but its not something necessary or important FOR ME, since I have it on my desktop, laptop and iPod...

I will admit it would be a cool feature, but not a deal breaker for me to go to Android or iPhone.
    06-26-11 05:16 PM
    Personally, I think a front-facing camera is better for a tablet than a phone... I never use it on my iPodTouch4, but I would probably use it more if I had it on a tablet.

Also, ff cameras are on almost all computers to be used with skype, ichat, ect ect... why is it also necessary on a phone with a small screen, its not like you are going to be using the ff camera to vid chat on the go (its more something that you would use at home when your computer/tablet is accessible).

We will probably see a ff camera on the QNX devices in 2012, but its not something necessary or important FOR ME, since I have it on my desktop, laptop and iPod...

I will admit it would be a cool feature, but not a deal breaker for me to go to Android or iPhone.
    It's RIM'S flagship device, it should have it period.
    Like mentioned above, it is a dealbreaker for some as all other high end devices have a ff camera and its all about options.I still think it is very nice/fast phone and will sell very well regardless .

06-26-11 09:20 PM

K... Sounds great to me. Don't know how we lived for years without all this. Shame on me.
    06-26-11 09:49 PM
    I am dissappointed, I probably wouldnt use it, but I think it should be on the phone. I will still get the phone but wish it had it.....but until they get skype on the playbook Im still without the use of the ffcam on my playbook.
    06-26-11 09:50 PM

So in your opinion the 9900/30 still isn't good enough to take you away from the iphone?

06-26-11 10:24 PM
    It's RIM'S flagship device, it should have it period.
    Like mentioned above, it is a dealbreaker for some as all other high end devices have a ff camera and its all about options.I still think it is very nice/fast phone and will sell very well regardless .

I agree it would be great to have, but who are you to say that the phone needs it, "period"?

Plus, it could be a good selling strategy for RIM. They've definitely lost a lot of customers to other devices, and I don't think putting a ff camera on their flagship device will bring many of those back, BUT, it also means that their die-heart fans will be much more likely to pick up a Playbook to 'enhance' their BB experience with a ff camera...
    06-27-11 12:22 AM
    I agree it would be great to have, but who are you to say that the phone needs it, "period"?
    I'm just someone expressing his opinion like any other member in here. You said it yourself that RIM is losing ground to other platforms and not putting all the bells and whistles on a high end device isn't good strategy IMO. I have front facing cameras on 2 of my phones and never use them so it wouldn't stop me from buying the 9900 but if it was a must for me,I would have to cross the 9900 off my list.

06-27-11 05:22 AM
    I had a front facing camera on phones long before I bought my first blackberry and before the first iphone came out, I never used it.
    I have a camera on my laptop, I use it a few times a year.
    I don't need a front facing camera, I would rather they spend the extra cash to improve the rear camera or to bring other features.

Sure, some people will like to have it but they're a small minority and as far as I'm concerned why should Rim please them?
    Besides, as big as the 9900 will be, it's too small for videocalling anyway, on a big full touch screen maybe but on the 9900 you'd be squinting.

I would choose BBM over videocalling any day, it's a much more personal way of staying in touch with status updates, profile pictures, picture sharing etc.

06-27-11 06:26 AM
    Well maybe the five of you here have no need for it but there are a lot of other consumers like me that actually need it and use it. It should be there or at least offer it. Based on today's market consumers look for reasons/features to buy a device and not having a FFC is not one of them.
    06-27-11 07:03 AM
    As a rule a blackberry is a messaging phone, email/IM/bbm etc and this is what people expect. There's always a danger in becoming a jack of all trades and master of none.

They should put it on a full touch screen device but not on all models.

06-27-11 07:29 AM
    Well maybe the five of you here have no need for it but there are a lot of other consumers like me that actually need it and use it. It should be there or at least offer it. Based on today's market consumers look for reasons/features to buy a device and not having a FFC is not one of them.
    Make that six. And as belfast alluded to, I'm not so sure how effective ffc and video conferencing would be on a candybar phone with that size display, but it definitely should be included on the top-end touch screen phones.

06-27-11 08:30 AM
    zero zero zero interest in one.....I see my wife at home - don't need to see her while I am sorking as well! lol
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-27-11 08:34 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD