I am posting for my husband as he is helpless

His 9700 keeps freezing (maybe not the right term), i.e. it is dark and won�t come back live. When he is using it, it pauses with the small black clock (like the hourglass for a regular computer) for up to a couple of minutes. This clock is tiny; it doesn't look like a normal icon to me.

The phone is only a month old, so under warranty. I don't know if he should do a hard reset (is that possible with a 9700) or something else. I have seen the little icon on his screen that he is calling the hourglass, but can't find out if that is normal or not. I am an iphone person so this is foreign to me, although I am the one in charge of finding a fix!

I have come here early in the process in hopes that someone know the issue.

Thanks.
    09-13-11 11:18 AM
    I am posting for my husband as he is helpless

His 9700 keeps freezing (maybe not the right term), i.e. it is dark and won’t come back live. When he is using it, it pauses with the small black clock (like the hourglass for a regular computer) for up to a couple of minutes. This clock is tiny; it doesn't look like a normal icon to me.

The phone is only a month old, so under warranty. I don't know if he should do a hard reset (is that possible with a 9700) or something else. I have seen the little icon on his screen that he is calling the hourglass, but can't find out if that is normal or not. I am an iphone person so this is foreign to me, although I am the one in charge of finding a fix!

I have come here early in the process in hopes that someone know the issue.

Thanks.
    Sounds like the typical memory issues that plague the 9700 and others. Regular battery pulls may help as well as an upgrade to the OS.

Which OS is the phone running, OS5 or OS6?
    09-13-11 11:25 AM
    I think he is running OS6 and this is an AT&T phone. He has tried the battery pull as that is something we always try first!

He also has mentioned that his battery drains quickly; much more so than his old 9000.
    09-13-11 11:41 AM
    I think he is running OS6 and this is an AT&T phone. He has tried the battery pull as that is something we always try first!

He also has mentioned that his battery drains quickly; much more so than his old 9000.
    A lot of discussions here about running OS6 on the 9700 and memory issues. OS6 is a much larger OS install than OS5 was and not really designed for the 9700 but a lot of users including myself can run it fine if we 'shrink' the OS prior to install. This removes a lot of unnecessary files and frees up a lot of space to help the 9700 run OS6 smoother.

The process is straight forward and easy to install if you are comfortable doing this sort of thing.
    09-13-11 11:47 AM
    I had the same problem when I loaded OS6.. I did a BBSAK wipe, load OS5 .979 and re-installed my apps.... The phone is working great so far
    09-13-11 11:56 AM
    This phone is new and only a month old. I am pretty sure it came with OS6; can he still go backwards and use OS5?

Both my kids also have the 9700 from when they first came out; neither of them have an issue with theirs. As far as I know they are both running OS6 also.
    09-13-11 12:13 PM
    This phone is new and only a month old. I am pretty sure it came with OS6; can he still go backwards and use OS5?

Both my kids also have the 9700 from when they first came out; neither of them have an issue with theirs. As far as I know they are both running OS6 also.
    Sure he can downgrade back to OS5.

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ocedure-53359/
    09-13-11 12:15 PM

Maybe he needs to shrink the OS first
    09-13-11 12:57 PM
    app00, now you have lost me; how does one shrink the OS?
    09-13-11 01:15 PM
    09-14-11 12:27 PM
    I suggest downgrading to OS 5 to avoid any issues with OS 6, unless you can live with it, OS 6 needs to be shrunken using BB BOSS. A forum search will turn up a thread with a download link. Remember, all of the fonts can be shrunken out. The advanced section, leave it alone, what's checked will be removed, what's unchecked will remain. (Or the other way around).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 05:42 PM
    Update-My husband decided to get the phone replaced at the warranty center. Within an hour of syncing the new phone to DM, this phone is doing the same thing! I wonder if he has a bug in his software or DM. Do we go ahead and try to go back to OS 5 or looks at his apps or DM for an issue? He has very few apps and all are business relates.
    09-24-11 01:51 PM
    Are you certain it's a 9700 and not a later version of the Bold like a 9780? I didn't realize anyone was selling the 9700 anymore and am digging through these threads for my hubby's older 9700 that's having weird issues, too...

It could make a very big difference in the help offered here. I'm sure you know more than I do about what device he's using, but thought I would just mention it as you said it's the hubby's device (sometimes we aren't given all the details even when we are taxed with fixing things). : )
    09-24-11 05:04 PM
    I am the tech mavin in the family, so yes, I know he has the 9700 AT&T still offers them, online only, or at least they did 7 weeks ago. Because my kids both also have the 9700, also running OS 6, I find it strange that my husband has not had what looks like 2 phones with the same issue.

My gut is the problem is with a program he has for the hospital as that is the only add on program he has. We are going to delete it from the phone and DM and see how the phone acts. It it works normally, he will reinstall the program and hope a new version works better.
    09-24-11 09:37 PM
    Well my though of deleting the hospital program wasn't a solution because he hadn't put it back on the new phone!! Either he goes back to OS 5 if possible, or he lives with the issues.
    09-26-11 08:49 PM
    Hi, i have the same issue with my 9700 which the company replaced already a few times. The problem is that it cannot handle that much data & since whenever i switch phones i restore all the data from the other phone the problem remains. Blackberry told me the only solution would be to start with a clean slate & not bring in all my old data which i think is discussting since i need to have all that data. I guess there is A reason y BB has been loosing a lot of market share recently.
    Good Luck
    10-11-11 11:59 AM
    Hi, i have the same issue with my 9700 which the company replaced already a few times. The problem is that it cannot handle that much data & since whenever i switch phones i restore all the data from the other phone the problem remains. Blackberry told me the only solution would be to start with a clean slate & not bring in all my old data which i think is discussting since i need to have all that data. I guess there is A reason y BB has been loosing a lot of market share recently.
    Good Luck
    That isn't the reason why marketshare is dropping. Just do a selective backup after clearing the browser cache, excluding all e-mail maeked as read (it's on your hotmail/yahoo/aol/gmail/other webmail services web server and you can access it online from any compuiter or mobile device), then remove the battery, connect it to desktop manager, let it give you an error to update it's software by clicking Update, then choose either 5.0 or 6.0 when offered, then let it load it up. If prompted to keep versions if you chose OS 5, choose No. Let it continue, then when it reboots the device, put the battery back in ASAP and let it continue to do it's job.

It's that easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-11 04:37 PM
    Update-My husband decided to get the phone replaced at the warranty center. Within an hour of syncing the new phone to DM, this phone is doing the same thing! I wonder if he has a bug in his software or DM. Do we go ahead and try to go back to OS 5 or looks at his apps or DM for an issue? He has very few apps and all are business relates.
    This sounds like a problem I had. Go to Options>Device>Application Management and scroll right to the CPU screen. If the Phone app is listed as the top CPU user, you have my problem. It only happens to some people and appears to be something in the activation process causes the Phone app to go nuts. It only occurs in versions 6.0.0.5xx. I think 6.0.0.543 was the latest official version from AT&T. The easiest way to fix it is to install the latest official software version in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. And I agree with those who've suggested shrinking the OS before you install it.
    10-11-11 05:55 PM
    Well magically in the last few day my husband's phone has been behaving itself! His plan was to try and go back to OS5 this weekend, but since Tuesday the phone has had no hourglass or lose of battery. Nothing different was done and I have no idea if this will last, but he is a happy camper!!
    10-15-11 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD