I'm tired of paying $.20/txt msg. is there app permitting free txt msging? (not BB PIN)

My preference is to find free version of SMS texting - allowing text to cell phone nbr ?
    Last edited by carlsturm; 02-14-09 at 08:43 AM.
    02-14-09 08:28 AM
    you can use yahoo chat or google chat that's free
    02-14-09 08:32 AM
    I'm tired of paying $.20/txt msg. is there app permitting free txt msging? (not BB PIN)
    Your carrier doesn't offer an unlimited plan for like $5/month?
    02-14-09 08:43 AM
    you can use yahoo chat or google chat that's free
    thx Sam - any free options for SMS texting ? (to cell phone nbr?)
    02-14-09 08:44 AM
    lol are you serious?
    02-14-09 09:15 AM
    no offence.. but are you kidding me?
    you bought a bold and you don't want to shell out a couple extra bucks for unlimited text?
    that just so... cheap. sorry. but you bought a blackberry. I will assume if you can't afford or don't want to pay for unlimted text you would not have bought this phone........I understand people get this phone and dont take texting but thats because they dont use texting. You use texting AND don't want to pay for it. Thats just a bit idiotic sorry.
    02-14-09 09:50 AM
    I kinda agree with the previous post - without the profanity.

$5/mo gets U 200 txt msg @ ATT.
    02-14-09 10:27 AM
    Everyone wants something for free but this level of cheapness is pretty impressive.

Simple answer. No free text messaging plans exist. Check your local carrier's website under the "free" listing and you'll see what's offered. But I'll save you the time by saying NO CARRIER has a "free" listing tab. There are things included within a paid-for-pkg but thats it.
    02-14-09 10:54 AM
    Can you still change the operator number to one of the free ones? I used to do that when I was at school.
    02-14-09 10:57 AM
    Why don't you just put out the 20 dollars for unlimited texting. You had enough money to buy a Bold.
    02-14-09 11:03 AM
    no offence taken. I'm on a monthly corporate plan that doesn't support the $5/mo unlimited texting and so the $.20/msg adds up.

~~~~~~~~~~
    you bought a bold and you don't want to shell out a couple extra bucks for unlimited text?
    that just so... cheap. sorry. but you bought a blackberry. I will assume if you can't afford or don't want to pay for unlimted text you would not have bought this phone........I understand people get this phone and dont take texting but thats because they dont use texting. You use texting AND don't want to pay for it. Thats just a bit idiotic sorry.
    02-14-09 11:08 AM
    Agree with the brotha here!!

If you want to have it free, you have to pay for it..!! Nothing is free!!
    And 100% agree with the previous post... Blackberry is not a toy or to impress you friend with! If you have it its because you want to access to you email, write to your friends, access to the net and more.. You have to sacrifice more to make your Blackberry worth it! I'm not for the U.S alto i use AT&T when I travel from Canada on my unlock phone, but you guys have better deals than us up here in Canada, and for a couple of dollar more you get unlimited.. so why wasting you time to find something free!
    02-14-09 11:08 AM
    no offence taken. I'm on a monthly corporate plan that doesn't support the $5/mo unlimited texting and so the $.20/msg adds up.

~~~~~~~~~~
    So you say I'll pay the $20 dollar fee.
    02-14-09 11:10 AM
    Try accessing this site from you BB and see if it helps...

Send Free SMS Worldwide - SendSMSnow.com
    02-14-09 11:29 AM
    you could also try emailing direct to the cell number, (the @domain info depends on the network provider)
    02-14-09 11:51 AM
    There is no such thing as free. U will have to pay for it one way or another

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 12:33 PM
    Free text messaging? Tell your friends to get a BlackBerry and get on BBM or other chat programs. That's when you'll have free text messaging hahaha. But will your friends buy a BB and get an appropriate data plan? It doesn't cost you but it costs them. So where does the "FREE" come in?
    02-14-09 01:09 PM
    you could also try emailing direct to the cell number, (the @domain info depends on the network provider)
    Thanks bgnome, that idea has promise. Thanks to all for your replies. Y, I'm cheap - I pickup pennies from sidewalk, turn-off lights when not using...the list is long & annoying to my lovely wife. I do spend on luxury items and I don't consider the Bold expensive; given what it offers. This is my 4th BB and my former plans didn't charge for SMS text.

Anyways, with free internet phone calls, free radio & TV... I thought there might be 'free' version of SMS texting. I'll pickup a few more pennies from the sidewalk & move-on.
    02-14-09 01:31 PM
    You could also use aim to send txt messages.. I currently use beejive to send txts and also have the $5 txt plan just in case

02-14-09 02:13 PM
    If you have a data plan...

Then setup an account with aim messenger and put your friends cell phone number in ur buddy list. And text away all you want. Aim uses data not sms text.

02-14-09 05:18 PM
    Everyone wants something for free but this level of cheapness is pretty impressive.

Simple answer. No free text messaging plans exist. Check your local carrier's website under the "free" listing and you'll see what's offered. But I'll save you the time by saying NO CARRIER has a "free" listing tab. There are things included within a paid-for-pkg but thats it.
    hahaahahahahaaha, that made me lol..
    02-14-09 05:29 PM
    Its not being cheap at all. ATT at least charges an astronomical rate for SMS- $20, for something that costs them a few pennies. I got the $5 200 text plan just encase, but im used to unlim texts included in the plan from Sprint. I think its overpriced and dont want to pay $20 on top of the $30 BB plan.
    02-14-09 06:43 PM
    During my senior year in high school, I took economics, I don't really remember much about it but bits and pieces here and there like growth domestic product, supply and demand, cost curve, demand curve, etc. There is one thing I remember for sure though and it was TINSTAAFL There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. TANSTAAFL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-14-09 06:55 PM
    I agree with carlsturm, Att is crazy. I have no text package. Not because I can't afford it but rather because it's riddiculous. I pay $30 for "unlimmited data" but text msgs are not data? I read an article a while back that broke down att's text rates at $1,301 per mb that is assuming you use all 160bytes allowed per text. We have a backwoods provider here in KY. That offers an unlimmited text package for $6 I would pay that but $20 on top of $30 is a rake. Get with it Att!

02-14-09 09:16 PM
    Correct, this is fine for outgoing, but the person on the other side must have incoming e-mail service available.

Email will not be IM for your incoming since BB has an email feed delay of up to 1/4 hour

Better option, call the person by voice for real IM

The messaging can get out of hand. That is why we blocked all chargeable messaging on our family TM plan so that our 15yo would not spend her time on trivial matters. She uses voice communication and we never looked back.
    Last edited by mandony; 02-15-09 at 11:03 AM.
    02-15-09 10:57 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD