I just upgraded two bold to .266 (official). After a wipe and no 3rd party apps installed, they have 51MB after a battery pull. After restore of databases, it comes 47MB and 3rd party apps 36MB.

The strange things is that if I uninstall some application later, the free memory does not increase at all. Any idea how to free up more RAM?

Another topics is that I do get varying boot-up time from a battery pull. It can be very long > 5mins or it can be 3 minutes. In one of the bold, it vibrates before the operator logo is shown and on another there isn't any vibration before boot-up. Any idea what happens?
    06-18-09 09:01 PM
    Your RAM is fine. Apps do not usually take up enough RAM to see a difference, some however do use a lot.

3-5 minutes for a battery pull.

I mean this in the nicest possible way. You are worrying too much.
    06-18-09 09:09 PM
    51mb with no 3rd party apps? I have 56mb and 37 apps and 1 theme
    06-18-09 09:30 PM
    i have honestly deleted every single stock app possible. MSN, tasks, memopad, password keeper, I've deleted everything. The only apps i have installed that i use are WeatherEye, BB Messenger, App world (which i barely use), brick breaker (all other games are deleted) and a theme. I have 59MB of free app space all the time
    06-18-09 10:00 PM
    51mb with no 3rd party apps? I have 56mb and 37 apps and 1 theme
    How do u do that? I have about 30 apps and 1 theme and load up with <20 MB free. After a while I start getting serious lag because of lack of memory!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 10:33 PM
    Does the amount of free memory available vary from one carrier to the next? I know most will discuss OS and 3rd party apps, but I rarely see any discussion about the bloated apps each carrier forces on us.

06-19-09 01:44 AM
    How do u do that? I have about 30 apps and 1 theme and load up with <20 MB free. After a while I start getting serious lag because of lack of memory!

He can do that cuz he is aaaamaaaazzzing!!
    sup AG! always wowing us w/ your free mem
    06-19-09 02:03 AM
    My memory can get really low (5MB), but nothing's happen with my Bold.. No lag.. No failed calls.. no nothing... so I wonder what's with all the worries??
    06-19-09 07:03 AM
    I had these same questions on previous thread and did not really get consistent answer. Can any of the technical gurus explain briefly the importance of free memory, impact on performance, how to manage it, any goods apps to help manage it automatically ?

06-19-09 07:42 AM
    If it's not impacting your phone (as era talks about), then there's no issue. I am basically stumped at the obsession with free memory. Getting low is bad, but if everything is working it's no big deal. If you were having issues, then you would need to check your memory and take steps to correct the issue.
    06-19-09 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD