Just curious, mostly... What apps are available for "free" texting? like messages that use data instead of texts.

I know there's BBM for blackberry-to-blackberry, and I know there are apps for programs like Facebook, Yahoo, Google, etc.

Is there an app out there that would not require my friends to also download the app? but could still be used to send free texts?
    04-15-11 05:11 PM
    Email works.
    04-15-11 05:32 PM
    Probably our friend is looking for an app like Textfree for the iPhone.
    If anyone knows anything, tell us.
    04-24-11 01:46 PM
    Whatsapp, Ping Chat! - there are lots of them.

I prefer not to pay for BIS and use GMAIL + Whatsapp instead.

BIS in China cost 17USD/month for 50MB of data!!!
    04-25-11 09:35 PM
    Hm.
    Groupme2.0

GroupMe

i think its still in beta but i have it haha.
    04-25-11 09:45 PM
    Hm.
    Groupme2.0

GroupMe

i think its still in beta but i have it haha.
    Why do you want the app know your location? I am currently switching to Ping Chat! because it doesn't ask for your phone number, doesn't use location or other private data.
    04-25-11 10:02 PM
    crunchSMS has an option for free texting called "Textfreek" - but your friends need crunchSMS available.

Currently, the best Phone-to-Phone is LiveProfile , it works like Whatsapp and PingChat, works on iPhone,BlackBerry,Android and it's the best, that's my oppinion.

I've tested them all out (pingchat, whatsapp, liveprofile and lots of others) and I found liveprofile to work best - and fastest.

for example whatsapp wouldn't work with no wi-fi and no bis/bes for me, but liveprofile does.

I also use gmail + liveprofile instead of blackberry and bbm, but mostly because I hate push e-mail and bbm doesn't work on all platforms

BBM is now (or soon will be) as I understand available for iPhone, but our iPhone friends would rather install something like LiveProfile and be able to chat with everyone from that one.
    05-03-11 04:42 PM
    Hey,
    I'm planning to buy a blackberry bold 9780. But im hooked up to whatsapp on my old phone. So i wanted to ask whether i can use whatsapp on a blackberry WITHOUT a bis and only through normal gprs data plans ? And how ?
    Because BIS is like 4x costlier than the normal data plans.
    07-19-11 02:56 AM
    I don't have a data plan that supports MMS. I have never been able to receive them, but then I downloaded CrunchSMS and I am able to receive them on the app even when the regular folder doesn't. Does this mean the CrunchSMS MMS retrieval is working on my wifi connection? Or is it using data that I'm not even supposed to have? Someone help please! I love being able to receive the MMS messages, but not if it will end up costing me!
    07-19-11 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD